I released my self-titled album today!

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

marksilver
Established Member

I released my self-titled album today!

Post by marksilver »

Hey all!

Today, in the wee hours of the central timezone morning on the 22nd of August 2017, I released my self-titled album, which was made entirely using libre software on Antergos/Arch linux!

I'd appreciate it very much if you'd take a listen & give me your feedback. :)
GMaq
Established Member

Re: I released my self-titled album today!

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Congrats on your album release!

Still listening but enjoying the melodies and lyrical ideas so far, Just an observation but it sounds like some of the songs could be sung an octave up to give the vocals a bit more expression and put them in a different sonic space in the mix, perhaps singing in a lower register was a stylistic choice on your part. In the future you might consider playing around with different keys to find where your vocal sweet spot is to give the vocals a bit more power and presence.

In any case you should be proud of what you've accomplished, finishing an album of that size is quite an impressive feat!
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Marc, as you know I am a huge fan of your FAWM stuff. Congratulations on this release! You've got a great ability to mix cleverness and sincerity.

This is something I would listen to regardless of the Linux connection. Good luck on your next projects and please keep the music going while you're in Uni and beyond.
listenable at c6a7.org
marksilver
Established Member

Post by marksilver »

GMaq wrote:Just an observation but it sounds like some of the songs could be sung an octave up to give the vocals a bit more expression and put them in a different sonic space in the mix, perhaps singing in a lower register was a stylistic choice on your part. In the future you might consider playing around with different keys to find where your vocal sweet spot is to give the vocals a bit more power and presence.
Thanks for the feedback! Yea, primarily on the first two tracks was the use of a lower register a stylistic choice on my part. That's largely a product of how I did vocals for some of these tracks in their earlier iteration, & my want to preserve that. Lucky for you, a lot of the material I'm writing for one of my future albums is actually well suited for the higher end of my range. :)
ufug wrote:You've got a great ability to mix cleverness and sincerity.
Thanks! I think my desire to channel my more contemplative thoughts in the lyrics & my somewhat-sarcastic sense of humor basically wrote this album. :P
ufug wrote:This is something I would listen to regardless of the Linux connection. Good luck on your next projects and please keep the music going while you're in Uni and beyond.
I suppose it's a testament to the ability of libre software to compete in an industry primarily dominated by a balanced breakfast (fruity loops + apple macintosh). And don't you worry; I've got all sorts of music stuff in the works, & I'm sure I'll add to that while at university. :)
forestandgarden
Established Member

Post by forestandgarden »

Certainly not the last time I shall listen to the album. Straw in the Ocean was my favorite this time. Both voice registers are fine to me (and the combination - doing octaves - deserves a favorable mention), the voices are prominent enough in the mix to not go amiss in any case, and you're not trying to be Freddy Mercury - enjoy the variety of stylistic means available to you. The sarcasm seems to help freedom, in fact, because with an ironic undertone, you can allow yourself liberties that a 'serious artist' will have to forsake :)

Thanks for making this available.
some of my stuff is ending up here https://alooshu.byethost17.com and here https://clyp.it/user/i4p5dng1 , and you can love me at https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu
marksilver
Established Member

Post by marksilver »

forestandgarden wrote:Certainly not the last time I shall listen to the album. ... Thanks for making this available.
Wow, thanks! I'm glad this has earned multiple listens. :)
forestandgarden wrote:The sarcasm seems to help freedom, in fact, because with an ironic undertone, you can allow yourself liberties that a 'serious artist' will have to forsake
I mean, it's really part of the grand scope of how I approach music. I would never think twice about how sarcastic or serious to make a song's lyrics because I make music that feels honest & satisfying to me, all for the fun of it. As a result, I've been of the opinion that anyone who is willing to restrain their own musical/lyrical style on the basis of being a "serious" musician is not actually taking music seriously, because music is, in my opinion, an art with which people can and should express themselves in a way that other artistic mediums may not capture.