A Challenge

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

A Challenge

Post by folderol »

I first heard this song (a cover) about a year ago, performed by Rusty Stringz (Ged) and Hans, I was totally captivated by it.
Recently I thought I could add a little to it. As Ged originally just played this live and there would be natural timing variations, I knew from past experience this wouldn't be easy. However, this time I decided to to really put myself to the test. The background choir fill-ins were relatively straight forward - nice slow indistinct attack and decay. The little fluty twiddles were OK. The Bass line was much harder. Timing had to be much better, and pitching too. However, the real test was adding percussion that matched the song variations, yet didn't seem too irregular. Hopefully I succeeded!

It is on SC here.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Re: A Challenge

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

What a great tune, I can see why you like it so much!

Nice job on rounding out and filling the arrangement, the sounds perfectly backlight without competing with that great vocal and guitar work. Great work!
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Sounds good. The easiest way I've found to fit MIDI to a performance after the fact is with the tempo mapping feature of Ardour. There's a great video tutorial here. You can also do the same thing in Tracktion (and possibly other DAWs)

I've never really liked playing to a click track, so I make most of my music this way around now. This is a fairly representative example.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I've also had a positive comment from Ged - I'm always a bit nervous when working with other peoples material :oops:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}