Two home-made tracks

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Two home-made tracks

Post by sadko4u »

Just posting here two home-made tracks of our band Voice of Sands.
These both were recorded more than 6 month ago and finally they became done.

https://soundcloud.com/vosands/dune
https://soundcloud.com/vosands/through-the-galaxy
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
tramp
Established Member

Re: Two home-made tracks

Post by tramp »

Hi

through-the-galaxy is really great, love it. I've added it to my collection.
On dune, the voices ain't be mine, don't know how to say, maybe they are a bit to high? Don't know.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

42low wrote:Sounds great. Great guitar play too.

May i ask if it was your goal to get the drums slightly off count? (most in dune)
I think that if you put the drums slightly earlier your song will get more power. The "to late" drums slow down the experience of the song.
But if it was your goal this way, good for me.
(friendly well meanth feedback!)
The main problem is that originally drums were recorded not too straight, so I needed to align them, somewhere a lot. So sometimes they're floating a bit around the grid. That's sometimes also true about other instruments. We're currently not perfect players, so just play as we can :).
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I really like the sound of the instruments and the voice. Guitars have a classic, clean distortion and I really like the texture of the singer's voice.

I think that the rhythm is where there is most room for improvement. As you guys already noted, the instruments seems not to be on the same page of the time divisions pretty often. This sometimes make feel the groove really strange, as in "not resolving" and "hard to count" strange. Also, it does feel unintentional, which is why it probably requires more work. I think that the best way to fix it is, for all musicians, to take care, while rehearsing, to listen very carefully to the rhythm instruments and trying to line in the key beats with the same intention. Of course, this works if the rhythm instruments, most importantly the drums, have a good degree of consistency in their laying of the beats to begin with.

The effectiveness of the groove can be enhanced In post production: it is often useful to slide the whole recorded tracks in time until the groove starts sounding "maximally natural". This is a way to try to improve live skills too. It is hard to learn how to "delay yourself of 20 ms with respect the drums", but it is easy to try to imitate a song that has a certain feeling. Once you get a part recorded and edited sounding like you want, it is worth to attempting to imitate it very well while playing, and then the brain should be able to do the magic and help bring groove consistency to the whole of the song. That is, you should be able to converge to a natural groove intention after iterating few times through recording, listening critically, post-processing to get it closer to the time intention that works best, record again.

I think that this sound has the potential to hammer through like a tank once you get the band nicely time aligned together. It doesn't need to be quartz perfect, a good synergy of all instruments is enough.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

CrocoDuck wrote:I really like the sound of the instruments and the voice. Guitars have a classic, clean distortion and I really like the texture of the singer's voice.
Yes, I've specially re-amped them with Peavey 5150-II and Krank Krankenstein amplifiers. So guitars are not simulated with any amplifier, they're really sounding amplifiers.
CrocoDuck wrote:I think that the rhythm is where there is most room for improvement. As you guys already noted, the instruments seems not to be on the same page of the time divisions pretty often. This sometimes make feel the groove really strange, as in "not resolving" and "hard to count" strange. Also, it does feel unintentional, which is why it probably requires more work. I think that the best way to fix it is, for all musicians, to take care, while rehearsing, to listen very carefully to the rhythm instruments and trying to line in the key beats with the same intention. Of course, this works if the rhythm instruments, most importantly the drums, have a good degree of consistency in their laying of the beats to begin with.
Yes, there's a lot of work to do. Also when we've recorded guitars, we haven't played enough (trained) these songs.
CrocoDuck wrote: The effectiveness of the groove can be enhanced In post production: it is often useful to slide the whole recorded tracks in time until the groove starts sounding "maximally natural". This is a way to try to improve live skills too. It is hard to learn how to "delay yourself of 20 ms with respect the drums", but it is easy to try to imitate a song that has a certain feeling. Once you get a part recorded and edited sounding like you want, it is worth to attempting to imitate it very well while playing, and then the brain should be able to do the magic and help bring groove consistency to the whole of the song. That is, you should be able to converge to a natural groove intention after iterating few times through recording, listening critically, post-processing to get it closer to the time intention that works best, record again.
Yes, that's right. I decided currently to not to do all these things. Also there was a bit another recording order: we recorded guitars first. If double track is recorded well, then it should sound in mono without huge chorus effect. This was controlled attentively. But guitars were recorded before drums, with a metronome click. And then I sat the whole day and aligned drums into the click. Not always that was success. I think I should also take more attention to DIs when recording.
CrocoDuck wrote: I think that this sound has the potential to hammer through like a tank once you get the band nicely time aligned together. It doesn't need to be quartz perfect, a good synergy of all instruments is enough.
Sure. Good rhythm => good groove, it's an important rule.
Last edited by sadko4u on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi

Great stuff! Great guitars and the guitar tone sounds massive!! I'd like to hear more bass and kick drum to fill up the low end.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

GMaq wrote:Hi

Great stuff! Great guitars and the guitar tone sounds massive!! I'd like to hear more bass and kick drum to fill up the low end.
Thanks! I'll work on it in future.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Also, here's some our live stuff. You can watch us on video :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rq2T4w5J1E
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

sadko4u wrote:Also, here's some our live stuff. You can watch us on video :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rq2T4w5J1E
The sound works way better live, the groove feels much more consistent and natural. I think the drummer needs to improve the most, but I actually really like the way she plays: she gets a really nice sound out. Technique seems also good, probably just need to critically listen more to the records and locate where she needs to concentrate most. Nothing really major, some more practice will fix this nicely. As always, the same goes for the rest of the members, but I think to a lesser extent, somewhat. Couldn't quite make out the bass clearly, which always happens in this kind of recordings.

Overall I think that the band works well: it feels like you are very synergic in terms of sound: it is like the timbres of all instruments and voices were carefully selected. I had the same impression from the recordings, it is nice to see this live too. There are parts where all of you guys are very nicely coordinated, and there the sound is really terrific. Nice one!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I'm not really in to this kind stuff anymore but what you have done is very good. From a production standpoint they sound fantastic.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Like this songs!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/