Soca Philosophy

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Soca Philosophy

Post by jonetsu »

Hello !

This piece marks the return of the acoustic guitar. This is a bright, almost airy in its tones, rhytmic piece. Easy listening ? I do not know, but it surely flows by nicely. Synths open and closes the piece while the theme is played on xylophone and cimbalon (Pianoteq). No mysteries here, no melancholy, just bright and open.

On the mixing side, 'Soca Philosophy' was mixed using Mixbus32C, the commercial counterpart supporting Ardour development. Approx. 35 tracks were used, 5 busses, and two VCAs. Not many plugins were used if you put aside the x42 EQ used as subtractive EQ on each track, as well as the x42 1/3 Octave Spectrum Display on each track, post fader. The new addition was the use of u-he Uhbik Tremolo on some sequenced tracks to give a stereo rhtythm. The acoustic guitar went trought the usual MPA2 and VLA2 stereo tube preamp and compressors, then through OvertoneDSP's Pulltec emulations. There was a clear problem of integrating the acoustic guitar into the synth layers. Hopefully it turns out not too bad.

'Soca Philosophy' was created in Bitwig and refined and mixed in Mixbus32C. All guitars were recorded in Mixbus32C. System is Linux Mint 18, KDE.

And as always, for Pete's sake, I listen to the soundcloud upload and find that it's not really reflecting what I was working on - alas, that's how it goes for now !

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/soca-philosophy

Cheers.
psyocean
Established Member

Re: Soca Philosophy

Post by psyocean »

Prosperous musical life... Good! :)
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Definitely a nice one! I have it opened in Soundcloud as I type this.

Btw, here's an image from beginning of December. It's called "Mützenständer" (our small one invented that term):

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Hi Al,

I have put some bass tracks on it - in my dropbox, links in your mail.

Hope you like it, and can use some of it.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog