The Weight of Idleness (Metal track)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

The Weight of Idleness (Metal track)

Post by Tenaba »

Hello everyone, I've had enough time to create another song. Not as aggressive as my previously posted song "Conflict", but maybe heavier.

You can stream or download it for free from bandcamp through this link
https://royalgloom.bandcamp.com/track/t ... f-idleness

This is the first release in which I've used Pianoteq 6, I love the sound of it. It's also my first release where a 7-string guitar was used. I've taken feedback from the previous track I posted here, so it should sound a bit better because of that.

Hope you all enjoy it. Cheers.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

tavasti
Established Member

Re: The Weight of Idleness (Metal track)

Post by tavasti »

That sounds great!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Nice, like it :D Sounds great. Good balance between the heavy guitar and the piano, nice soloing.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I really like the balance of heavier and lighter instrument tones and segments in the track. Very nicely done. Also good performance on the guitar solos.

Also, I think the track's title is perceptive. A lot of us are feeling the weight of idleness these days. Immersing yourself in an awesome hobby like Linux audio is a great way to fight back.
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

tavasti wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 am That sounds great!
Thank you!
turbidh20 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 am Nice, like it :D Sounds great. Good balance between the heavy guitar and the piano, nice soloing.
Thanks, I'm glad the guitar and piano worked out, instead of the shift between the two being jarring.
milo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:18 pm I really like the balance of heavier and lighter instrument tones and segments in the track. Very nicely done. Also good performance on the guitar solos.

Also, I think the track's title is perceptive. A lot of us are feeling the weight of idleness these days. Immersing yourself in an awesome hobby like Linux audio is a great way to fight back.
I'm glad you liked the title, I thought it was quite relevant to the way things are going with a lot of people. Thanks for the feedback!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Wow, you've been busy! This is a very impressive piece of recording/programming/arranging/performing/mixing, excellent work all around and nice guitar and piano work. As I've said before I don't really understand metal sounds and I'm no connoisseur but this sounds great and I don't need to understand all that to see this took some real work and talent!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Perhaps it's just my taste but I liked your other track, Conflict, much more. I don't feel this one is a step backwards though, on the contrary I think it has more finesse.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Nice job! The rhythm guitar sound reminds me a bit of Michael Romeo's first solo work (The Dark Chapter). I particularly like the sound of the clean guitar arpeggios! The bass is nice and fat too. Maybe just the solo is a bit drowned, though? Or at least I would have increased the volume a bit, which is not necessarily a good suggestion though (I often record them way too loud :mrgreen: ).
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

GMaq wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:51 pm Hi,

Wow, you've been busy! This is a very impressive piece of recording/programming/arranging/performing/mixing, excellent work all around and nice guitar and piano work. As I've said before I don't really understand metal sounds and I'm no connoisseur but this sounds great and I don't need to understand all that to see this took some real work and talent!
Thanks, that means a lot to me! This did take quite a lot of work; in particular it revealed a lot of major timing flaws when I first started tracking guitars. I had to take some time off just to get practice sessions in with a metronome to clean up my playing.
Basslint wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 am Perhaps it's just my taste but I liked your other track, Conflict, much more. I don't feel this one is a step backwards though, on the contrary I think it has more finesse.
Absolutely, the two tracks are quite different in the mood they're supposed to convey. Glad you liked Conflict!
Rainmak3r wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 pm Nice job! The rhythm guitar sound reminds me a bit of Michael Romeo's first solo work (The Dark Chapter). I particularly like the sound of the clean guitar arpeggios! The bass is nice and fat too. Maybe just the solo is a bit drowned, though? Or at least I would have increased the volume a bit, which is not necessarily a good suggestion though (I often record them way too loud :mrgreen: ).
Thank you very much! I can see what you mean by the solo; I bumped the solo fader up by 3db as soon as the rest of the instruments come in for the faster part, but I can see I could have notched it up a bit more than that. And I get what you mean on recording solos too loud! My guitarix patch for solos (just for practicing, covers, etc) is really loud, but I'm more cautious for tracking.

And as for the bass tone, I used a .145 tapered string for the low B. I hate how quickly thick strings wear out, but the sound really is fat like you mentioned. Thanks for another comment.

hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

I like this. I also browsed through your bandcamp and liked the other songs as well. If this is you on the guittar; holy shit.. Lol your sound sounds awesome!
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- www.soundcloud.com/dannylyrica
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

hm11 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:19 pm I like this. I also browsed through your bandcamp and liked the other songs as well. If this is you on the guittar; holy shit.. Lol your sound sounds awesome!
Thank you for your comment, and for taking the time to listen to my other stuff! Yes that's me on the guitar, I'm happy to hear you like it. I use guitarix for the guitar tone.

hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

Quite awesome man, great work.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- www.soundcloud.com/dannylyrica
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I like this track very much. Awesome performance, and dynamics, in the song. Heavy and melodic.

I think the drum programming (?) is excellent too! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

oscillator wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 am I like this track very much. Awesome performance, and dynamics, in the song. Heavy and melodic.

I think the drum programming (?) is excellent too! :)
Thank you! Yes, the drums are programmed; I use hydrogen drum machine for that. I use samples from TheMetalKickDrum, Open Source Drumkit, and SM Megareaper.

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

crownbird wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:46 pm Yes, the drums are programmed; I use hydrogen drum machine for that. I use samples from TheMetalKickDrum, Open Source Drumkit, and SM Megareaper.
Thank you, i will check those out for my industrial stuff!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik