Rated Blue tracking live with Mixbus 32C

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Rated Blue tracking live with Mixbus 32C

Post by GMaq »

Hi

Maiden voyage tracking live with Harrison Mixbus 32C (based on Ardour) and I love it! We're experimenting with a live Audio/Video workflow and learning as we go. This was recorded live (warts and all) and there is very little EQ and only a tiny bit of GVerb plate. Video was edited with Cinelerra Video Editor.

https://youtu.be/zxWuNJrdPVE

Doubtless some may be baffled by the 'TrioSonic' mix :wink: :lol:
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Rated Blue tracking live with Mixbus 32C

Post by jonetsu »

This is a welcoming style. Must be easy to find weekly gigs in any type of bar/food venue around town, get the name of the band in the local paper and then some.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Lots of energy in this. Good solid rock (as usual).
Oh, by the way, would you mind not making that guitar work look so easy :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

thanks all for listening and commenting, your time is very much appreciated :wink:

@jonetsu

It's funny you say that, although I have been fortunate to keep busy as a part-time paid musician for over 25 years, Rated Blue is far more fulfilling with the opportunity to play original compositions but getting work is not so easy, I live in a rural area and our heavy blues-based sound is a small niche market so without larger festivals in big cities we don't get much opportunity to play gigs close to home.

@folderol

Thanks for the kind words, Hah! I'm always at war with the guitar, I just learned years ago to stop frowning with my tongue hanging out.. :lol:

@42low,

Haha, who needs a label, we just gave up and made our own :D. Thanks for the kind comments. Looking forward to your collaboration song. :wink:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Yeah, then maybe local to a larger town/city. How far are you from T.O. ? If you're so far south, then maybe the other side of the border :o The music, the original compositions, would certainly be welcomed in a few pubs to start with. I mean, the band's not doing circonvoluted progressive art rock or metal or trap or whatever. This kind of blues rock always flows well in crowds. The honest direct feeling associated to the style is always a pleaser, especially when it's well felt and well played.

He he, in a rural area, maybe an 'unplugged' version of the band ?

Amplified, of course.
Last edited by jonetsu on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Really well done! It was cool to see Mixbus 32c up in the control room shots.

How were you miking drums? Did you have a mono overhead up on the boom with the camera over the kit?
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tseaver wrote:Really well done! It was cool to see Mixbus 32c up in the control room shots.

How were you miking drums? Did you have a mono overhead up on the boom with the camera over the kit?
Hi, thanks for taking a look,

Yes that is an ART M-Four tube condenser as a single overhead, the drum camera is clamped to the ballast side of the boom. We are using a Presonus 1818VSL as the recording interface so we are limited to 8 inputs so the mics are as follows:

Kick - AKG D112
Snare - Shure SM57
Tom - Sennheiser e609
Floor Tom - Sennheiser e609
Drum OH - ART M-Four
Bass Cab - Sennheiser e609
Guitar Cab - Apex 415 (with 10db cut engaged)
Vocal - Audio Technica mb4k (One of the best 'cheap' condensers out there, excellent vocal mic for live performance for less $$ than a Shure SM58)
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Great vocal performance and guitar playing, more excellent drumming from your son and shades of 'Trampled Under Foot' - what's not to like?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

magicalex wrote:Great vocal performance and guitar playing, more excellent drumming from your son and shades of 'Trampled Under Foot' - what's not to like?
@magicalex

Thanks! Appreciate your comments.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Here's another song from the same session (I'm a little addicted to video editing..lol), more dynamic range in this one, we were very pleased with the kick drum sound. Big Muff fuzz and Phaser compliments of the MOD-Duo... :D

https://vimeo.com/206779678
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Sounds great. Excellent solo - love the Big Muff fuzz.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

magicalex wrote:Sounds great. Excellent solo - love the Big Muff fuzz.
Yeah it's weird, I have a few friends with the actual EHX Big Muff pedal of varying vintages but I really prefer the MOD simulation (in this case anyway). The MOD Phaser also has a really good authentic 70's funk vibe (ie "Who's that Lady" by the Isley Brothers). I also have an Ernie Ball Volume pedal in the chain which has a feature to go higher than 100% which drives the front end of the tube amp a bit harder so you get a really nice natural Overdrive boost without using extra pedals... anyway boring guitar stuff, but the MOD has certainly exceeded my expectations for authentic sounds.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

GMaq wrote: The MOD Phaser also has a really good authentic 70's funk vibe
Guess I'll have to try it out, then.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Hey Glen, this is absolutely great work, sound and video alike. I spent a decade doing publishing admin and royalty accounting for some well-known artists in the genre, and the vibe and skill you guys have is head and shoulders above 97.388% of the blues acts out there. We are lucky to have you as such a key player in the Linux audio community. You really make the case. So good!
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi ufug,

Thanks for the very kind (but undeserved) words. Indeed 'Blues' is a funny genre these days, in playing some Blues festivals last year it seemed to consist mainly of 2 archetypes (1) The relaxed purveyors of 'uptown' Chicago style blues, note perfect with nobody breaking a sweat or taking any chances on their instruments and (2) The super fire hot lead guitarist with just enough chords to solo very quickly over all the while singing songs about the opposite sex at a junior-high mentality level even though they are middle-aged.

I don't really want to do either so we just try to do what we enjoy and although it has been a bit disappointing to not really find a niche that to date doesn't seem to offend purists or disappoint rockers. My point is to receive some kind recognition for our work from good folks like you (and others who have posted) is VERY encouraging and really appreciated.

We are very fortunate to have a community here that is so widely varied in talents and abilities and yet so supportive of each other.

Very cool also to have music industry insider like you here, has your work experience influenced how you produce and market your own music?