Страна Идиотов — Панк-рок инвалид (russian language punk rock)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Страна Идиотов — Панк-рок инвалид (russian language punk rock)

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Finally, after a really long musical journey, I found some time and resources to actually release an album with my current punk rock band. It was a pretty hard experience, because everything was arranged, recorded, mixed, and mastered in a very short time span. All recordings, except last song, were done at our studio room; closing track was recorded at our rehearsal place.

Technical details:
Mics: Yamaha SM57 clone, Shure Beta SM58, Shure PG57 (guitar on track 12)
Guitars: Randall RG100 (G3+) (studio), Laney stack (rehearsal place)
Bass: Ampeg B3
Interface: M-Audio Fast Track MkII
Monitors: Presonus Eris E4.5
Headphones: Shure SRH840
Plugins: Harrison XT/AVA, EQ10Q, Calf, airwindows, Dragonfly Room Reverb, Klangfalter with third party impulses, TLs, DrumGizmo with CrocellKit.
DAW: Harrison Mixbus

Check out the album on Bandcamp
Last edited by AlexTheBassist on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
milo
Established Member

Re: Страна Идиотов — Панк-рок инвалид (russian language punk rock)

Post by milo »

It's funny how punk sounds pretty much the same in every language. I once listened to a punk band from Spain, and after I got past the fact that I couldn't understand any of it, I realized that it was mostly indistiguishable from British or American punk.

Congratulations on busting out a whole album! That is quite an accomplishment. Sometimes the quick & dirty approach is what it takes to get it done. And that might even improve your authenticity in the genre. You don't want punk rock to sound too polished. :)
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

milo wrote:Congratulations on busting out a whole album!
Thanks! There's one more coming up in a few months, it will be less “punky”, with ballads and stuff.
milo wrote:Sometimes the quick & dirty approach is what it takes to get it done. And that might even improve your authenticity in the genre. You don't want punk rock to sound too polished
Yeah, punk should have a little of that dirt, even if it's played exceptionally well. To be honest, I am disappointed with last 10 years records in almost any genre. The loudness war gets even more ridiculous than it was in late 90s, most productions sound indistinguishable from each other, and are hard to listen to for long due to aggressive, heavy limiting. I tried to avoid all that despite we had only three weeks to finish half of the arrangements, record, mix and master the whole thing, all while also working typical daily jobs. I hope I succeeded.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

AlexTheBassist wrote:with ballads and stuff
That's exciting, I love a good rock ballad.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

milo wrote:It's funny how punk sounds pretty much the same in every language.
That's what I thought when listening.

Great energy! Made me nostalgic to remember being able to dance to music like this.
listenable at c6a7.org
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

AlexTheBassist wrote:Finally, after a really long musical journey, I found some time and resources to actually release an album with my current punk rock band. It was a pretty hard experience, because everything was arranged, recorded, mixed, and mastered in a very short time span.
Check out the album on Bandcamp
Hey, this is great! I don't understand a word, but sound and feeling is perfect!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

ufug wrote:Great energy! Made me nostalgic to remember being able to dance to music like this.
tavasti wrote: Hey, this is great!
sound and feeling is perfect!
Thanks, guys! We'll deliver more pretty soon.
tavasti wrote: I don't understand a word, but
Seems that I should tell about each song a little. So… No problem.

In overall, I'd say that this is more pop punk than traditional stuff. And here's why:

First song, with a name freely translated kinda like “Facebooked” or “Instagramed”, is a farewell speech to a girlfriend who's additcted to social networks, VK in this particular case.
Second, “One For Two”. It's about a threesome and how it does change while you get older. Yeah, 18+ stuff.
Third, “To You Again”. It's a story of a booze abuser and a girl… well, just a girl.
Fourth, “Space.” A story about a man getting older and older while his wife is on a mission in space. In the end, she has “fallen off the ship”, so he never actually seen her since departure.
Fifth, “Farewell”. Another farewell speech.
Sixth. A short poem. Sorry, but I'm currently too drunk to properly translate it to English. I'll do that later, after Saturday.
Seventh. “Punk Rock Handicapped”. The title track, which is about a punk that's got old and crippled, but doesn't give up his passion to a woman.
Eight. “(You Are) Still Waiting”. Another love story, this time about a guy hoping to do a comeback to a woman. Girls like such stuff, you know.
Ninth. “Propagandizing boozing”. A whole Russia is drunk to hell, but not the protagonist. He just woke up in the morning like usual.
Tenth. “So What?”. A politically motivated song, dedicated to shocking commonness of corruption in Russia.
Eleventh. “Beer Song”. Actually a beer drinkers anthem.
Twelfth. “Zoological Garden”. This is a song by Egor (Igor) Letov, an iconic person for Russian punk scene, as well as for post-USSR underground in general. We intentionally recorded it at a rehearsal space, because we wanted to approach that specific vibe Egor has in his works.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

AlexTheBassist wrote: Seems that I should tell about each song a little. So… No problem.

In overall, I'd say that this is more pop punk than traditional stuff. And here's why:

First song, with a name freely translated kinda like “Facebooked” or “Instagramed”, is a farewell speech to a girlfriend who's additcted to social networks, VK in this particular case.
Second, “One For Two”. It's about a threesome and how it does change while you get older. Yeah, 18+ stuff.
Third, “To You Again”. It's a story of a booze abuser and a girl… well, just a girl.
Fourth, “Space.” A story about a man getting older and older while his wife is on a mission in space. In the end, she has “fallen off the ship”, so he never actually seen her since departure.
Fifth, “Farewell”. Another farewell speech.
Sixth. A short poem. Sorry, but I'm currently too drunk to properly translate it to English. I'll do that later, after Saturday.
Seventh. “Punk Rock Handicapped”. The title track, which is about a punk that's got old and crippled, but doesn't give up his passion to a woman.
Eight. “(You Are) Still Waiting”. Another love story, this time about a guy hoping to do a comeback to a woman. Girls like such stuff, you know.
Ninth. “Propagandizing boozing”. A whole Russia is drunk to hell, but not the protagonist. He just woke up in the morning like usual.
Tenth. “So What?”. A politically motivated song, dedicated to shocking commonness of corruption in Russia.
Eleventh. “Beer Song”. Actually a beer drinkers anthem.
Twelfth. “Zoological Garden”. This is a song by Egor (Igor) Letov, an iconic person for Russian punk scene, as well as for post-USSR underground in general. We intentionally recorded it at a rehearsal space, because we wanted to approach that specific vibe Egor has in his works.
Thanks, now I know at least something about those!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM