Ballerina

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Ballerina

Post by Rainmak3r »

Hi all,

I'm currently working on another track, but this morning I felt like putting that on hold and sharing a much shorter and simpler tune instead:

https://soundcloud.com/lminiero/ballerina

In the same spirit as Last Summer, this is a very short and simple reflection, where a tune I composed about 20 years ago (looks like it's all I'm sharing, recently!) is played by a music box that slowly winds down. I wanted to keep it simple, in a way that possibly reminds a bit of Michael Jackson's beautiful "Little Susie" first part. Ideally this will be the intro to the collection of tracks I've started composing on fascinating women from past or myths (of which Eurydice, Mary and Scheherazade are all a part of), and the plan is to sooner or later work more on the theme for a longer "reprise".

Nothing else to tell on this, very basic! The wind-up sound effect I found on FreeSound.org, while the music box MIDI lines were written with Lilypond, and then rendered in Ardour using the free TwinkleStar MusicBox soundfont. DragonFly Reverb was used to make it more magical.

Hope you'll enjoy this!
milo
Established Member

Re: Ballerina

Post by milo »

This is a very nice melody, and a very convincing sound font. For as much as you wind it up at the beginning, I think the ritardando starts too soon and happens too gradually, though.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:46 pm This is a very nice melody, and a very convincing sound font. For as much as you wind it up at the beginning, I think the ritardando starts too soon and happens too gradually, though.
Suspension of disbelief... it's a very old music box that dies way too soon! :mrgreen:
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Beautiful!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Lovely little tune, and fine idea.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}