I'm Getting Better

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

I'm Getting Better

Post by milo »

Hey all,

Here is our latest, a disco track called "I'm Getting Better:" https://sanderson.band/2020/07/18/im-getting-better/

This is my first time doing a disco recording, and I was inspired to do it by this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21440. Thanks to @Gps for the inspiration.

This was done on Linux Mint with Ardour 5.12. It was my first recording to use the FatFrog amp (Thanks @tramp!) and to use sfizz with the Virtual Playing Orchestra (thanks to @Michael Willis in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=121199#p121199)

Also, this song is just begging to have a dancing music video, and I have decided to crowdsource it. If you would like to be in the video, just PM me and I'll give you instructions for where to upload your dancing video. More info and rules on the blog post linked above.

Enjoy!
Basslint
Established Member

Re: I'm Getting Better

Post by Basslint »

I really appreciate variety, and although this is definitely not the kind of music I can enjoy*, I can feel a lot of heart in it and as such, I could appreciate that :D

* = I am more into the funkier disco like Chic and Kool & the Gang while this is closer to the disco tracks made by singer-songwriters and rock bands in the 70s (the Bee Gees' progeny).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I like it.

It's definitely the disco I like. :)
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Really nice, I like the "About the Song" note you've written, it's quite inspiring. I also dig the clean guitar tone you used in the middle of the song (with the spoken word vocals).

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Take a break, you're putting me to shame! I must be running at half speed, or less :lol:

It's good to try a new direction, you have fun and learn something different. I'm not sure whether I'm jealous of or inspired by your motivation... probably both :D
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Your getting better :lol:

Pretty good and outstanding mix!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Quite like this. Sounds like the sort of song that would be played in a school setting to motivate the kids :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Whoa! Thanks for all of the nice comments, everyone! A few specific replies:
Basslint wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:25 am I really appreciate variety, and although this is definitely not the kind of music I can enjoy*, I can feel a lot of heart in it and as such, I could appreciate that :D

* = I am more into the funkier disco like Chic and Kool & the Gang while this is closer to the disco tracks made by singer-songwriters and rock bands in the 70s (the Bee Gees' progeny).
Actually, I agree with you. :) Disco is really not my thing, and I don't think I have any disco tracks on my standard playlists. I listen to it only when I am giving my kids a music history lesson.

But recording this song was so much fun, that I just might do it again. :)
crownbird wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:39 pm Really nice, I like the "About the Song" note you've written, it's quite inspiring. I also dig the clean guitar tone you used in the middle of the song (with the spoken word vocals).
That's FatFrog on the guitar solo, played on my Telecaster. Well, FatFrog with an aggressive compressor.
turbidh20 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:25 pm Take a break, you're putting me to shame! I must be running at half speed, or less :lol:

It's good to try a new direction, you have fun and learn something different. I'm not sure whether I'm jealous of or inspired by your motivation... probably both :D
It's my cousin Tom. He's always been more prolific than me, and he is absolutely on fire right now. Usually I only finish 2-3 songs/year.
folderol wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm Quite like this. Sounds like the sort of song that would be played in a school setting to motivate the kids :)
That was exactly my hope. This song captures a bit of self-directed music therapy that got me through a really hard time, and I hope that it will help my kids in the same way.

Thanks again, everyone!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Haha, fun tune! Great job on the mix, a lot of stuff going on there, I have a weakness for clavinets so cool to hear one in a song here. Great song, great message, great work!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, @GMaq! Glad you enjoyed it. This is definitely a "more cowbell" kind of song, so I'm glad there is a cowbell in the AVL Drumkits!

(Actually, it is my first song to use a cowbell.)
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Dude, you have to think about the titles you choose: I saw the post title and you got me worried! :lol:
Fun track, I particularly like the funky guitar!

I'm glad you started playing with sfizz too: ever since Michael started using it in his VPO template, I've used it pretty much exclusively for all my SFZ needs as well. Very lightweight and incredibly responsive developer!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Rainmak3r wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:42 pmI saw the post title and you got me worried! :lol:
:lol:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

What's wrong with the title? Is it a reference to something bad that I am naive about? I'm a bit of a media hermit, so I don't follow movies, TV, or even contemporary music. Should I be worried? :?
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:38 pm What's wrong with the title? Is it a reference to something bad that I am naive about? I'm a bit of a media hermit, so I don't follow movies, TV, or even contemporary music. Should I be worried? :?
No no nothing of the sort, I just saw a post titled "I'm getting better" and I was afraid something happened to you :-)
Last edited by Rainmak3r on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Oh, gotcha. I'm not as dense as I thought.

Or maybe I am. :)