Killer Joe

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Killer Joe

Post by Michael Willis »

I recorded the lunch-time jazz band again. This time we had a new trombonist show up, which helped fill out the lows from the wind section. I dare say that my recording technique is improving, the mic placement seemed way better this time.

Killer Joe Improv Session 2019-08-23
folderol
Established Member

Re: Killer Joe

Post by folderol »

Sounds like a really chilled out session :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Nice music, like this mood and retro atmosphere...

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Solid jazz. I agree that your sound is getting better. There is better balance between the instruments in this one.

But I think part of the charm in classic jazz recordings is the low-tech, single microphone sound, where the soloists have to move away from the mic when their solo is done amd the next soloist just crowds them away. It's messy and sloppy, but so is jazz in a lot of ways. You hear the same thing even more in old folk recordings like Flatt & Scruggs.

Anyway, keep up the good work. You're making some serious memories for your coworkers, and doing things like this at the workplace can really help curb the tide of occupational burnout.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Michael,

I'm still trying to get over the fact these are jams on a lunch break.. :lol: What workplace could possible have this many musicians, let alone competent jazz musicians!!??

Is all of the ambience we're hearing in the recordings from the room or have you added Reverb? It sounds like a fairly large room if it's the ambience we're hearing. I agree there is more clarity and detail in this one though.

This recording drifts in and out a bit timing-wise but when the timing is on it sounds really good!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

GMaq wrote: This recording drifts in and out a bit timing-wise but when the timing is on it sounds really good!
That's probably when one of them reaches out for a bite of his sandwich :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

folderol wrote:
GMaq wrote: This recording drifts in and out a bit timing-wise but when the timing is on it sounds really good!
That's probably when one of them reaches out for a bite of his sandwich :lol:
Haha! Good one! :lol:
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Thanks everybody!
milo wrote:But I think part of the charm in classic jazz recordings is the low-tech, single microphone sound, where the soloists have to move away from the mic when theioyr solo is done amd the next soloist just crowds them away. It's messy and sloppy, but so is jazz in a lot of ways.
You make a good point.

For a little while I was really tempted to buy an eight channel interface which would allow me to directly wire up the keyboard and guitar, stereo mic the wind section, and still have a few channels left over that I can use if we ever get a real drum kit and bass.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for embracing the more simple setup instead of feeling like I need to accumulate more gear.
GMaq wrote: I'm still trying to get over the fact these are jams on a lunch break.. :lol: What workplace could possible have this many musicians, let alone competent jazz musicians!!??
I work at a software company in an office campus with hundreds of employees. It seems not uncommon to find people with an affinity for both music and software, it just took a few people with some gumption to start practicing.
GMaq wrote: Is all of the ambience we're hearing in the recordings from the room or have you added Reverb? It sounds like a fairly large room if it's the ambience we're hearing. I agree there is more clarity and detail in this one though.
It is a sizable room, maybe about 30ft x 50ft, but I also added a little bit of reverb, and adjusted the stereo balance a bit before sending the signal to the reverb.
folderol wrote:That's probably when one of them reaches out for a bite of his sandwich :lol:
:lol: