No Fire, No Storm, No Rain

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

No Fire, No Storm, No Rain

Post by TAERSH »

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
” - Frank Zappa

Though, there's one thing that's much better than music itself.

The process of creating/composing music!

Do you experienced such?

Being that much impressed of the current work that one constantly overtakes himself?
The so called 'flow' takes possession of body and mind?
So, you can't go on working because you're heavily shaken and can't see anything for tears of happiness?

This one piece her No Fire, No Storm, No Rain is exactly the result of such hormonal distributions.

I think this might have some Hit-potential. So, have fun!

https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367/n ... rm-no-rain

YES, the Muse is BACK! :D
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: No Fire, No Storm, No Rain

Post by jonetsu »

The atmosphere of the piece is quite good. It expresses many aspects of a 'fire of love', how deep it can reach at times, with anything that reaches deep will stir emotions in many ways. It's expressed by the 'odd' rhythm and the haunting back vocals, and the choice of chords. And perhaps some uncertainty in such deep situation where one also wants to stay 'safe' in place eg. the beat and chords seems to progress but at the same time they kind of suggest staying in place.

"Sapere Aude" remains my best so far although I haven't listened to everything yet.

The process of creating music for me is still a mystery. I still listen today to things I did and wonder how the hell did I made that ? Where does it actually come from ? And I'm certain it has nothing to do with (lack of) knowledge of music theory, as one who knows everything could still wonder about where does it come from ?

Many times there has to be a 'setting'. For instance one sound, one note. I load a synth, choose a patch often randomly, then press a keyboard note. If something happens at that simple stage, it can then drive the creation of a new sketch. Or I take the guitar, play a few notes and for some reason something starts to appear. At that moment, if the conditions are good - and they often are - inspiration takes over and the notes segue to a more defined pattern which then can call for other happenings. If recorded (not always) then those other calls can be percs, bass, synth chords, FX, etc.. And it takes some shape. It can be a couple of hours, less or more, depending on context. The result is a sketch that might or not have some 'potential' for further development.

This said, some of these sessions are also not so good. Although now when I hear that I can stop and determine it's enough travel in that avenue. I think for many artists production of any kind is uttermost. Pearls emerge from the bulk of production, with many, many sketches thrown on the side.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Maybe the weirdest love song I've ever heard. :)

The very wet backing vocals and the general mood keep reminding me of The Cure (mid-1980's).

I agree that making music is wonderful. But I disagree with Zappa; love is better than music. Think of it: if you were stuck on a desert island for the rest of your life, would you rather have music as your companion, or the person you love the most? I would choose love. (But we would pass the time by making music, probably.)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Nothing better than getting into the flow. :D

The song is really enjoyable. It's super catchy and everyone can dig that sentiment!

I wish the vocal was more prominent in the mix (maybe that's the style you want though).
listenable at c6a7.org
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

jonetsu wrote:The atmosphere of the piece is quite good. It expresses many aspects of a 'fire of love', how deep it can reach at times, with anything that reaches deep will stir emotions in many ways. It's expressed by the 'odd' rhythm and the haunting back vocals, and the choice of chords. And perhaps some uncertainty in such deep situation where one also wants to stay 'safe' in place eg. the beat and chords seems to progress but at the same time they kind of suggest staying in place.
Hey, great analysis. Thanks :)
jonetsu wrote:"Sapere Aude" remains my best so far although I haven't listened to everything yet.
Yes, I like this also very much and it was also composed for my Girlfriend. Composed three songs for her.

It's a piece that I would like also to be played by an orchestra or at least sounding that way.
Maybe I'll pick it up again and doing an orchestral version of it...
jonetsu wrote:... This said, some of these sessions are also not so good. Although now when I hear that I can stop and determine it's enough travel in that avenue. I think for many artists production of any kind is uttermost. Pearls emerge from the bulk of production, with many, many sketches thrown on the side.
I have tons of it but still keeping them!
In 2018 I picked up an old theme from around 1992. A short 6 minute instrumental theme mainly chords, bass line and drums.
I made a 32 minutes piece out of it as it was that much inspiring, I created some more parts, new melodies, vocals and lyrics.
Still not yet finished - still need to work on the vocals.
milo wrote:Maybe the weirdest love song I've ever heard. :)

The very wet backing vocals and the general mood keep reminding me of The Cure (mid-1980's).

I agree that making music is wonderful. But I disagree with Zappa; love is better than music. Think of it: if you were stuck on a desert island for the rest of your life, would you rather have music as your companion, or the person you love the most? I would choose love. (But we would pass the time by making music, probably.)
Thanks! :)
The music collection I'm listening to indeed goes from ABBA to ZZ Top. But I don't have anything from The Cure or even Can as I mentioned in another topic.

What about the third choice: none of them both, just being alone? :wink:
ufug wrote:Nothing better than getting into the flow. :D

The song is really enjoyable. It's super catchy and everyone can dig that sentiment!

