Live with Linux

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Live with Linux

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hi

Here's a number of live renditions of our old prog songs with my band mates from 30 years ago. For this live occasion, I built two keyboard PC setups for me and my mate, entirely based on Linux. The setups are based on Xubuntu 14.4 with KXStudio, Carla hosting
  • SetBFree
    OB-XD
    MDA ePiano
    my own Mellotron samples in FluidSynth
    Calf reverb.
MIDI routing and filtering is also done with some of the Carla plugins. Outside Carla, I run the Bristol stringer and MOD Mixer, and all MIDI patches are programmed and controlled using MidiLayer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCId3SU ... xBPh8W3ijg
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Live with Linux

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

With the emphasis on jazz-influenced instrumentals, this reminds me a bit of Focus. For example, "Daemons Part 1" at 7:34 could have come right out of "Hamburger Concerto". But the guitarist doesn't have the same tone as Jan Akkerman. He sounds much more like Pink Floyd's Gilmour. Check the solo around 2:40 and you got Gilmour's slide playing. And "Voyager" has a "Shine on you crazy diamond" vibe. The keyboardist does uses more synth than Thijs Van Leer did. Oh yeah, and no yodeling (although Voyager at 3:30 gets halfway there). Traces of early Genesis in there too. "Part 2" at 3:50 reminds me of Trepass's "Stagnation". And there's a touch of "Firth of Fifth" in "Suite" at 5:58.

What are you using for the leslie sound on SetBFree? It sounds nice. It doesn't sound like SetBFree's built-in leslie effect (which isn't very appealing to me, especially at the faster speeds). But how can you play that M-Audio 88ES (or something deriviative)? I find the action on those unplayable.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Oh, you're from Copenhagen. That explains the Focus emphasis.

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Then you'll be surprised to learn that Leslie is in fact the built in Leslie effect of the SetBFree :D
I linked the sustain pedal CC on MIDI channel 2 to the Leslie, so it can be spun up and down by foot.

I cannot vouch for the playability of the M-Audio keyboard, as I am the guitarist, and I use a Korg Minilogue for the leads and bass pedal parts. Great little synth that is!

Yeah, even though Focus were Dutch, they were big in Denmark too.
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

A band called Etcetera doing prog rock ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tOes0y2hQ

8)

This said, I've only listened to the 'Daemons part 1' track and it sounds very good. The guitar is great. I would say the keys could be a bit more dynamic. The drum 'solo' near the beginning is great.

Cheers.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Wow. That band is really good. I never heard of them before, which is surprising. This would definitely appeal to a Gentle Giant fan. A french-speaking prog-rock band that doesn't do Zuehl music. (But I really like Magma). And a female vocalist is rare too (Renaissance's Annie Haslam, and Henry Cow's Dagmar Krause).

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Etcetera actually played as first act for Gentle Giant. They're not French, they're Québécois. This explains why there's no Zeuhl. Prog rock used to be very popular in Québec, and there's still a scene today. Gentle Giant used to play every year in front of 15,000+ audiences. VDGG used to play regularly in Montréal and Québec. PFM did a few concerts. After all, Roger Waters got the inspiration for "The Wall" at the Montréal concert. 8)

You might be interested in Contraction, from the same era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8AWqTBmVdM

Cheers.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very professional performances indeed - especially as live recordings. Enjoyed all of them. Technically seems well balanced although the vocals seem slightly muffled.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Thanks. The live recordings were mixed from only two sound sources - a mid side mic recording in front of the stage, and a stereo recording from the mixer board. The balance of both recordings were uneven, so it is a bit of a miracle that a listenable mix could be made out of the two. The price though was that the bass is muffled, and that the levels couldn't be properly adjusted.

...oh, and BTW. Post-production was done in Ardour and Kdenlive. Of course!
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

hi,very compliment for plays and mix audio video group progressive music. Beautiful uses of instruments and systems open source based on gnu linux. :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

I love your project, nice music and nice setup! Awesome :)