My first recording

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

josuaclement
Established Member

My first recording

Post by josuaclement »

Hi all, recently started to learn how to record using linux.
This is my first try, but somehow i heard a bit of noise in my recording . Anyone could help to guide me? Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/josuaclement/ipanema-mp3

Hardware :
- audio interface : focusrite scarlet 2i4
- acoustic electric guitar : cort CEC1 OP

Software :
- ubuntu 18.04
- audacity

I saw many article that recommend me to use qjacktl, i did install that but didnt use that in my recording, since i only use one instrument at once. Is this right?
bluebell
Established Member

Re: My first recording

Post by bluebell »

It seems that you used the ALSA subsystem to record and play music. There's nothing wrong with it.

But if you want to use an audio subsystem that's more flexible and optimized for low latencies then you have to install and use JACK. The program that has to be configured and started is called jackd. Qjackctl is one way to start and control jackd.

See http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

In your recording there is an audible hum. Either your cabling is not ok or you have a ground loop that can occur when you connect several devices with a plug with grounding, e.g. your computer and a guitar amp that are connected with an unbalanced cable (connectors with only tip and sleeve).
Last edited by bluebell on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

That's really good for a first try! Don't worry about qjackctl. Jack has its purpose, but is not required even for multi-track recording. For noise reduction, you can use Noise Repellent. You may also want to investigate a more full-featured DAW instead of Audacity. Some popular choices are Ardour, Bitwig, Reaper, QTractor.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

nice interpretation, as the other friends of the forum have advised you, when you deal with audio production it is always better to use audio jacks in order not to be limited with the various hardware and software equipment :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Nicely done.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Like this recording, feel positive energy! :)
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
josuaclement
Established Member

Post by josuaclement »

bluebell wrote:It seems that you used the ALSA subsystem to record and play music. There's nothing wrong with it.

But if you want to use an audio subsystem that's more flexible and optimized for low latencies then you have to install and use JACK. The program that has to be configured and started is called jackd. Qjackctl is one way to start and control jackd.

See http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

In your recording there is an audible hum. Either your cabling is not ok or you have a ground loop that can occur when you connect several devices with a plug with grounding, e.g. your computer and a guitar amp that are connected with an unbalanced cable (connectors with only tip and sleeve).
Yes i feel something wrong with my cable, i will try to find another one, thanks for your suggestion
josuaclement
Established Member

Post by josuaclement »

Michael Willis wrote:That's really good for a first try! Don't worry about qjackctl. Jack has its purpose, but is not required even for multi-track recording. For noise reduction, you can use Noise Repellent. You may also want to investigate a more full-featured DAW instead of Audacity. Some popular choices are Ardour, Bitwig, Reaper, QTractor.
Well, i will try to explore noise repellent.
And right now im using ardour, seems have more featured than audacity haha
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I quite like this composition. Did you write the song?

I agree with the others that the recording is a bit rough around the edges, but it is a solid show for your first attempt. Keep at it! I have been recording music off and on for 25 years, and I am still learning new things and improving my technique.
josuaclement
Established Member

Post by josuaclement »

thank you for your support..
no i was listening to frank sinatra's version when doing this record.

i just realized, the noise come when i set the knob of scarlett 2ie to playback.
i think this because i don't have the driver or plugin that compatible enough for my laptop(ubuntu 18)

milo wrote:I quite like this composition. Did you write the song?

I agree with the others that the recording is a bit rough around the edges, but it is a solid show for your first attempt. Keep at it! I have been recording music off and on for 25 years, and I am still learning new things and improving my technique.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milo wrote:I quite like this composition. Did you write the song?

It's Garota de Ipanema from legendary Brazilian composer Antônio Carlos Jobim :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!