Back to 1993

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Back to 1993

Post by folderol »

This was originally composed using a Yamaha SY22 and Mk1 Roland Soundcanvas with an Acorn Archimedes computer.

I've now transferred the MIDI file to Rosegarden then set up Yoshimi and basically rebuilt it, but with a better range of sounds, and also some new backing and counter melodies.

I've uploaded it here:
https://soundcloud.com/soft-sounds/rain

By the way, the early 1990s were probably a peak in my creativity. In the first place I had the above new and exciting synths and computing capability, but also was in a low stress, well paid job and between relationships.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Bella
Established Member

Re: Back to 1993

Post by Bella »

Lovely :)

I started working with synths around the same time, but didn't get into MIDI until 95 when I bought a Boss DR-5. I would then use that to sequence, bypassing the internal GM bank to use an Akai synth's patches.

Thanks for sharing!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Pleased you enjoyed it. I wonder how many others here started out in a similar way to us.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I like it a lot! Nice melody!

What about adding a really deep bass line?

I remember a line from wendy Carlos (switched on bach classic) where she said that the magic of bach's Air piece was not from the melody, but from the bass line. And the baroque composers were the all time masters if the bass line. :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

folderol wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:15 pm This was originally composed using a Yamaha SY22 and Mk1 Roland Soundcanvas with an Acorn Archimedes computer.
Nice song :)

Just for the record I'll say I'm not a keyboard player but more a sequencing tinkerer! I had an Acorn RiscPC but never tried to do any audio with it.

I did, however, sequence on an Amiga 500. I had a sampler as well! Exciting times those. I can't remember the name of the MIDI software I had but it had a massive manual :shock: I used my Step Father's Roland U20 to sequence and had a lot of fun. I do remember I had to write a "driver" for the software to talk to the U20. It's all a bit vague after all these years though.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Very nice melody and gentle sounds. I agree that a solid bass would give the song a stronger anchor. (It's also nice to find another fan of Switched-on Bach!)
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

milo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:52 pm (It's also nice to find another fan of Switched-on Bach!)
I remember borrowing the lp at the local library. Playing it again and again and recording it on a cassette... Classic and formative stuff for a young person.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks a lot guys.
The bass part is somewhat a bone of contention. There is a fairly solid bass line there but it is relatively subdued, sort of, you'd notice if it was missing. It was much louder on the 1993 version, and I had complaints the it was too overpowering :roll:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

@folderol: I guess it depends on the mood you are trying to create. I really like this track as-is. A stronger bass would change the feel of the song, maybe in a way you don't want.

@oscillator: I bought several vintage Walter Carlos LPs at a secondhand store when I was a teenager, and listened to them hours on end. (It wasn't until years later that I learned that she was transgendered and preferred the name Wendy.) I very stupidly got rid of the records maybe 10 years ago because I didn't even have a record player to play them on. I should have just kept them, because they are such classics: Switched-On Bach I and II, and The Well-Tempered Synthesizer. I found a copy of these used on CD for a reasonable price a few years ago and snatched them up. The Switched-On Brandenburgs are fantastic! I also quite like her rendering of Tocatta and Fuge in D Minor on Switched-On Bach 2000.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@folderol

Gorgeous Soundscapes! I wish I could live in there!! :D
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I love the sounds! The first minute in particular reminds me a bit of "The Leftovers" soundtrack.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks again people :)
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi,very relaxing track :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)