Sequench

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Sequench

Post by jonetsu »

A piece based on a short sequence over which an acoustic guitar defines a theme and does some improvisation. Mostly a laid back feeling in which the bass and sequence establishes the foundation.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/sequench

Cheers.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Sequench

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Another good one! Love the ambient sound of the acoustic guitar and that bass is like a hug for the ears.. :lol: Also like how it evolves into more layers, as usual an interesting sonic journey.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

How things happen sometimes. I'm actually working on two 'well-thought' elaborated pieces when suddenly this one shouts out loud "make way!".

This said, I'm not too happy with the guitar noises. Might be just me that amplifies it, but there's a lot of fret noise that shouldn't be there I find. I'll have to spend serious time tinkering with the mics, the compression and... the playing technique. I'm also thinking about getting a transducer that can be sticked to the guitar body, made by that company just a few streets away.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Very groovy, I get a nice laidback feeling from this.
jonetsu wrote: This said, I'm not too happy with the guitar noises. Might be just me that amplifies it, but there's a lot of fret noise that shouldn't be there I find. I'll have to spend serious time tinkering with the mics, the compression and... the playing technique. I'm also thinking about getting a transducer that can be sticked to the guitar body, made by that company just a few streets away.
I wouldn't go the way of transducer mics unless you plan to play live. I would definitely argue catching the acoustic sound of the guitar must be done with a microphone.
One obvious solution is to change your playing style, hit the strings harder, it would also have the benefit of giving a clearer tone.
MusE DAW
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Really nice track, both musically and production.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

spamatica wrote:Very groovy, I get a nice laidback feeling from this.
Thanks. I like these kind of grooves where there are spaces in-between. It almost like listening to such a groove induces listener participation somehow. Or some active listening which is not found in well laid out rhythms where this is bypassed and goes straight to other centers of attention.
spamatica wrote:I wouldn't go the way of transducer mics unless you plan to play live. I would definitely argue catching the acoustic sound of the guitar must be done with a microphone. One obvious solution is to change your playing style, hit the strings harder, it would also have the benefit of giving a clearer tone.
Can you say a bit more about why a transducer wouldn't such a good choice ? Currently I use two mics, Audio-Technica AT2021 and AT2020:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... index.html

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... 62b5ed0e2/

They go into a MPA2 stereo tube preamp then into a VLA2 tube compressor. So there are quite a few variables to adjust right there, in addition placing the mics. If I get a transducer it could go into one of the preamp, replacing a mic, or it could go to a passive direct box and be a 3rd audio in for the guitar.

That's considering the Shiraki guitar I use which does not have a hole. I'm also thinking of getting a hole pick-up for a Takamine that I haven't used for a while.

About the playing, yes, the player could be better ! I do not use a pick. Combined with the Shiraki that does not project as much as a guitar with a hole, it could be a disadvantage also. As a first step, before getting either a transducer or a pick-up, adjusting the playing style and using the Takamine could be interesting.

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote:Really nice track, both musically and production.
Thanks ! On this one I did not like the bass sounds up to the last minute where I switched the synth sound in the mix and dropped most of the compression at the mastering stage. The compression that I use so often drove me nuts on this one. I actually used only the spectral compressor on this one, to focus the bass. I think I will go on a diet regarding compressors at the mastering stage.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

jonetsu wrote:This said, I'm not too happy with the guitar noises.
I actually liked those sounds, I say embrace it instead of fighting it.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

jonetsu wrote: Can you say a bit more about why a transducer wouldn't such a good choice ?
Modern acoustic pickups can be very good but in my opinion, if you want a natural sound you should try to capture the sound the guitar projects towards the listener, not capture it inside the guitar.
The main benefit of an acoustic pickup is getting a good sound in an environment where you can't capture the guitar with microphones, in other words, while playing live.

But then again if the natural sound isn't so important for you it could be the solution and sound good. Also as you mention, it could be used together with microphones, might work, might not.

If your other guitar is louder that is definitely something to try too.
MusE DAW
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Michael Willis wrote:I actually liked those sounds, I say embrace it instead of fighting it.
Words from the wise.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

spamatica wrote: But then again if the natural sound isn't so important for you it could be the solution and sound good. Also as you mention, it could be used together with microphones, might work, might not.
It's more like any sound can be all right. It's worthed for me to spend more time on getting a natural sound, though, as part of a palette. Thanks for the comments.