My Abode

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

My Abode

Post by milo »

Here is may latest recording, again done entirely on Linux: https://alansanderson.band/2018/06/02/w ... as-lonely/. Used Ardour on Linux Mint with a Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface.

This is different from most songs you will hear posted on Linux forums, because it is not electronica. It is actually acoustic (except for an electric bass part). And it was my first recording to include a mandolin. Enjoy!
milo
Established Member

Re: My Abode

Post by milo »

Also, I wrote a tablature score for the song, which you can find here if you want to learn how to play it: https://alansanderson.band/2018/07/14/g ... -on-linux/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

He he, when I read "on my 7-mile bike ride to work" I thought pfffttt, 7-mile, that's nothing, no need to mention it.

And then I saw the picture. An incredible scenery ! Seeing that going back and forth to work must be totally great.

The song is well done. The feeling of the song passes through the recording very well. Voice and guitar are very well rendered. The mandolin has something not right though. It feels too thin, even for a mandolin. There are chances that it could express, in the recording/mixing, more warmth to better complement the song.

Cheers.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

That scenery looks suspiciously familiar, I'm guessing it is somewhere along the Rocky Mountain range in North America?

Oh, and it was a nice recording, I really like hearing acoustic recordings here, and I'm trying to practice acoustic recording myself as well.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Michael Willis wrote:That scenery looks suspiciously familiar, I'm guessing it is somewhere along the Rocky Mountain range in North America?
Good guess! It is the Wasatch Mountains in Salt Lake City. My house was at the base of the mountain in the center of the photo.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Enjoyed this. Very clear vocals, smooth overall sound. Interesting choice of instrument for the solo!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}