Orchestra Template Test

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

GMaq
Established Member

Re: Orchestra Template Test

Postby GMaq » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi,

Very impressive work, I haven't tried the template but I'm impressed with the distinct timbres of the various sounds! Thanks for all your efforts on this!

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Orchestra Template Test

Postby Michael Willis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Rainmak3r wrote:As a side note, one thing I forgot to mention last time is that your template has hardcoded paths to a local folder on your machine for the "template-dir" property, and that applies to all tracks: I thought this was normal and harmless (I see the same in another template I have installed), but if I don't manually fix the template-dir to reflect the real path on my laptop, none of the SFZ are loaded. I guess it's normal for Ardour to save your path when saving the template, but maybe there should be a placeholder strng on the version you have on github, and instructions in the README on how to replace it? (e.g., with an inline sed). There may be a variable you can use in the template to refer to the local template folder no matter the installation, but I'm not familiar with the syntax unfortunately.

Hmm, I experienced this problem before and forgot about it! I tried to ask about it on the Ardour forum, but didn't get any answers. Last time I found a way to work around the problem, but I don't think it will work on this one.

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/template ... -dir/89283

Rainmak3r wrote:Just exported a new version of the waltz using the v2-tweaks template: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jp42N ... 48A9Jraza-

Again, for being a fairly quick import from MuseScore, this sounds good to me!

milo wrote:That sounds really good, Michael! I don't have my nice monitor speakers or headphones here in my office, but on my little pc speakers it sounds pretty good. I'll give it a listen on the nicer system when I get home.

GMaq wrote:Very impressive work, I haven't tried the template but I'm impressed with the distinct timbres of the various sounds! Thanks for all your efforts on this!

Thanks milo and GMaq! To be honest I'm still not totally satisfied with the sound. I had some brass players listen to it yesterday, and they told me that the brass part isn't convincing. However I think there probably isn't much more I can do without getting a more professional set of orchestral samples.

Return to “Original Scores & Recordings”