Lars Domino - Längtan (alternative duet)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oscillator
Established Member

Lars Domino - Längtan (alternative duet)

Post by oscillator »

https://youtu.be/VMa5IqcRyh8

As I'm mostly into electronic stuff, I thought I would try a duet with Kajsa, recording more real analog sounds.

The lyrics are in Swedish, and "Längtan" means "longing".

Made with MusE on Debian and some other stuff. The melodica lines are not that good but that is because I am not very good at it, and I had to record it all on 1st take for various reasons. The toy piano has a stuck key... The timing on my piano playing could be better. Well, I like to compose, not perform. But it was great to sing in Swedish again.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

milo
Established Member

Re: Lars Domino - Längtan (alternative duet)

Post by milo »

I like the toy instrument sounds a lot. The acoustic sounds are very nice all around. I also like the sound of the melodica mixed with the other instruments.

I can't follow the meaning of the lyrics -- the only Swedish word I know is "Längtan," and I just learned that a few minutes ago :) -- but the voices sound very melancholy. The very playful toy piano sound doesn't sound like it fits in such a somber song, but maybe if I understood the lyrics it would make more sense. What are you longing for? Lost childhood, perhaps?
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Thank you for listening, @milo! And for your comments.

The toy piano was more about contrast I think. And the fact that I was just looking around my apartment for stuff to play a (analog) melody on! :)

This is a translation of the first part of the song:

And they say
that death, is nothing to joke about,
as the waves crash

it was so long ago
since we saw land
what did my home look like?
poor but warm

I long for you
but still I know
I was not worth your love

I will find you across the ocean
I still remember you
the only thing I still remember

Kajsa:
You left me
for treasure and gold
you told me you will return
your cheek was wet
but your gaze was cold
you told me you longed to someplace far away

(...)
Refrain/duet

and you were my wife/man
and I was your wife/man
and the smell of you
stays, tormenting me
as a reminder of my betrayal

and I/you went away
and I stayed at home
I/you was/were a treacherous coward
I am tormented by the memories of you

So basically it is a story about failure (as many of my text's are), of the culture of being "a man"... He had her and everything, but still he longed for something else...

(This is not where I am now, personally, but I've been there, weak as I am/was. It is an interesting feeling when you can observe it from the outside.)

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Yeah, those are heavy words. Writing about those dark emotions can help you process the past and forgive yourself sometimes.

I just realized that I know one other Swedish word: "wintergatan." My kids like to follow their YouTube channel as they build the Marble Machine X. It's pretty fun to watch, and geeky in a music-tech way.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

milo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm Yeah, those are heavy words. Writing about those dark emotions can help you process the past and forgive yourself sometimes.
Yeah, at least it fuels your creativity...
milo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm I just realized that I know one other Swedish word: "wintergatan." My kids like to follow their YouTube channel as they build the Marble Machine X. It's pretty fun to watch, and geeky in a music-tech way.
:) They do funny stuff. "Wintergatan", actually "Vintergatan", translates to "The Milky Way". Great name!

hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

Wow, i dont understand the vocals but i can definetly feel the emotion behind it. Very minimal approach, but it goes well with the mood. Its also a bit refreshing since i havent heard alot of man and woman duos on a song..
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- www.soundcloud.com/dannylyrica
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

hm11 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:17 pm Wow, i dont understand the vocals but i can definetly feel the emotion behind it. Very minimal approach, but it goes well with the mood. Its also a bit refreshing since i havent heard alot of man and woman duos on a song..
Thank you @hm11 ! It was very rewarding to record.

hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

I bet! great work man.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- www.soundcloud.com/dannylyrica
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I think it's a very nice and touching piece! I think both of you sound better in Swedish. The melodica parts could benefit from additional takes, though - many lines are fine but there are some below the level of the rest of the arrangement. I understand it's not your main instrument but some refinements in that area would make the song shine much more :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Basslint wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 am I think it's a very nice and touching piece! I think both of you sound better in Swedish. The melodica parts could benefit from additional takes, though - many lines are fine but there are some below the level of the rest of the arrangement. I understand it's not your main instrument but some refinements in that area would make the song shine much more :D
Yeah, I totally agree! I was too hurried (and too bad at it). But I like to do it, so next time it will be better, I promise! :)

On the other hand, my clumsiness makes for a nice contast, for me, to all my heavily sequenced synth stuff.

Thank you for listening and commenting!

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

The vocals from both singers are great in this song. I like the combination of instruments too, there's a lot of space, yet the mix doesn't feel empty. This was nice to listen to!

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

crownbird wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:08 pm The vocals from both singers are great in this song. I like the combination of instruments too, there's a lot of space, yet the mix doesn't feel empty. This was nice to listen to!
Thank you very much @crownbird ! This gives me new energy to do similar things!

turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

A very haunting piece. The vocals fit perfectly. I'm sure it's even more moving if you speak Swedish.

I can hear what you're trying to do with the toy piano and it's nearly there but not quite, for me. Great idea though. The normal piano is very nice too :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

turbidh20 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:41 am A very haunting piece. The vocals fit perfectly. I'm sure it's even more moving if you speak Swedish.

I can hear what you're trying to do with the toy piano and it's nearly there but not quite, for me. Great idea though. The normal piano is very nice too :)
Thanks a lot for listening and commenting! It is fun to play around with things you can find in your apartment! :)