Rock and Roll Tune

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Rock and Roll Tune

Post by CraigPid »

This one wasn't technically made in Linux but I did retrieve it off an old cassette with Audacity and edit it. I didn't remove the tape hiss as it was detracting from the punch in the bottom end.
In '91 I was playing in a raggedy ass bar band in Winnipeg and our federal government foisted a 7% goods and services tax on us nationally. Our dollar was very high relative to the US dollar and there was a big craze of going on a weekend trip across the border and stocking up on cheap booze, cigarettes, food, etc. We were jamming one night and the bass player started rattling off this song about cross border shopping. We thought we could cash in on the craze with a novelty song so we went into a local studio where the bass player's brother in law (I think) was an engineer or something. Never really worked out as it was really impossible in those days to be heard without a record company. I came across this the other day and thought it still sounded really cool.
https://soundcloud.com/craig-pidruchny/ ... r-shopping
fridge
Established Member

Re: Rock and Roll Tune

Post by fridge »

Right now, I have the biggest smile on my face. :D
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

fridge wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:40 pm Right now, I have the biggest smile on my face. :D
Yes!

I think a remake is due!
listenable at c6a7.org
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Thanks for listening guys. It's good when something can make people smile nowadays. A remake sounds like a nice idea but I think it's really from a moment in time (unbelievably almost 30 years ago). Things are so different now. Also I've found that a lot of people have no sarcasm detector so when listening to this you need to know that it was partly a sarcastic jab at the trend.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Craig!

The song is a great memory, thanks for sharing! A nice crisp recording with a surprisingly tight band arrangement for a song that was just a whim at the time.. Now the GST/HST is not a good memory because we still have it.. and where did that high Canadian dollar go....? :cry:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Wow! This really brings a bunch of 1960s classics to mind. Love it!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

This was a fun listen. Pretty tight recording too. Did you guys record to analog tape or ADAT?
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

The copy that we received was on a dat so I think it might have been recorded on an adat. The copy that I have was recorded from the dat to a cassette so that's where the hiss came in.
@folderol We intentionally tried to evoke Surfing USA in how the beat stops and starts and the vocal lines come in on the gaps. To me it also reminds me of I Wanna be Sedated.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

CraigPid wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:35 pm We intentionally tried to evoke Surfing USA in how the beat stops and starts and the vocal lines come in on the gaps.
You succeeded :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}