Spring Theme

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Spring Theme

Post by jonetsu »

Hello,

This is a simple, upbeat and straightforward track, largely based on synths, with a touch of acoustic guitar. No angst in this one, or maybe just a little touch of drama.

The synth solo was made using Repro-1 seconded by Monique. The piano parts were pianoteq flanked by an electric piano from Discovery Pro. The sequenced foundation was made using Bazille. The guitar part was played on a Shiraki guitar,
with some fair bit of treatment. As always, created in Bitwig, mixed and masterized in Mixbus32C. Enjoy. Comments of all kinds welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/spring-theme

Cheers.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Spring Theme

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Like the happy and hopeful vibe on this one! The organic sounding drums and the lope of the bass really flow nicely. The synths 'evolve' throughout very nicely and in a few places they give me a visual of sun breaking through the clouds... Love the repeating sequence underneath, it gives a nice momentum. Very nice acoustic guitar work as well!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks ! A new version was uploaded that has some drum parts more centered and with the guitar parts a tad more present.
(Saturday 7th 11:00)

Cheers.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

jonetsu wrote:Thanks ! A new version was uploaded that has some drum parts more centered and with the guitar parts a tad more present.
(Saturday 7th 11:00)

Cheers.
A soft, retro kick with more tone would be nice and make it even more cozy.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

bluebell wrote: A soft, retro kick with more tone would be nice and make it even more cozy.
Good suggestion. Many bands go the mixing engineer with drum samples for instance. They tell the engineer this is now they want their drummer's snare to sound like. They have a drummer and a drum track, but they bring nevertheless some samples. And the mix engineer replaces the hits over the drum track. I never did that yet, but it's surely tempting.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

jonetsu wrote:
bluebell wrote: A soft, retro kick with more tone would be nice and make it even more cozy.
Good suggestion. Many bands go the mixing engineer with drum samples for instance. They tell the engineer this is now they want their drummer's snare to sound like. They have a drummer and a drum track, but they bring nevertheless some samples. And the mix engineer replaces the hits over the drum track. I never did that yet, but it's surely tempting.
The kick sound wasn't a sample? For me the kick sounds like a sound from a drum machine. So I thought it could be easily replaced without "destroying" the initial setup.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

bluebell wrote: The kick sound wasn't a sample? For me the kick sounds like a sound from a drum machine. So I thought it could be easily replaced without "destroying" the initial setup.
The drums are loops played by a real drummer. I see that as having a real drummer. I would not "program" a human drummer. He would instead contribute with something hopefully relevant. That the kick may sound like a sample is something else belonging to the audio take, EQ, mixing (compression levels).