What feelings your own musical creations bring to you ?

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

What feelings your own musical creations bring to you ?

Post by jonetsu »

When you listen to something you created a year ago or so, does it bring feelings that no other music could ?
vitaminx
Established Member

Re: What feelings your own musical creations bring to you ?

Post by vitaminx »

That's the general idea I have about my older tracks. :D
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:When you listen to something you created a year ago or so, does it bring feelings that no other music could ?
Mostly 'oh my, horrible'. Some tracks 'pretty nice, that should be done one more time, and this time properly'.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Well, it's a bit too bad that the music you make does not bring better feelings. No need to compare with other music. Just the music by itself.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Anything from "How the hell did I manage to do that?" to "Oh really? You actually let other people suffer it?"
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:Well, it's a bit too bad that the music you make does not bring better feelings. No need to compare with other music. Just the music by itself.
I kind of feel, that I have been releasing music publicly before my skills for making music are good enough. And actually, skils are now better, but still I can't create music which sounds like I would like it sound, but growing better every day. And still releasing althou I know that this is not perfect and and most like after few months I could this better. However, releasing is way to force myself to finish things somehow, and get things done.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote: I kind of feel, that I have been releasing music publicly before my skills for making music are good enough. And actually, skils are now better, but still I can't create music which sounds like I would like it sound, but growing better every day. And still releasing althou I know that this is not perfect and and most like after few months I could this better. However, releasing is way to force myself to finish things somehow, and get things done.
You're very much right. Although musical pieces are often never settled down. What we hear in commercial CDs, recordings and videos are what these people have decided to settle for. They had a lot of options, with many sounding very good. Even the arrangement and composition had alternatives, and then they decided for something and this is what we hear and like. It also means that on the other side of the mirror, as creators, we face many options and as such none is so-called perfect. There are bad ones that get discarded and then good ones and then very good ones between which it can be difficult to choose for posting publicly. And after posting, 6 months later, we find that it could be better. But people liked it as is. So on this side it's quite rare to have something that can be considered 'perfect'.
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

jonetsu wrote:Well, it's a bit too bad that the music you make does not bring better feelings. No need to compare with other music. Just the music by itself.
My first response was half-way true, on the other hand it brings back nice memories...

A few days ago I listened for the first time since years to Rave music that I've released with a friend in 1995 and '96. It's funny to listen to it now. It all sounds so Lo-Fi.
We worked with OctaMED tracker on an Amiga 2000, with 4 audio tracks (well, you could have 8, but then the quality was worse), and we only had 22k and 8bit output. And everything was recorded to cassette tape for mastering. LOL. Just imagine that today.
It was released on CD compilations, and you can actually hear the tape flanging and warping...

We had tapes full of material, but except for 3 songs everythings lost now.
Everything sounds a bit simplistic compared to what I do now, but who cares, haha.
Back then this is what we had and that's it.

In 2006 I sang and played guitar in an Rock band, somewhere between Alternative and Punk and we got the chance to have some of our songs recorded professionally. I like the mixes until today - but the lyrics where really negative and pessimistic, haha. I guess I'm in a better mood today. And then the bad English grammar, OMG. But the production quality is actually quite good.
Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ET0CQ1uaM
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

In 2006 I sang and played guitar in an Rock band, somewhere between Alternative and Punk and we got the chance to have some of our songs recorded professionally. I like the mixes until today - but the lyrics where really negative and pessimistic, haha. I guess I'm in a better mood today. And then the bad English grammar, OMG. But the production quality is actually quite good.
Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ET0CQ1uaM
Sounds really good! I hear a lot of THE CURE influence here.