My first album (3 years of of experimentations and learning)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

elerale
Established Member

My first album (3 years of of experimentations and learning)

Post by elerale »

Hello,

After 3 years of of experimentation and learning, this album was recently released :
https://erwanlerale.bandcamp.com/releases

It was mostly created on Ardour on Kxstudio and Librazik with lots of different software. Some explanations are provided in some of the songs.

Your feedback is more than welcome :)

Cheers
Erwan
Last edited by elerale on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turbidh20
Established Member

Re: My first album (3 years of of experimentations and learning)

Post by turbidh20 »

Not a style of music I can personally listen to but I thought it was interesting, done really well and sounds great!

Congratulations :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Congrats on the release Erwan. I dig your record. It's a creative tribute to that era of synth experimentation (the sounds brought back some memories!). You also have a very sharp sense of humor. 8)
listenable at c6a7.org
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I like these tunes! Your sound palette reminds me of the music from my youth. Even your guitar tones fit in that genre. (#6 on your album sounds like it could have been on an early album by The Cure, for instance.)

You also have the gift of brevity, which was a rare virtue in the 1980's. Your album is like a song sampler, with all of these 1-2 minute songs. Makes it easy to enjoy the album quickly.
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

turbidh20 wrote:Not a style of music I can personally listen to but I thought it was interesting, done really well and sounds great!
Thanks for your nice feedback.

I have tried to look for some of your music in your previous posts without success.

Do you have anything that you can share somewhere ? :)

Cheers
Erwan
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

ufug wrote:Congrats on the release Erwan. I dig your record. It's a creative tribute to that era of synth experimentation (the sounds brought back some memories!). You also have a very sharp sense of humor. 8)
Hello,

Thanks for your interest !

You are right and you have definitely pointed out that I'm keen on synths :)

I'm mostly using helm and zynaddsubfx but also some hardware synths like the neutron, microbrute, d20, d05 and some others.

Bye
Erwan
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

milo wrote:I like these tunes! Your sound palette reminds me of the music from my youth. Even your guitar tones fit in that genre. (#6 on your album sounds like it could have been on an early album by The Cure, for instance.)

You also have the gift of brevity, which was a rare virtue in the 1980's. Your album is like a song sampler, with all of these 1-2 minute songs. Makes it easy to enjoy the album quickly.
Happy to hear that you like my tunes.

They are also definitely reminding me of my youth (i'm still young btw). I'm doing the music I'd like to listen to.

Well spotted for #6 ! I'm a huge Cure fan. My aim was to create something that sound "Curish".

Some people are complaining that my tunes are too short. So, I'm not the only one to appreciate brevity. I like the "punch style" :)
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

elerale wrote:I have tried to look for some of your music in your previous posts without success.

Do you have anything that you can share somewhere ? :)

Cheers
Erwan
I released an album online years ago but I'm currently remixing and altering it as I wasn't entirely satisfied. I'm just getting to grips with Mixbus, although I've been using Ardour for a little while already, and then I'll put something up - somewhere!
milo wrote:You also have the gift of brevity, which was a rare virtue in the 1980's. Your album is like a song sampler, with all of these 1-2 minute songs. Makes it easy to enjoy the album quickly.
Yes, I agree. I'm all for shorter song lengths. "leave them wanting more" someone once said!
elerale wrote:Some people are complaining that my tunes are too short. So, I'm not the only one to appreciate brevity. I like the "punch style" :)
As above :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

elerale wrote:Happy to hear that you like my tunes.

They are also definitely reminding me of my youth (i'm still young btw). I'm doing the music I'd like to listen to.

Well spotted for #6 ! I'm a huge Cure fan. My aim was to create something that sound "Curish".

Some people are complaining that my tunes are too short. So, I'm not the only one to appreciate brevity. I like the "punch style" :)
Nailed it! [Fist pump] I was also a big Cure fan as a teenager, but haven't listened to them in years. I still like their sounds, but not their songs, if that makes sense. Their music had an outsized influence on my style. I taught myself guitar by listening to Nirvana and Cure albums in the 90's, and I still hear some Robert Smith in my own guitar solos.

Do I also hear a Kraftwerk influence in your tunes? That may be an indirect influence, because they influenced basically everyone who used a synthesizer in the 80's. That's another band my adolescence was steeped in.

"Doing the music I'd like to listen to" exactly describes my motivation too. It is the musician's equivalent of the "scratching an itch" that programmers talk about.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Could use some better mixing, a bit tinny on the percussion side of things at times (I have to say this because I think critique without insight doesn't help) but I think that it's pretty good, you are not a bad musician as you say in the Bandcamp description, it's very musical especially if the listener is acquainted with 80s music (Kraftwerk, Coldwave, The Cure can be spotted, but I think :D). I appreciated the humor. I think you fit right well with vaporwave in tracks like Guitare Blaireau and Untitled.

Very good album for the free software audio world!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

turbidh20 wrote:I released an album online years ago but I'm currently remixing and altering it as I wasn't entirely satisfied. I'm just getting to grips with Mixbus, although I've been using Ardour for a little while already, and then I'll put something up - somewhere!
I would be happy to hear something once you are ready :)
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

Basslint wrote:Could use some better mixing, a bit tinny on the percussion side of things at times (I have to say this because I think critique without insight doesn't help) but I think that it's pretty good, you are not a bad musician as you say in the Bandcamp description, it's very musical especially if the listener is acquainted with 80s music (Kraftwerk, Coldwave, The Cure can be spotted, but I think :D). I appreciated the humor. I think you fit right well with vaporwave in tracks like Guitare Blaireau and Untitled.

Very good album for the free software audio world!
Well spotted for the poorness of the "percussion side of things", I hate composing drums in fact :)

Thank you for the compliments ! I'm really wondering whether I should continue in this direction or try hard to do something really different.

Do you have anything online on your side to share ?
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

milo wrote:Do I also hear a Kraftwerk influence in your tunes? That may be an indirect influence, because they influenced basically everyone who used a synthesizer in the 80's. That's another band my adolescence was steeped in.
Hello,

I have been told several times that some tunes sound like Kraftwerk but it's an indirect influence. Mostly because of some analog synth that i'm frequently using. I have really started to listen to their productions after I have been told about that :)

I had a look to your website and I have started to listen to your productions. Very good things over there :)

Cheers
Erwan
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

elerale wrote: Do you have anything online on your side to share ?
For the moment I don't, as I too don't like working with drums - I actually studied drumming for a bit (I can't even play a proper backbeat, for the record) and I love drums but I don't like producing and mixing samples of them, I find it quite limiting and stressful, especially because I don't like quantizing, but not quantizing isn't realistic either, and I don't like algorithms that simulate humans.

So the solution could be making drumless music, but I don't quite like it myself :?

In short, I am a very bad musican, and pretentious on top of that :lol:

But we have similar taste and I want to be friends with you, I added you as friend here on Linuxmusicans and perhaps we can keep one another updated on our respective music side-careers :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Basslint wrote:So the solution could be making drumless music, but I don't quite like it myself :?
Seems like the real solution is to find a percussionist that is willing to collaborate with you ;)