under cover

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

carlv
Established Member

under cover

Post by carlv »

Ran across this tab a while back, liked and took a shot at it..
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/bu ... ro-2075761

Set up in Ardour, then on to Mixbus v5. While tinkering with it on-n-off, i got wind of (on this forum) and snagged the free 8 track version of Bitwig Studio. Learning my way around it, i wound up with the intro. Then back into Mb5. Lots of would've-could've-should've as far as the mix, but i got burnt out and took a long break from it all. Seems to fit the current times, so throwing it up for a bit.
https://soundcloud.com/cvx-11/changes

Hang in there all and stay safe..
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: under cover

Post by jonetsu »

Hé hé ... That's a pretty good rendition of the Buddy Miles tune ! Fun beginning.

Maybe the vocals are a tad too much up front. Maybe you could try the free Panagement plugin (runs on Linux) on the vocal track.

https://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Panagement.html

(I have no link with Auburn Sounds - I actually reported here when introduced that it did not work well with Bitwig. Although it works fine for me where it matters: in Mixbus32C for the mixes and mastering stages.)
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

jonetsu wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:47 pm Maybe you could try the free Panagement plugin
Note taken on the vocal, but i highly doubt that i'll be revisiting this little nugget again... Ever. (maybe in a jam - if allowed to mingle again in the future) :mrgreen:

Now oddly enough, i had the Panagement plugin at the time that i was working on the Bitwig portion and from the looks of things, that was back around the later part of 2019. i don't remember trying it in Bitwig, but it would freeze up a session in the Mixbuses and Ardour, so i also wrote to Auburn at that time as well. When they released the fix i noticed something else about it that was a little weird and at that point i was already well onto other things (not to mention other plugins), so any further experimentation with it just got put off to the side.

If you would, the next time you fire up Mixbus check your Auburn plugin selection and see if they are listing for you as in the attached scrncap. Notice that the lv2 of each is listed twice. I just checked and this doesn't happen for me in Bitwig, but it does in the Mixbuses (v5 and 32c) and Ardour as well. If it so for you, i will drop them another note as i'd really like them to continue forward. Lemme know.

Hope that you are mending well.
Screenshot from 2020-04-12 20-03-45.png
Screenshot from 2020-04-12 20-03-45.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 752 times
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

carlv wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:22 am If you would, the next time you fire up Mixbus check your Auburn plugin selection and see if they are listing for you as in the attached scrncap. Notice that the lv2 of each is listed twice. I just checked and this doesn't happen for me in Bitwig, but it does in the Mixbuses (v5 and 32c) and Ardour as well. If it so for you, i will drop them another note as i'd really like them to continue forward. Lemme know.
I installed the Linux VST version so that eventually I'd be able to retry within Bitwig. For Mixbus32C it gives a single instance of each:

auburnSounds.jpg
auburnSounds.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Salutations.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

jonetsu wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm I installed the Linux VST version so that eventually I'd be able to retry within Bitwig. For Mixbus32C it gives a single instance of each:
Ok thanks. Then either it's my setup or a lv2 specific hiccup. From the look of things, there haven't been any updates since dec., last year. If anyone else using theses notices the same, it'd be worth dropping them a line.
Menu_005b.jpg
Menu_005b.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Be well.. :!:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Sort of a psychedelic blues rock, esp the intro. Synthesizers for some reason just don't hit the spot like a real horn section do. The guitar playing is pretty solid, though. Also nice tone on the guitar. I wanted to hear the guitar more in the mix, and the solo was too short to be satisfying.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

milo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:01 pm Sort of a psychedelic blues rock, esp the intro.
Yepper. If you are not familiar with the original tune, this intro was all made up... An after thought that was tacked on after the fact.
milo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:01 pm Synthesizers for some reason just don't hit the spot like a real horn section do.
I couldn't agree more and here i didn't even try. It's the General Synth pumping out the old FluidR3_GM soundfont horns.
milo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:01 pm Sort of a psychedelic blues rock, esp the intro. Synthesizers for some reason just don't hit the spot like a real horn section do. The guitar playing is pretty solid, though. Also nice tone on the guitar.
Much appreciated. Dry signal, direct in, then re-amped and processed after.
milo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:01 pm I wanted to hear the guitar more in the mix, and the solo was too short to be satisfying.
I hear you and i felt the same way about the original tune, too. Intro aside, this time i just went ahead and stuck to the script. :wink:

Stay safe out there.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Buddy Miles is a monster so first of all thanks for bringing the tune back to memory!

Great uptempo funk rock groove!
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Hey, Glad you got a kick out of it. I sure did and kudos to the fellow that made the tab. Without that, i would have never made the attempt to do it.

Fun-fact-trivia for those familiar with the the name(s)... Along with Steve Cropper producing, Bruce Swedien was the mix engineer on that particular LP.

Sometimes.. "We need the funk.." 8)

All the best.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

carlv wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 am Hey, Glad you got a kick out of it. I sure did and kudos to the fellow that made the tab. Without that, i would have never made the attempt to do it.

Fun-fact-trivia for those familiar with the the name(s)... Along with Steve Cropper producing, Bruce Swedien was the mix engineer on that particular LP.

Sometimes.. "We need the funk.." 8)

All the best.
Fun facts indeed and a fellow fan of both 'names'! You're right about the funk too! In these trying days nothing like some good grooves to lift the spirits!
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Amen, brother.