Love Letters During Winter

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nickture
Established Member

Love Letters During Winter

Post by nickture »

Hi all,
This is the first time I've mustered the courage to release a project of mine to the public at large :lol: . This is an EP project that I started working on last winter (2017). It's a bunch of songs that started out as poems I had swimming around in my head - they focus on little scenes shared between two lovers, ranging from a hike in the forest to a dinner party in town with some of their friends. I must admit my mixing skills are not the best, but I'm learning and hopefully getting better as time goes on! I value your feedback - let me know what you like about it, what could be improved, etc. etc. Thanks!

Recorded completely in Ardour - all songs written, performed (including saxophone parts), and mixed by me.

https://dreaminflannel.bandcamp.com/releases
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Love Letters During Winter

Post by Michael Willis »

The saxophone is my favorite part, but maybe I'm a biased reed-player :lol: I also liked how you did layered vocal takes to harmonize your voice.

How did you do the piano? I couldn't tell if it was a midi track or a real piano recorded with a mic.

I'll have to give this a better listen later... I'm trying to get my boys to go to sleep and the five-year-old kept stealing the headphones and saying "This is really good," so at least you got two thumbs up from him.
nickture
Established Member

Post by nickture »

Thanks! I told myself if nothing else sounded good I should at least aim for the sax parts to be semi decent!

For the piano, it's actually the midi instrument MDE Piano (not to be confused with MDA ePiano :lol: ). I tweaked some of the params on one of the presets that I liked best and added reverb to it, using either MVerb or Dragonfly Reverb. Both of those plugins are really great and I seemed to gravitate to them.

Thanks for the listen!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

nickture wrote:Dragonfly Reverb.
Yes! I'm so glad every time I hear about somebody enjoying Dragonfly Reverb.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Not bad for a first timer! Certainly better than my first upload. :)

I like the last track best, "Neighbors." The drums dropping in and out changes things up just at the right time to keep the listener more engaged. You might try spicing up your sound palette with some more synth sounds on your next project.
nickture
Established Member

Post by nickture »

Thanks! I think I had the most fun writing that one :wink:. I intentionally made these tracks sort of sparse, but I agree that a little more synth can go a long way in any situation. I appreciate the feedback!!
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Very nice, I like it! :)
more about me on my blog