I wish the vocal was more prominent in the mix (maybe that's the style you want though).
Thanks. :)
The vocals, yes.

I'm not a singer. I'm a drummer. On each song I have also a huge learning curve not only on to sing, but also on the use of reverb, echo, equalizer, chorus, de-esser etc.pp. So, I'm always open for useful tips, hints, education, links to videos etc.pp.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

TAERSH wrote:I'm not a singer. I'm a drummer. On each song I have also a huge learning curve not only on to sing, but also on the use of reverb, echo, equalizer, chorus, de-esser etc.pp. So, I'm always open for useful tips, hints, education, links to videos etc.pp.
I've learned a great deal with mixing engineer Michael White. He has worked with Whitney Houston, Mick Jagger, David Byrne, David Bowie, doing Jimi Hendrix remixes, etc.. He does not give quick recipes. He teaches how it works. And then with the knowledge one can apply it to various mixing contexts.

His face is never seen. He does not sell his personality but rather his passion for mixing.

Through the years I only found one video where we can see him, in a Presonus advert. In the first minute he introduces himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbF4kNW0aCk

He has a lot of excellent free videos on youtube. I have followed his paid courses. Always excellent to review and get mixing inspiration.

Choosing a Reverb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBaq3_GDAJg

Using Attack and Release Settings to set Position in a Mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCC6IO1CMZk

Defining Compressor Attack and Release Times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT4XPvZiA5g

A core concept is the 3D audio space. Volume: down/high, pan: right/left and compression: front/back. Realizing that anything not recorded as a band playing live needs injection of some human aspects that happens when a band does plays live.

Another concept that I still do not get fully, is that the mind will make up for audio aspects that are not heard just like the mind will imagine the rest of a car if only the hood is shown past a wall, especially with bass tones.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Really cool! Reminds me of the early Porcupine Tree albums, especially in terms of sound.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote:Really cool! Reminds me of the early Porcupine Tree albums, especially in terms of sound.
I agree, the proggy riffing, the ambient soundscapes and the spacey vocals (albeit Wilson is mellower) very much remind me of Porcupine Tree.

I like it, but I think that this time (it's not always the case in TAERSH's songs), a more polished vocal performance would have helped.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Basslint wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:46 amI like it, but I think that this time (it's not always the case in TAERSH's songs), a more polished vocal performance would have helped.
Could you please a bit more specific on that?
Thanks.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

This has got a pure 80's sound to it. It is really cool!

I could see this being a part of a soundtrack for some 80's movie.

Good stuff!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

TAERSH wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:19 am
Basslint wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:46 amI like it, but I think that this time (it's not always the case in TAERSH's songs), a more polished vocal performance would have helped.
Could you please a bit more specific on that?
Thanks.
Sure! To me the vocals sound like they are halfway between speech and song, and a bit out of tune. I don't say that as an offense because I hate autotuned vocals and I appreciate some vocalists who don't sing in tune; it's just that since the song sounds dreamy to me at times, I would have preferred a less harsh performance.

In any case that's my personal opinion, worth zero probably since I am not a singer!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very interesting mix of sounds... and vocals. Enjoyably so :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

@Basslint

Thanks. I don't take it as an offense. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked for being more specific. I'm always willing and curious to learn, as I'm also not a singer. I'm just forced to do it all and everything by myself. And even though I'm sometimes a bit out of tune the more I do the more I like it and being satisfied with current results as is. :D

Though, I must say I had to learn some about the word "harsh", as I know this word only from a sentence spoken by Admiral Chang in Star Trek Academy: "Space is the harshest instructor" which translates to me as "Der Weltraum ist der umbarmherzigste Ausbilder". And I would not call my singing/vocals being "unbarmherzig". :wink:
So, I see clearer now.

Again thanks!

@folderol

Thanks.

Hm, I have a sound collection in ZynAddSubFx called "Folderol-Collection".

Is that YOU?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

TAERSH wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:41 am
@folderol

Thanks.

Hm, I have a sound collection in ZynAddSubFx called "Folderol-Collection".

Is that YOU?
Yes :)
It's been knocking around for a few years now under several variations of the name. There is also one called Companion which I'm slowly adding to. I really must make the latest additions to that one more available, although the one shipped with Yoshimi is much more up-to-date.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

TAERSH wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:41 am @Basslint

Thanks. I don't take it as an offense. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked for being more specific. I'm always willing and curious to learn, as I'm also not a singer. I'm just forced to do it all and everything by myself.
Very cool! Lots of people take offense these days, even when no offense is meant (and this was the case, I like your stuff a lot!)

To add something about the "harsh" word, when used to describe vocals (harsh vocals) usually it means the kind of vocals used in some extreme metal and hardcore punk genres, so apologies for using such a confusing word!