'Daybreak', new trance EP

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

elcalen
Established Member

'Daybreak', new trance EP

Post by elcalen »

Hi! I'm Ben, long time lurker here, finally made an account to share a couple new trance tracks I made. My new EP, titled Daybreak, is up on SoundCloud (https://soundcloud.com/benenkindle/sets/daybreak) and Bandcamp (https://benenkindle.bandcamp.com/).

I still consider myself very much a beginner and an amateur at producing this kind of music, so be gentle. :wink:

These tracks were made with Reaper using only native linux plugins (except LoudMax which I used as the final limiter... it does have a native ladspa version, but Reaper doesn't support ladspa...) The main synth is U-he Hive, with one or two instances of Surge and Helm tossed in the mix, as well as some sounds from an old Korg N1R hardware module I happened to have around. I used a lot of Airwindows plugins, miscellaneous plugins from TAL, Dragonfly Reverb, Sitala, etc, plus some of Reaper's bundled plugins and community JSFX plugins. There's a lot of software I discovered through browsing these forums, so thanks for that, folks!
Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
mirens
Established Member

Re: 'Daybreak', new trance EP

Post by mirens »

Nice tracks! Did you have any problems or bugs with reaper?
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Solid work! This is musically interesting, and I think pushes outside the boundaries of trance a few times. The orchestral portion of the last track, for instance, and the piano cadenza in another. Overall the album sounds more like late 80's techno in a way (that's a good thing, IMO).

I also like the album artwork. It is simple, and effective.
elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

mirens wrote:Nice tracks! Did you have any problems or bugs with reaper?
Thanks! I encountered very few serious problems with Reaper, once I'd figured out how everything works and got the workflow configured to my liking. Occasionally I got some stuck notes in Hive, but I don't know for sure if that was an issue with Hive or with Reaper.
milo wrote:Solid work! This is musically interesting, and I think pushes outside the boundaries of trance a few times. The orchestral portion of the last track, for instance, and the piano cadenza in another. Overall the album sounds more like late 80's techno in a way (that's a good thing, IMO).

I also like the album artwork. It is simple, and effective.
Thanks again! I try to go with wherever the flow takes me, while still keeping tracks fairly simple structurally (I'm still learning electronic music production, after all). :wink: That said, modern trance is a very varied field with tons of subgenres. And I'm very bad at classifying my own productions. :D
Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Not to toot GNU/Linux's own horn but if anything, to compliment your work, I think you have showed many people that you can make trance music on GNU/Linux :D

I think your music is trance, with touches of synthwave (the punchy drums, the funkier basslines).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

Thank you for sharing this -- really enjoying it so far!