Elegy in B minor for cello and piano (classical)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Elegy in B minor for cello and piano (classical)

Post by Rainmak3r »

folderol wrote:Have you tried Rosegarden?
For all its faults it gets quite a lot right that others don't.
I haven't tried with Rosegarden yet, but I'm not sure it would change. I asked on the MuseScore community forum, and about those crescendos/diminuendos they said that "by default MuseScore uses CC2 for these, but can be configured to use CC1, 4 or 11 instead". I'm not familiar enough with MIDI controllers to know if that can be it, I'll have a look as soon as I have some time.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

This sounds great, very well done! I'm very impressed at the sounds coming from the SF2 in MuseScore. I think your composition plays to the strengths of the sounds and doesn't try a lot of stuff that might show their limitations.
Thanks! I was also quite surprised by the good quality of their default soundfont. Unfortunately those long cello notes are pretty bad, but I'm not sure how those could be improved: maybe some way to make the "expressive" bow a little less expressive :mrgreen:
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote:
GMaq wrote:Hi,

This sounds great, very well done! I'm very impressed at the sounds coming from the SF2 in MuseScore. I think your composition plays to the strengths of the sounds and doesn't try a lot of stuff that might show their limitations.
Thanks! I was also quite surprised by the good quality of their default soundfont. Unfortunately those long cello notes are pretty bad, but I'm not sure how those could be improved: maybe some way to make the "expressive" bow a little less expressive :mrgreen:
I think that at some point we might need physical modelling synths instead of sample-based ones.
folderol wrote:Have you tried Rosegarden?
For all its faults it gets quite a lot right that others don't.
Too bad for its lack of LV2 support. With a more attractive interface and LV2 support, I think it could be a much more popular DAW.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

The Serious music, great work! Nice clear melody!

It's time to start hunting for a live cellist! :mrgreen:

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

psyocean wrote:The Serious music, great work! Nice clear melody!

It's time to start hunting for a live cellist! :mrgreen:
Finding one is one thing, convince them to play the piece a different thing altogether! :lol:
Thanks for the kind words on the piece!
psyocean wrote:Image
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I have always thought MuseScore does a good job of rendering audio. And with a robust Platonic filter in place it's not hard to hear the composition through the recording.

I agree with others that this is an effective piece. It has emotional impact, and I don't think it sounds cheesy.

With software like MuseScore to play our pieces for us we have half of the benefit that Felix Mendelssohn had as a teenager in having his own private orchestra to play his compositions. We can hear the orchestration with our own ears as many times as we want, and in this part we may even have better than Mendelssohn had because there would have been a bottleneck in copying and distributing scores. But most of us don't have the benefit of ready access to musicians who are expert at their instruments. Those consultations are so valuable when you are writing music for an instrument you don't play!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote:I have always thought MuseScore does a good job of rendering audio. And with a robust Platonic filter in place it's not hard to hear the composition through the recording.

I agree with others that this is an effective piece. It has emotional impact, and I don't think it sounds cheesy.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! With or without the Platonic filter :D
milo wrote:With software like MuseScore to play our pieces for us we have half of the benefit that Felix Mendelssohn had as a teenager in having his own private orchestra to play his compositions. We can hear the orchestration with our own ears as many times as we want, and in this part we may even have better than Mendelssohn had because there would have been a bottleneck in copying and distributing scores. But most of us don't have the benefit of ready access to musicians who are expert at their instruments. Those consultations are so valuable when you are writing music for an instrument you don't play!
It's definitely a great tool, that I'm appreciating more day after day. The availability of so many scores from the past is indeed a huge value: I've been visiting IMSLP (the Petrucci Music Library) quite a lot, which is where I found the score for Fauré's Elegie, that was very helpful in figuring out how to write some of the dynamics down in some cello/piano exchanges. How those masters did this without all the huge technological advantage we have now, I'll never know... that's why they were and will always remain giants, I guess!
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This is lovely.

The cello sound is not bad at all. There is something about it that sounds like a da gamba, maybe the steadiness of the pitch or the way the notes cut off.
Rainmak3r wrote:
psyocean wrote: It's time to start hunting for a live cellist! :mrgreen:
Finding one is one thing, convince them to play the piece a different thing altogether! :lol:
You must not give up. I think you should be able to find one if they hear this piece!
listenable at c6a7.org
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

ufug wrote:This is lovely.

The cello sound is not bad at all. There is something about it that sounds like a da gamba, maybe the steadiness of the pitch or the way the notes cut off.
Rainmak3r wrote:
psyocean wrote: It's time to start hunting for a live cellist! :mrgreen:
You must not give up. I think you should be able to find one if they hear this piece!
Thanks! Actually I did know a very good one, then my sister and him broke up... if only they had stayed together a bit longer! :mrgreen:
Jokes apart, another friend I have abroad did give me some very good tips, and he also shared a short and quick video playing his part: he's not a professional player, though, and he pointed out some parts in the score that are quite tricky to play.