Learn for Myself

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Learn for Myself

Post by milo »

Here is a track I have been working on for a few weeks. https://alansanderson.band/2020/04/28/learn-for-myself/. It is about growing up in a believing home, but finding my own reasons to have faith.

I thought I would try something new and make a music video, so here it is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSD6RJl0eI. It's more like a slide show than a music video.

This was a solo recording done in my basement studio using all Free Software: Linux Mint 19.3, Ardour 5.12.0, Hydrogen drum machine, Guitarix virtual amplifier and effects, Dragonfly Reverb 3, Calf Studio Gear, setBfree virtual tonewheel organ, Linux Studio Plugins, and AVL Drumkits. I also used MuseScore to create the tablature. The video was made using iMovie on an iPad. Maybe I’ll try a Linux tool next time, but I’ve got to admit that that iPad app was pretty slick.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Learn for Myself

Post by GMaq »

Hi milo!

This is a really good production and mix! The respective instruments all have a good spot in the mix and you have some nice sounds in there with the organ, piano and pads. The vocals are very clear and perfectly in tune. The video was quite good too and as someone who does a lot of video work...if you find something...anything... that gives decent results without a lot of futzing just go with it!

I can somewhat relate to the subject matter having grown up in a fundamentalist Christian home as well, been there and got the T-shirt! I would agree you do indeed have to find your own way spiritually in whatever direction that speaks to you as an individual (even atheism). The only paradox I find is... the more I learn the less I know! Anyway enough psychobabble... Great work!! Thanks for sharing and keep it up!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, GMaq. I was actually thinking of you when I panned the bass to left ear. :)

I also think there is truth in your psychobabble. It is impossible to have someone else's faith. You have to have your own.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, bitsnpcs. I appreciate the kind words. I have also used Openshot for a few projects, and have dabbled with Kdenlive. Nothing I have seen in Linux holds a candle to the ease of use in this iPad app. The only problem is the cost of staying on the Apple upgrade curve, so this is probably not a long term solution. :)
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Not my genre (and I can't say I relate much to the topic :mrgreen: ), but the song is beautifully written, and I like how it builds up: nothing is out of place, and the mix is great! I particularly like the sound of the clean electric guitars (just chorus or flanger?). Nice work!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, Rainmak3r. I appreciate your comment.

Nothing too fancy on the electric guitars. The one that plays chords during the chorus uses the Guitarix amplifier and stereo tremolo. The one in the bridge has a Guitarix amp, driven just to the point of having a slight edge. I think both have a bit of compression and reverb too. Guitarix is so awesome. I just love that tool!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Love the arrangement! The choir is great, and could maybe be stronger in the mix! It's a great song, too, I like personal stuff.

The percussion is quiet but very effective!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, Oscillator. This was my first attempt to deep-layer vocals, and I am pleased with how they turned out. My cousin sent me a video about how the Carpenters used to overdub their voices 3 or 4 layers deep, and it got me excited to try it. I will definitely revisit that technique.

I suppose they could have been louder, but I didn't want to overdo it. Instead I decided to err on the side of understatement.

Thanks for listening, and for your comments.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Having experienced this myself as a Catholic revert, I can relate to the lyrics!

I think that a rebellion can be pretty normal, especially as a teenager, but many times I've asked myself, what would have happened if I didn't? Maybe I will write a song about it, one day, thank you for the inspiration and also for the great song! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

@Basslint, I thought you would enjoy this track, and I'm glad to hear that you do. Thanks for your comment. I can't wait to hear what you come up with for your song!
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Milo, thanks for this one. I can relate and as in Basslint's sig, "...and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common."

Now a tech question..
milo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:22 pm The video was made using iMovie
Did you use the "Ken Burns" plugin on this?

I ask, because before i melted down my mac, i was cutting a video in Adobe Premier and i very much wanted to use it on that project. If you did, i love the way used it, if not how did you pull the effect off?
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I don't remember anything called Ken Burns. Basically you drop still images on the timeline and choose the starting and ending zoom points using pinch gestures. (This was on an iPad.) It's a pretty slick interface.

I've been using kdenlive for a current project, and it's ... okay.

Thanks for listening and for your very nice comment. It's nice to know that there are a few believers out there. God bless!
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

milo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 am I don't remember anything called Ken Burns.
Ok, thanks.
milo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 am I've been using kdenlive for a current project, and it's ... okay.
Yeah, it has frustrated the heck out of me.
carlv wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:37 pm It's nice to know that there are a few believers out there. God bless!
A big thanks here and I understand sentiment, but 'believer' is not a term that i'm particularly comfortable with...Instead, i'd like to think of myself as a thoughtful and loving human being. Though i must say. living up to that has not been my strong point. It's a stretch, but i try. :wink:

More Ibanez!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 am I've been using kdenlive for a current project, and it's ... okay.
Have you tried openshot too? I remember using it some time ago for a simple video collage and it seemed quite powerful.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

carlv wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:37 amA big thanks here and I understand sentiment, but 'believer' is not a term that i'm particularly comfortable with...Instead, i'd like to think of myself as a thoughtful and loving human being. Though i must say. living up to that has not been my strong point. It's a stretch, but i try. :wink:
Understood. :)
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:39 amHave you tried openshot too? I remember using it some time ago for a simple video collage and it seemed quite powerful.
Yes, for a couple of projects. It is similar to kdenlive, IMO, in terms of power and usability. It does the job, but doesn't really wow me.