Lies

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Lies

Post by Rainmak3r »

Hi all,

quarantine boredom struck again, so I'm sharing a song I actually wrote almost 20 years ago (the MIDI file says 2001, I'm old!). The original MIDI file was not really usable in its existing state, so I rewrote and re-arranged everything from scratch (including panning) using MuseScore, and then imported it in Ardour for the usual work. I also added a solo (my first attempt to do that since my very first track published here). It took me a couple of days to do everything, and you can listen to it here:

https://soundcloud.com/lminiero/lies

Just to give you some context on its story, I remember writing this at the time as a power ballad, and calling the file "armonia.mid" since I liked the harmonic progressions I had come up with (and I still do). The piece was originally meant to be the second part of a three-tracks suite called "Hope dies last", and had an awful baroque ending that I got rid of for the more somber outro you can hear now. I changed the title to "Lies" because some time ago a few vocal lines came to mind, and the word "lies" too: there currently are no lyrics, actually, but I liked the idea of the story of someone coming to terms with a person who lied to them, so the name stayed.

Technically speaking, nothing special, as it's pretty much the same process I always follow, with a few differences:
  • The harp is exactly the same I used in Eurydice, so nothing new.
  • Bells playing alternately left and right is a trick I used in the original MIDI file as well. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that sounded better than the tubular bells in the default Fluidsynth soundfont, so I stuck with that.
  • The pad was done using Yoshimi, instead of ZynAddSubFx. The reason is simply that the Yoshimi LV2 plugin is MUCH more user-friendly than the one by ZynAddSubFx (e.g., in terms of choosing the sound you want), which is a pity because I like the latter more (and from my understanding, Yoshimi forked ZynAddSubFx itself some time ago). It does come with some bugs of its own, though, as sometimes for no reason at all it chose to lose the pitch and play out of tune, until I restarted Ardour.
  • Strins were done entirely using the KBH Ultima Strings soundfont: I explained how I used them for the first time as an additional layer for strings in Scheherazade, and I liked the effect, so I wanted to check what it would sound like if I used it for all string sections instead. I must say I really like how they sound, even though weirdly enough the soundfont is tuned one octave lower than it's written: I decided to keep it that way (in MuseScore I actually wrote strings to sound higher), rather than transposing, as I did like it more that way.
  • The occasional flute is from the default Fluidsynth soundfont, while the occasional horns come from Virtual Playing Orchestra instead.
  • Drums, bass and guitars were done as usual. As anticipated, this was also the first time I invested more time on writing and playing a meaningful solo: it took A LOT of attempts to get to what you can hear there, which reminded me why I like composing so much more than playing...
  • The piano at the end is played by the default Fluidsynth soundfont too: I tried using the Salamander SFZ, but it sounded way worse for some reason. It's likely I was doing something wrong (in how the piano lines are written first of all), but I didn't spend too much time on it.
  • As usual, I used Dragonfly Reverb for everything.
I hope you'll enjoy it, and stay safe!
folderol
Established Member

Re: Lies

Post by folderol »

I did indeed enjoy this. Nice work.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

folderol wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 pm I did indeed enjoy this. Nice work.
Thanks!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Once again you surprise me with the nuances you can get out of some of these pretty modest sound libraries! And uhhmm that wasn't an 'attempt' at a solo that was a great solo...period! My only critique would be more drums please, if you're going to morph from classical to power ballad, bring the drum power! :D
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:48 pm Hi,

Once again you surprise me with the nuances you can get out of some of these pretty modest sound libraries! And uhhmm that wasn't an 'attempt' at a solo that was a great solo...period!
Hahaha thanks! I only had to play it like 234 times to get there... :lol:
GMaq wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:48 pm My only critique would be more drums please, if you're going to morph from classical to power ballad, bring the drum power! :D
Fair point! I actually tried to balance everything much more than I usually do, since typically Ardour complains everything is way too loud, when I export, and it normalizes the whole track by -8dB or around that. This time I managed to keep the mix "quieter" in the first place, but I'm afraid drums did indeed get a bit drowned in the mix. I'll improve next time 8)

