Batch of new songs, Sugar Gas

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

Batch of new songs, Sugar Gas

Post by ufug »

I have a new album of songs up. I'm calling it Sugar Gas because almost every tune was an attempt to emulate the vibe of some of my favorite pop music of the 70s/80s/90s. Most of them took a left turn from there, but that was the original idea.

80% made with Mixbus, Guitarix, Hydrogen, Pianoteq and U-he, then 20% is a long tail with a bunch of other stuff. This time I was more collaborative than usual and roped in some friends to play as well.

I tried to give each song its own character, so if you don't like one, you might like the next. :wink: :D
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Batch of new songs, Sugar Gas

Post by GMaq »

Hiya!

Uhmm not to blow smoke but this is an absolutely incredible album on numerous levels:

The songs kill! The arrangements and lyrics are really something, no filler these are all good tunes!

The instrumentation is so rich! Strings, lap steel, electric pianos and I'm discovering more each listen!
The production and mixing are terrific bar none but for a home studio produced, mixed and mastered album this is phenomenally produced!

Lastly...OMG the vocals, I love the layers and harmonies and great work by the contributors but Scotty you have such a rare gift and that is a non-singer voice that is so appealing and so singular, its like a tattered stuffed animal for the ears! It's rough and comforting all at the same time. Many can sing... few sing well... but even fewer have that absolute magic Neil Young/Tom Waits/Bob Dylan thing going on and you my friend HAVE it!

This really sets the bar high, I'm really enjoying it so far. Congratulations on a great collection of songs!

Please consider putting this on Spotify et al so I can listen to it with my other fave artists all in one place/app.. :wink:
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Thanks Glen! You're hired! ;) I can't really listen to my own voice without cringing but until we can feed lyrics into a VST it is what it is.

I forgot to add that the AVL drumkits (through Hydrogen) are on more than half the songs. I'm going to try to use the plugin versions on the next batch.

It should be up on Spotify in a few days, along with a remastered version of the last collection.
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi

Woot on the Spotify news...2 albums!!?? :D

I'm very glad to see the kits employed so well, It's quite flattering to see albums like yours (and @milo) using them!

Is that an AVL kit on "Wish?" if so it's a testament to your production skills cuz the drums are good throughout the album but the snare on that song sounds like it's being beaten with Thor's hammer.. :twisted:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Solid work, ufug! Your sound is really good. I think you nailed the genre you were aiming at. Your voice is quite distinctive. It kept reminding me of Elvis Costello for some reason, although more gravely.

Your guitar work is quite good, especially the steel guitar. You have a songwriting talent - many of them are very catchy tunes. ("Wish" might be my favorite.) The recording, mixing, and mastering sounds fantastic. The guest artists are all good and help to add variety to the sound (shout out to GMaq here!). This is an album to be proud of, certainly among the best I have heard from a home studio.

Thanks for sharing!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Really, I'm seriously considering buying the album. I concur with Glen about the voice. Rare are the people gifted in such a way. This is beyond "being a singer". For some reason, never heard your music before. Never too late ! :)

Cheers.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Thanks gang for the comments, really appreciated.
milo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 pm I think you nailed the genre you were aiming at. Your voice is quite distinctive. It kept reminding me of Elvis Costello for some reason, although more gravely.
Thanks milo. I think I've listened to all the EC with the Attractions records1000 times each so I think you tuned into that! I definitely admire Elvis but Bruce Thomas was my fave bass player of all time. :)
GMaq wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:08 pm Is that an AVL kit on "Wish?"
Indeed it is the Black Pearl kit. I used Harrison's XT-DC character plugin on the kick and the snare (there was a little ring in the snare that was out of tune with the song and that helped me tone it down) and then did some parallel compression by crushing most of the kit with the Calf compressor on a send. Every time I have the opportunity I am going to thank you again for making these kits available, they are really well done and super versatile!
jonetsu wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 pm Really, I'm seriously considering buying the album. For some reason, never heard your music before. Never too late!
Thanks for listening! PLEASE PLEASE don't think of buying it. If anybody on the LMF wants a download code just PM me---I am absolutely not trying to sell anything to the community who helped me figure out how to make it. :wink:
listenable at c6a7.org
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ufug wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:22 pm Thanks for listening! PLEASE PLEASE don't think of buying it. If anybody on the LMF wants a download code just PM me---I am absolutely not trying to sell anything to the community who helped me figure out how to make it. :wink:
Well, I only thought of supporting. 8)

Cheers.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

ufug wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:22 pmThanks milo. I think I've listened to all the EC with the Attractions records1000 times each so I think you tuned into that! I definitely admire Elvis but Bruce Thomas was my fave bass player of all time. :)
YEAH!!! NAILED IT!!! [milo does a happy dance]

I spent a lot of time with the Armed Forces and Get Happy! abums when I was a teenager, and it changed my songwriting forever. Anyone who is serious about writing rock music needs to put in their time with Costello.

I also agree that Thomas is about the best bass player ever. Others may be more technically adept (Victor Wooten is another one I really admire), but no one writes better bass melodies than Thomas.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

After listening a few times I'm still trying to decide if my favorite track is Lavender Sandwich or Wish. The absurdity of Lavender Sandwich makes me smile, but I also like the more contemplative and philosophical nature of Wish. It makes me consider my motivations for different decisions and how I see other people.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

This is really amazing! Are the guitar tones all Guitarix based or did you use any pedals/amps?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Some very good songs here, and well produced. Hope it goes well for you.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Just back at a proper keyboard after a break. Thanks for the comments.
milo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 pm YEAH!!! NAILED IT!!! [milo does a happy dance]
If your album is anything to go by, I suspect we have quite a bit of overlap in our music collections! :D
Michael Willis wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 pm After listening a few times I'm still trying to decide if my favorite track is Lavender Sandwich or Wish. The absurdity of Lavender Sandwich makes me smile, but I also like the more contemplative and philosophical nature of Wish. It makes me consider my motivations for different decisions and how I see other people.
Thanks for listening and for getting it Michael. You are spot on. Also a reminder to get our own darn selves out of the way sometimes.
Basslint wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:27 pm This is really amazing! Are the guitar tones all Guitarix based or did you use any pedals/amps?

Thanks Basslint! I sold my only guitar amp while making these tunes because I never used it. I would say 75% is Guitarix (GXamplifier and various plugins, not standalone Guitartix) and the rest are hardware pedals + speaker cab IRs. The guests who played the more skilled guitar parts used their own stuff--the solo in Lavender Sandwich was one of those tiny 9v Danelectro Hodad amps with the miniature speakers.
listenable at c6a7.org