"s17-13" - progressive/electro

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mk2
Established Member

"s17-13" - progressive/electro

Post by Mk2 »

hello,

this one is 100% cooked on linux, for mastering i used free plugs but no remember coz traxx is from last year..

used bitwig & ubuntu + jack audio :

https://soundcloud.com/lnprk13/s17-13

traxx is free (like linux) so if u like it there download button ;)

cheers,
oscillator
Established Member

Re: "s17-13" - progressive/electro

Post by oscillator »

Oh that is one powerful track! Like the dynamics a lot, and the raw sound!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

Thx oscillator ! :)
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Makes me wanna dance. This track evolves nicely over several minutes with no really abrupt changes. The end seems kinda too long, but that's probably normal for the genre.
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

ye, i will maybe stretch a bit.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

There's a tremendous amount of clipping on that mix. My ears physically started hurting within 15 seconds. Clipping gives me serious ear fatigue.

Guys, don't mix too loud.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 am There's a tremendous amount of clipping on that mix. My ears physically started hurting within 15 seconds. Clipping gives me serious ear fatigue.

Guys, don't mix too loud.
hello Jeff, i prefer dynamic, you found it's really TOO much ? tried justly to not break it a lot, like "what we hear" standards...

maybe i will rework it or to release...
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Mk2 wrote: you found it's really TOO much ?
By today's standards, that's about how most pop music is mixed. There has been a growing tendency over the past 3 decades to try to get mixes "louder". Clipping that never would have been tolerated 30 years ago (the mastering engineer would have rejected it outright) are now commonplace. But there are people like myself who suffer actual physical discomfort when listening to prolonged clipping. I got a painful ringing in my ears as soon as the snare kicked in.

I'm a classic genesis fan, and "Fountain of Salmacis" (1972) is one of my fav songs. I was listening to Steve Hackett's more recent remake of the song (2008) and I had an uncharacteristically bad reaction to it. I couldn't quite glean why because the arrangement was engaging, and the performance excellent. I ripped it to a wave file, and loaded it into an editor. Every loud passage was noticeably clipped. I hand edited the peaks to remove as much of the square wave clipping effect as I could. It helped, but that engineer ruined the rendition.

I once posted a mix of some song I made, and someone commented that I should have mixed it louder. It would have clipped if I did. But unfortunately, that's been the trend. I'd rather even go back to mono, in lieu of today's "loud fad".

Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 pm
Mk2 wrote: you found it's really TOO much ?
By today's standards, that's about how most pop music is mixed. There has been a growing tendency over the past 3 decades to try to get mixes "louder". Clipping that never would have been tolerated 30 years ago (the mastering engineer would have rejected it outright) are now commonplace. But there are people like myself who suffer actual physical discomfort when listening to prolonged clipping. I got a painful ringing in my ears as soon as the snare kicked in.

I'm a classic genesis fan, and "Fountain of Salmacis" (1972) is one of my fav songs. I was listening to Steve Hackett's more recent remake of the song (2008) and I had an uncharacteristically bad reaction to it. I couldn't quite glean why because the arrangement was engaging, and the performance excellent. I ripped it to a wave file, and loaded it into an editor. Every loud passage was noticeably clipped. I hand edited the peaks to remove as much of the square wave clipping effect as I could. It helped, but that engineer ruined the rendition.

I once posted a mix of some song I made, and someone commented that I should have mixed it louder. It would have clipped if I did. But unfortunately, that's been the trend. I'd rather even go back to mono, in lieu of today's "loud fad".
i also come from that vinyl/k7 dubplates, but im just from 78 and passed my revolution in rave parties, i mean im in electronica.

i appreciate almost all styles, if its not strange or brain hurting,,,

like i say im not in pop music, but syntetizer a bit & computer music, im tryin just to evolve with that new wave that started ends 80s, but i like 80s pop too, but i listen less..

it's like when a today title mastered for vinyl or numeric dj decks... or when they remaster Michael Jackson for today radio.. but i prefer vinyl !
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

for the editing part, in lates 89 i edited my clip on a commodore Amiga "soundtracker", doing mostly noise (trance) instead of a beautifull wave, but my real hard creation (novice) started only in 2009-2010 with that Waldorf Blofeld syntesizer, my 1st true one. and i passed since more time learning synthesis to play My sound than using their program/patches. i almost Never use sample or others stuff.

and still have a lot to learn, i like textures, aethereal ! :)

edit: ah ! i use Bitwig Studio (linux for that track) & it has all to work on transcient, dynamic... i use some good plugs too. ;)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Ironically, I have a dusty amiga 500 about ten feet away. It has an OS/2 cdrom beside it. Late at night, I can sometimes hear them crying.

Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:59 pm Ironically, I have a dusty amiga 500 about ten feet away. It has an OS/2 cdrom beside it. Late at night, I can sometimes hear them crying.
its floppy 3"5 :) that was the good ol' time, (dont understand the rest...) :?
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

milo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 pm Makes me wanna dance. This track evolves nicely over several minutes with no really abrupt changes. The end seems kinda too long, but that's probably normal for the genre.
i wanted to give a chance for dj's that use vinyl/ears & to mix evolve that seed,... :D

edit: at that moment u feel it long (exactly like me), u aee alrzady mixing it :D

thx for feeding :D
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

when i composed this...

i was bored of windows issues, then it was the 5x time i dropped on linuX, this time was the final drop !

and so i was CLEAN... FREE... and just wanted to express THAT SENSE OF LIBERTY that u can retrieve today, only behind linux or hardies, .