A Resonance Of Clouds [music from the Rack]

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

A Resonance Of Clouds [music from the Rack]

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1H-i4j4QAs

I thought I'd posted this one here but I can't find any previous message with the link.

Some LM members have already heard it via KVR and/or the LAU list, but any and all comments are welcome.

This music is made with modules in VCV Rack. The patch is self-generating, i.e. I raise the master mix level, I start the clock, and away it goes. Btw, self-generating patches are A Thing with modular folk (including us virtual modular types). In this kind of patch most of the work goes into designing the synth sounds and creating a flexible self-managing system of routing signals in a more-or-less predictable manner. When left playing the patch will continue to create new material.

For my fellow Racketeers: The original patch is available at https://patchstorage.com/a-resonance-of-clouds/. Another version of the patch (using only free modules) is available in the Files section of the VCV Rack official users group page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack ... 384856080/.

Best regards,

dp
folderol
Established Member

Re: A Resonance Of Clouds [music from the Rack]

Post by folderol »

Well, I picked this up before from somewhere, not that I object to another listen. It really is quite astonishing.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

That was excellent, Dave! This is really motivating to start playing around with VCV Rack.
How do you think one should get started with it? It looks quite daunting with that many modules and cables, but what would be a starting set of modules that would be interesting enough to play around with?

Cheers for sharing! Will try and play it on my show and will let you know if I do.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

chtfn wrote:That was excellent, Dave! This is really motivating to start playing around with VCV Rack.
Thank you for listening and commenting, and I'm very glad it's an inspiration to get into the Rack. :)
How do you think one should get started with it? It looks quite daunting with that many modules and cables, but what would be a starting set of modules that would be interesting enough to play around with?
The basic package includes a set of modules named the Fundamental collection. Most of your essential modules are included in that well-named set, e.g. VCOs, VCAs, VCF, attenuator, mixers, a sequencer, reverb, delay, and other utility modules. Knowing the Fundamentals well is a great way to introduce yourself to the necessary modular concepts.

The basic set also includes the Audible Instruments collection, an amazing set of modules ported from the Mutable Instruments hardware modules. These modules are officially supported by the MI team, which is pretty cool. There are many superb modules in this collection, and I do suggest playing with them a lot. Btw, the collection has grown recently with the addition of two modules that are available for $$$, i.e. they're proprietary ports, and the profits go to charity. Nice.

Rounding out the basic set you'll find the great ESeries E340 "cloud generator" oscillator that's at the center of the Resonance piece. You'll also find a neat collection of modules ported from the Befaco hardware, including the wonderful Rampage.

I started playing with VCV Rack shortly after its announcement in September of last year. A year later I think I'm getting the hang of it, but you'll certainly learn faster than I have. There are now abundant excellent tutorial and other videos on YouTube, look up those by Omri Cohen, also those by Ben de Groot (aka ablaut on YT), Modular Curiosity, Synthikat, and others.
Cheers for sharing! Will try and play it on my show and will let you know if I do.
Thanks again, and Ta! very much for checking out my work.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

Amazing, thank you for the pointers! I already watched Omri's latest video, and he does a great job at explaining concepts. Looking forward to learning more and experimenting with it!

Cheers
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

chtfn wrote:Amazing, thank you for the pointers! I already watched Omri's latest video, and he does a great job at explaining concepts. Looking forward to learning more and experimenting with it!
Btw, if you haven't already done so, be sure to join the Official Users Group page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack/

Of course, there's also an unofficial users group page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702841653234900/

Have fun !

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

A slightly extended version of this piece is now on-line. The new version is merely a concatenation of the earlier recording with another recording (based on the Ions module from Geodesics), but I'm thinking about submitting this version for the next LAC. Enjoy, comments are always welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBs1Sdx7RUE

Best,

dp
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I have a serious bias for this stuff..

Thanks Dave! Your work is amazing! (And I wish I had caught this one back in August!)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

briandc wrote:I have a serious bias for this stuff..
I'm surprised I haven't seen you on the VCV Rack Facebook group yet. :)
Thanks Dave! Your work is amazing! (And I wish I had caught this one back in August!)
Thank you, Brian. I'm having a lot of fun with VCV Rack, it opened a new way of composing for me and it continues to be an exciting and artistically challenging environment. And it's still only at version 0.6.x.

Incidentally, I'm also impressed by its community of users. Most are on Windows, naturally, but there's a strong contingent of Mac and Linux users. All officially released plugins - i.e. those available from the Rack Plugin Manager - are available for Win/Mac/Linux (else they don't get listed). Not all are open-source, but many are. Some cost $$, most are free. Additionally, 3rd-party coders have developed some interesting unofficial creations, including a forked version of Rack with lower latency and the awesome VeeSeeVSTRack plugin. Plenty of Rack patches are available on patchstorage.com, and of course there's that short ton of tutorials on YT that keeps growing in quantity and quality. And just in the past week Andrew Belt (Rack dev #1) released a for-sale (US $30) Rack module that hosts VST plugins. Yes, I can now run Diva in Rack itself, a rather significant expansion of Rack's already impressive powers. So far, the result of all this activity has been a happy progressive community that seems interested only in improving the experience for everyone involved. Sweet.

Best,

dp