Thorn in my Side

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Thorn in my Side

Post by milo »

Here is a new collaboration with my cousin Tom, a song he wrote. He recently bought a fancy-pants new Roland FA-06 synth, and played the electric piano, organ, and drums on it. I really dig the sounds he's getting out of his new toy. I did the guitar, bass, backing vocals, mixing, and mastering all on Linux Mint 19.3 with Ardour 5.12, using my current favorite plugins: Dragonfly Reverb (Hall and Room), Guitarix (amp and stereo delay), LSP (limiters and compressors), Calf (EQ and vintage delay).

On the blog, with production notes: http://sanderson.band/2020/06/11/thorn-in-my-side
Or on BorgTube: https://youtu.be/5Wz4vQzAFcU

Enjoy!

EDIT: Oh, and the video was made with Kdenlive using images doctored up with the GIMP.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Thorn in my Side

Post by Basslint »

I like the bluesy melody a lot, as well as the electric piano and the layering of the vocal harmonies. Sweet soulful solo!

I think you guys sound great together. I liked your solo act as well but this "band" sound is also great. I would say that your solo pieces are more intimate, these are more outreaching.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Nicely played and recorded! I think you did a great job on the guitar too. My favourite part is probably the bridge, which reminds me a bit of the beautiful melodies Kansas came up with in the 70s.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

@Basslint and @Rainmak3r, thanks for the listen and for your encouragement. I am also pleased with how this collaboration is turning out. It brings out the best in both of us.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi milo!

Enjoyed the new collab, nice mood with the electric piano and great vocal and guitar work (+1 on the great solo). If I were to offer an opinion I'd like to hear more kick drum, bass guitar and organ, but minor points, Great job!!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, @GMaq. I always struggle with mixing the lower frequencies, like bass and kick. I find it is harder to hear when it is too loud, or too quiet, in those frequencies. Much easier for my ear to compare those mid and high frequencies.