Pop Album mixed in Linux

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

singforme
Established Member

Pop Album mixed in Linux

Post by singforme »

Hi there, This is the first full album I mixed in Linux again after 6 1/2 years of mainly Windows mixing.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3S9GndiAM6JR56cLxwVaue

All mixing done in Mixbus, some extra drum programming in Hydrogen. My new plugin friends are calf vintage delay and IR.

Enjoy!
raboof
Established Member

Re: Pop Album mixed in Linux

Post by raboof »

Unfortunately that link doesn't work for me as I currently don't have DRM support installed in my browser - might be good to share the band/album name too? :)
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Thanx raboof! DRM sucks;) hard truth is though: Youtube, itunes and Spotify are the new tape, vinyl, radio whatever :(

Here's a link to three of the songs.

https://www.paintedonsilentblue.com/heaven-is
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

How much do you charge? :)
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Schöne Lieder, Katrin! Dabei liebe ich Dich... Ohrwurm.

I also couldn't access it in Spotify, since I'm no member there. But maybe you could tell us more about the process, and Mixbus, Hydrogen, calf vintage delay and IR. Was the whole album only made with free tools (I know Mixbus isn't free as in cost, but it's based on Ardour, so that counts as "free" in my opinion), or did you use some commercial plugins/VSTs and such?

Thanks,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Ah, found more at your bandcamp site - after watching the (German speaking) interview at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig4OQKiYNg and your song at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs21sEl6404

Wow, you're a good live act too, so congrats again Katrin, Julia, Moritz, Benjamin and to the rest of your team. God bless you all. I'll buy your CD at Bandcamp or at Amazon (want to give it to my daughter who is 12 and making music as well).

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Luc: No money involved so far;)

Danke Wolfgang!
The songs were recorded and programmed in Garageband on a Mac, then I got the tracks from Katrin and I only contributed a little here and there, some touches of synths (u-he tyrell n.6, mda ePiano) and some additional Hydrogen drum/percussion programming.
Mixbus comes with it's own compression and EQ so I used plugins mainly for deessing, reverb and delay. Calf plugins and IR are great for all of that;)

One thing I'm missing in Linux is a simple and usable Stereo widener;)

I then sent the mixed tracks to this guy for mastering:

https://www.fiverr.com/thebeatbanditz/m ... 867a975006
He's great!

Lastly I prepared the tracks for CD manufacturing in Ardour 5.9. using Andreas Rueges DDP mastering tools which is much easier than I thought.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Ah cool singforme, thanks for the explanation!

So the instruments (like e-piano and drums) are from Garageband? Or did you only take the midi data and used the mentioned Linux tools & plugins like the mda e-piano? I guess my main question is about the drums: are these real drums, or some from Garageband or Hydrogen? They definitely have a feel like played on a real set (reminds me a bit of people like Larnell Lewis or "Spud" from Snarky Puppy (if you don't know them, look up the GroundUpMusic channel on Youtube).

Do you also know how Katrin & her team record it - is that GarageBand on an iPad, or on a Mac (I'm asking because I'm very impressed with Logic's ability to show chord symbols in realtime, my daughter is a composer, so thinking about that - dunno if anything like this exists for Linux as well).

Again, nice songs - like that polyrhythm feel (like a 3/4 layered above 4/4 or vice versa).

Thanks again, and
cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Hi Wolfgang,

drums are mostly Garageband's new Drummer feature. It's the coolest Auto-Drummer I've ever seen. If anyone in the Linux-World would like to have a go at programming something like it, tit would be really cool. You can choose a drummer character and a drum set and then it analyses the audio in the track and creates a drum track.

Most of the other instruments also came from Katrin and were mostly garageband virtual instruments.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

I think they used CD Baby.
There are so many services out there that do that.
I've used routenote before, they give you a free option.
Distro-Kid is very popular too.

What I don't like about all of these services: The don't like creative commons music :(
42low wrote:Great songs :thumbsup:
(in the non spotify links, as i have no spotify)

Would appreciate it very much if you could tell me how you get those on spotify. :mrgreen:
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

singforme wrote:Hi Wolfgang,

drums are mostly Garageband's new Drummer feature. It's the coolest Auto-Drummer I've ever seen. If anyone in the Linux-World would like to have a go at programming something like it, tit would be really cool. You can choose a drummer character and a drum set and then it analyses the audio in the track and creates a drum track.

Most of the other instruments also came from Katrin and were mostly garageband virtual instruments.
Thanks singforme!

Ok; maybe I'll get an iPad as the next device for our daughter - the Android tablet market is a bit stalled anyway, and Linux on tablets is more or less a complete non-topic...

Will be interesting to see if there's any integration possible with all the Linux stuff we have already.

LG,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Hi Wolfgang,

yes, Ipad is cool. I think they used a 4 years old Mac Book Air but I've seen the drummer feature also on an IPad 2. With Garageband you can buy a 5 Dollar Expansion Pack that gives you loads of extra Virtual Instruments.
For musicians that are not into technical stuff Garageband is really cool.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Hi 42low,

Yeah it would be great to see which services other people use for online distrbution!
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Good idea, yeah it's a great place!

Btw: Album hit bandcamp today:

paintedonsilentblue.bandcamp.com
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

singforme wrote:
Btw: Album hit bandcamp today:

paintedonsilentblue.bandcamp.com
Vorhin hab ich meiner Tochter die drei Demo-Lieder vorgespielt. "Voll schön!" war ihr Kommentar. Also hab ich's als Geschenk von der Bandcamp-Seite für sie geordert. Danke für den Hinweis!

For our English readers: my daughter totally liked the three demo songs, so I ordered the album - thanks for the hint with bandcamp!
more about me on my blog