Thanks for the feedback!
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Great track, I love the harmony at the end of the solo! Would you mind sharing a bit of how you made your lead/solo tone with Guitarix / Rakarrack? I like how the artificial harmonic you played pops out, and the kind of scratchy sound from string noise.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

crownbird wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:56 pm Great track, I love the harmony at the end of the solo! Would you mind sharing a bit of how you made your lead/solo tone with Guitarix / Rakarrack? I like how the artificial harmonic you played pops out, and the kind of scratchy sound from string noise.
Thanks! The harmony is the one I recorded first, since it was the easy part :mrgreen:

I actually didn't make the tone myself, as I'm pretty incompetent at that... I used the "Nevermore / Lead" preset in Guitarix for the pre-solo, the solo, and the harmonized part: I only modified the volume to make it a bit quieter, since by default it's too loud for my taste. I feel it has a way too aggressive noise gate setting, but it also has an echo that makes it sound indeed quite cool for solos.

Rakarrack I only used for the clean guitars in the first part (that are probably not very audible, though), while I used the "rogues2" preset from Guitarix for heavy guitars in the last part: this one I modified a bit too, but just to remove all the reverb it adds that I didn't need here.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:03 pm I used the "Nevermore / Lead" preset in Guitarix for the pre-solo, the solo, and the harmonized part
Pretty sure this is it, even though I think I installed it through Guitarix's UI (which does pick presets from musical-artifacts I think): https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/136
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Great compositions again! I think I can't do this type of music as I'm too impatient. I need to lay down a beat in some minutes an then start building the track :mrgreen: The flutes at 2:30 sound a bit off / out of tune (?) (or is it the guitar flute combination). The guitar reminds me on Brian May.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

lilith wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:56 pm Great compositions again! I think I can't do this type of music as I'm too impatient. I need to lay down a beat in some minutes an then start building the track :mrgreen: The flutes at 2:30 sound a bit off / out of tune (?) (or is it the guitar flute combination). The guitar reminds me on Brian May.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

On the flute, it's very likely something in my guitar playing that makes it feel odd, since the flute is scripted and so I don't think it's hitting the wrong note: I'm not at my laptop right now, I'll have to check later if they hit discordant notes at some point, which is possible.

Brian May? I wish!! :mrgreen:
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:05 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:03 pm I used the "Nevermore / Lead" preset in Guitarix for the pre-solo, the solo, and the harmonized part
Pretty sure this is it, even though I think I installed it through Guitarix's UI (which does pick presets from musical-artifacts I think): https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/136
Thank you for linking it. It's pretty fun to shred on, and you can get that scratchy sound for leads that I like.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Great stuff! I love what is happening around 3 minutes, the chords...and then we get the dual solo guitars. Well done!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

oscillator wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:57 pm Great stuff! I love what is happening around 3 minutes, the chords...and then we get the dual solo guitars. Well done!
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Very nice work, and I agree with the previous points made re: the awesome humble brag of your guitar solo, the generally good sounds your are getting out of your setup, and the need for more drums. The guitar solo is mixed a bit loud. It is a good solo, and good performance, but it totally drowns out everything else happening in the song.

The flute sounds a bit synth-y to me. We need to get you a live orchestra to play with.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:25 pm Very nice work, and I agree with the previous points made re: the awesome humble brag of your guitar solo, the generally good sounds your are getting out of your setup, and the need for more drums. The guitar solo is mixed a bit loud. It is a good solo, and good performance, but it totally drowns out everything else happening in the song.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm honestly surprised so many liked the solo, and I'm really happy about that, especially considering the amount of times I had to repeat it until it came out good :lol: I never feel "great" about my solos as I always felt I'm to a real guitar player what a conjurer is to a true wizard: it may look like I'm doing something cool, but it's mostly tricks, smoke and mirrors... in this case, a lot of tremolos and trills to try and "glue" the faster legato parts (something Dave Murray from Iron Maiden is a master of). It may be a misplaced impostor syndrome, who knows :mrgreen:

It's true that it sounds a bit too loud, though. Actually, I'm not very happy with how any of the guitars sound, here: the distinction between guitars and the samples instruments is too net, and I feel they didn't merge too well.
milo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:25 pm The flute sounds a bit synth-y to me. We need to get you a live orchestra to play with.
Hahaha I'd love that! Unfortunately I haven't found a decent flute yet: I don't like the one in VPO, which is a pity because VPO has in general very good sounds for most of the other instruments. I chose the Fluidsynth one for Eurydice too, and it sounded quite fake there as well. I'll have to check if there are other samples/soundfonts/SFZ/VST packages out there just for the flute for the next time I need one.

Thanks for the feedback!