Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby jonetsu » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:04 pm

This is how it started 3 years ago. The very first track I put on soundcloud. At that time I was using Ardour with a very limited set of plugins that included nevertheless the native Linux u-he plugins. Wasn't using Bitwig for creation yet. Did not get Mixbus(32C) yet. The track is available as download. I was using a Reaktor freebie for effects that I still do not remember how I ran it at that time. The cello was Qsynth and a soundfount.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c2015-15

Then I updated an improv made a year ago using Ardour. An tranquil piece that surprised me by the number of people liking it. It's then that I realized that "people" do not necessarily crave what the 'system' is feeding them.

That piece reminds me of the time when I use to play much more guitar. There were no synths around, and improvs were made of several guitar tracks recorded in Ardour. An almost 10 minute piece that I was thinking no-one would like. Listening to it today

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c2014-26

Then on a Saturday afternoon, I remember the feeling and some images of the scenes, I made three pieces and put them immediately one after the other on soundcloud. One of them is "Cauchemard" (Nightmare) which I have no idea now about how I made it. The same with the other two pioeces made that afternoon, "Reverie" and "Nor". It still got 703 listens as of today, and 8 downloads.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/cauchemard

Something to say about creativity: let go. Let go most of it if possible and just do. Is it possible to have the same attitude with life ? Are these expressions only shadows of what could be accomplished in life ?

On these thoughts, cheers.

User avatar
milo
Established Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:55 am
Location: Southern Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby milo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 pm

You have a nice sound overall, and I particularly like your acoustic guitar work.

As content creators it is really hard for us to predict and understand why some of our creations are received better than others. We put our heart and soul into our work, and we love all of our recordings, but that is no guarantee that anyone else will like them. I am surprised at what strikes a chord with people, and what doesn't. The song which gets downloaded the most from my site is not my favorite or best song, but whatever.

Also, there is always a tension between improvisation and premeditated composition in music. I think for most of us these are like the yin and the yang - something we need both of, in balance. Not in every song, necessarily. After I spend a few months ironing out the kinks in some song to make it perfect - or as perfect as I can get it, anyway - it is therapeutic for me to bust out a new song within a few days, tolerating all of its rough edges.

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:32 pm

I like the third piece best. It reminds a bit of a much softer version of SWANS at the beginning till half of the song, because of the repetitiveness and the overall feeling of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFHQiYvuVlM
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby jonetsu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 am

First of all, thanks for the comments.

milo wrote: As content creators it is really hard for us to predict and understand why some of our creations are received better than others. We put our heart and soul into our work, and we love all of our recordings, but that is no guarantee that anyone else will like them. I am surprised at what strikes a chord with people, and what doesn't. The song which gets downloaded the most from my site is not my favorite or best song, but whatever.


Isn't that often the case. Moreover I would add that at times the creations into which went not that much work are well-received. The ones that are perhaps more spontaneous. The ones that reflects more a first jest, that are keeping the reflect of the first inspiration. Which brings the age-old problem about how to keep spontaneity while adding work on a creation. Over thinking often does not do it. I try to 'put another hat' when mixing. When creating I put the creator's hat, when mixing I try to put the hat of the guy who's given a set of tracks and whose job is to make something out of it. Eg. no going back to the drawing board. Not so easy to do.

The yin and the yang is often reflected in dramatic ways such as sound/silence. Or perhaps taking the time to breathe, expressing this leeway, even with a fast-paced creation.

lilith wrote:It reminds a bit of a much softer version of SWANS at the beginning till half of the song, because of the repetitiveness and the overall feeling of the song.


Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of that band. I've listened to full video, I like it. Wouldn't be playing that all the time, but the energy is good.

Cheers.

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby jonetsu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 am

On sharing links to others' music, after listening the Swans' piece I was inspired by this piece from the Japanese band Mono. Maybe you have heard about this music before. 'Moonlight' always makes an impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B00qU5uc58

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:48 pm

@jonetsu: If you have the chance to see SWANS live you have to visit the concert. I saw them twice and it was mind (and ear) blowing.

https://louderthanwar.com/top-10-loudes ... ibel-king/
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:55 pm

edit
Last edited by lilith on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 pm

jonetsu wrote:On sharing links to others' music, after listening the Swans' piece I was inspired by this piece from the Japanese band Mono. Maybe you have heard about this music before. 'Moonlight' always makes an impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B00qU5uc58


I like it... Compared to Swans it's more shoegaze than noise rock.

You also might check out SHEARWATER, the band of THOR HARRIS from SWANS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbPLy4-OgAw

and maybe this ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHqIxpBC9A0
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby jonetsu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm

lilith wrote:@jonetsu: If you have the chance to see SWANS live you have to visit the concert. I saw them twice and it was mind (and ear) blowing.

https://louderthanwar.com/top-10-loudes ... ibel-king/


One band that I found quite an experience seeing live, twice and once in Germany, is the Residents. Not on a loudness criteria but solely on the weirdness. After 2 hours at a concert, especially the first time, one gets out of the venue and sees ordinary things, streets, sidewalks, cars, people, as strange things. As if that 2 hours really transported the mind in a totally parallel world that by the end of the concert started to somehow make weird sense.

A video is not the same as seeing a concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yK1xu6ZZ8E

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 pm

jonetsu wrote:
lilith wrote:@jonetsu: If you have the chance to see SWANS live you have to visit the concert. I saw them twice and it was mind (and ear) blowing.

https://louderthanwar.com/top-10-loudes ... ibel-king/


One band that I found quite an experience seeing live, twice and once in Germany, is the Residents. Not on a loudness criteria but solely on the weirdness. After 2 hours at a concert, especially the first time, one gets out of the venue and sees ordinary things, streets, sidewalks, cars, people, as strange things. As if that 2 hours really transported the mind in a totally parallel world that by the end of the concert started to somehow make weird sense.

A video is not the same as seeing a concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yK1xu6ZZ8E


I saw them one year ago and I wasn't that much impressed. :? I assume they have been much better in the past, at least this is what people told me. And the singer was really smelling bad ( I was sitting in the first row), very likely because the costume wasn't washed regularly . :cry:
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 pm

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby jonetsu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Wohnst du in Karlsruhe ? Ich habe für vier Jahre in Deustchland gearbeitet. In Wiesbaden. Software Entwicklung. Mainz ist tolle, Wiesbaden ist langweilig.

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby lilith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Ja, Nähe Karlsruhe. Ich war/bin öfter in Mainz arbeiten :mrgreen:
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

_____________________________
Debian 9 (XFCE) & KXStudio repos

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby jonetsu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:22 pm

The good side of the Rhine river, and the bad side 8)

User avatar
psyocean
Established Member
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:54 pm
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Flashback 3 years ago: c2015-15, c2014-26, Cauchemard

Postby psyocean » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 am

Excellent Flashback! :) Two tracks - c2015-15, c2014-26 very good! Cauchemard...hmm, final after 1:30 very nice too, but first half so hard for my hear, feeling as into circus drum :D
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/


Return to “Original Scores & Recordings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest