WUHAN

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

WUHAN

Post by lilith »

Maybe a bit too predictable :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/wuhan
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: WUHAN

Post by Rainmak3r »

I don't generally like electronic music, but for some weird reason any time you share a track and I listen to it, I love it! This one has a videogame vibe: I think it wouldn't feel out place in a new Hotline Miami chapter :mrgreen:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi lilith,

I agree this is a good earworm, you keep it interesting with things like that dropped drum beat and adding interesting percs all the while keeping with a pronounced main melody and the urgent bass. I like some of the retro sounds in this one too. One of the synths is very Prophet5-like.. And as usual a good mix!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks guys. Yes, the bass is done with Repro 1 from U-he which is undistinguishable from the Prophet 5 ... soundwise not pricewise :mrgreen: .
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm I don't generally like electronic music, but for some weird reason any time you share a track and I listen to it, I love it! This one has a videogame vibe: I think it wouldn't feel out place in a new Hotline Miami chapter :mrgreen:
You really don't like any electronic music at all??
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

lilith wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:00 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm I don't generally like electronic music, but for some weird reason any time you share a track and I listen to it, I love it! This one has a videogame vibe: I think it wouldn't feel out place in a new Hotline Miami chapter :mrgreen:
You really don't like any electronic music at all??
Not much... I'm much more a rock and orchestral kind of guy! There are some exceptions to the rule, but they're sparse. I do more often like it when it's more "atmospheric", though (like when it tends to dark ambient), which is probably why I usually enjoy your efforts.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

This track has a great sound. I love your compositions and mixes.

I wouldn't say that it is predictable - if by "predictable" you mean "boring." Music has to be predictable, to a certain extent, in order to be enjoyed by most people. (For example, how many people, even music lovers, actually like listening to free jazz? Very few.) And this genre in particular tends to utilize repetition more than others. But you have enough variation -- new sounds, altering drum patterns, sampled voices, etc -- to make the track interesting from start to finish. It is one of your strengths.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

milo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:14 pm (For example, how many people, even music lovers, actually like listening to free jazz? Very few.)
:D God bless you for the bravery to say this.. :lol:

Oh, and God bless the "very few" as well.. :wink:

Now back to "WUHAN"
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:18 pm
milo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:14 pm (For example, how many people, even music lovers, actually like listening to free jazz? Very few.)
:D God bless you for the bravery to say this.. :lol:

Oh, and God bless the "very few" as well.. :wink:

Now back to "WUHAN"
I'm among those that really can't appreciate jazz much, I'm afraid :mrgreen: But for the same reason why I don't like 20th century Classical Music either, though: I just don't find it pleasant, most of the times it feels like experimentation just for the sake of it so I can't enjoy it.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I could just as easily have given Schoenberg as an example. Undoubtedly there will be someone speak up in defense of Schoenberg, or Ornette Coleman, but the fact is that most people find their styles unpleasant to listen to. Including me. :)

Apologies to @lilith for hijacking this thread about his really great recording and launching into a tangential and esoteric musicology discussion.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:22 pm I'm among those that really can't appreciate jazz much, I'm afraid :mrgreen:
"jazz" is a very generic term. There's rockier form of jazz for instance which is still jazz. Eg. Mahavishnu Orchestra. Weather Report. Snarky Puppy, etc.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:00 pm Maybe a bit too predictable :lol:
Ganz genau.

Absolutely. At that stage a possibility is to actually underline that it is very predictable and make it a feature. Kraftwerk were really good at that.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

jonetsu wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:27 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:22 pm I'm among those that really can't appreciate jazz much, I'm afraid :mrgreen:
"jazz" is a very generic term. There's rockier form of jazz for instance which is still jazz. Eg. Mahavishnu Orchestra. Weather Report. Snarky Puppy, etc.
True... and I love Al Di Meola, just as I love bossanova music, and both can be considered jazz one way or another. I'd say the kind of jazz where notes seem played at random (even though I know they're not) is really not my cup of tea, then!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks Milo. No problem when you talk about Jazz. I'm not really listening to Jazz. I quite often find it boring. :/

@jonetsu : you mean to reduce it more and make it more repetitive?

I thought the topic is predictable, not so much the music.
I also sampled our Bundeskanzlerin, but it was unlistenable :D
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

lilith wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:13 pmI thought the topic is predictable, not so much the music.
Oh. Well, I feel silly. LOL

This pandemic has had such an impact on so many people in the world, almost simultaneously, that I think it would be absurd to expect creative people to ignore the topic. :)