A Drone, With Sura (music from the Rack)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

A Drone, With Sura (music from the Rack)

Post by davephillips »

Greetings !

I'm slowly moving into actual music work with VCV Rack. Here's a recent example, made from ambient drones with melody, harmonized melody, and severely treated radio broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGAIgxrU_nk

Production details can be read on the YT page. The rendering suffers from some audio inconsistencies but it is a fair representation of the piece/performance. Forgive me, I'm still a modular synthesis newbie.

Best regards,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Re: A Drone, With Sura (music from the Rack)

Post by GMaq »

Hi Dave,

Great to see you down here in this section again! :)

I'm afraid I don't have much of a frame of reference for the piece itself and I know very little about the tools you're using but I VERY much admire your tenacity to dig into new things and bring your compositional skills to them which always comes through loud and clear regardless of the genre. To me that is as inspiring as the pieces themselves.

Thanks for sharing. :D
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I've never been able to get into modulars at all, so you're well ahead of me there. having said that, I'm afrad the track doesn't really do anything for me - I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It's interesting. Were you playing any keyboard at all ? Are all the variations produced by modulations of various sorts assorted with knob-turning ?

Cheers.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

jonetsu wrote:It's interesting. Were you playing any keyboard at all ? Are all the variations produced by modulations of various sorts assorted with knob-turning ?
No keyboard, but the piece is driven by a MIDI sequence. And yes, the modulations are primarily produced by LFOs, envelopes, and triggers, particularly from the remarkable Rampage module. I confess I did manually adjust a knob or two here and there. :)

My thanks to all listeners and commentators. The piece is a very simple thing, a test for myself to actually make a piece of music with the virtual modular (no way I can afford the hardware modulars). VCV Rack is a fascinating environment, but it's taken some time to get familiar with a productive method. I still rely on MIDI for melodic/harmonic composition, though I'm working on self-generative patches too.

Best regards,

dp