My First Song

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

My First Song

Post by finotti »

First, I'd like to say thanks! Members of this forum were a huge help in getting me started!

This my first complete production. It's a song I wrote over 20 years ago and there was no recording of it. After watching Michael Oswald's A complete audio production workflow with Muse and Ardour, I decided to start working on new songs. (If Michael is a member here, you have my eternal gratitude for that tutorial!)

You can find the song here: http://luisfinotti.org/music/files/OldN ... _07.00.mp3.

For more information on the process (and waaay more than you'd possibly care to know), check here: http://luisfinotti.org/music/#oldnew.

Comments and critiques are welcome. But keep in mind is my very first project, so don't be too hard on me. :)

Again, thanks for all the help!
folderol
Established Member

Re: My First Song

Post by folderol »

That's a very creditable production by any standard.
Well done.
I read through your notes. It seems you've learned a lot of useful techniques in a relatively short time, and are not afraid to mix-n-match to get just the sound you want.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Nice job! Sounds like it could be a lost 80s superhero catoon theme. And I mean that in a good way.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

magicalex wrote:Nice job! Sounds like it could be a lost 80s superhero catoon theme. And I mean that in a good way.
Perfectly said. Very nicely done!
listenable at c6a7.org
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Nice one Luis! And your story reads a bit like mine - tho I'm the bass guy, and a bit older. But also Focusrite (6i6 2nd), Debian (stable), Ardour, some samples in Qsampler, and so on...
But since I currently only have a cheap classical (nylon) guitar, I'm mostly recording our 12-year-old daughter, who plays piano, horn, and recorder. Have to practice on that guitar tho, which is fun when you have a condenser mic pointing at it ;-)
Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Pretty accurate work with mixing. Not perfect but much better than my first mixes :).
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

That was beautiful.

-Matt :D

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks all for taking the time to listen (and some even read through my ramblings!) and for the kind and encouraging words! I really appreciate it!

Although I was very proud of it, I was also a bit insecure about the results. (A child is always beautiful to the parent.) :-) So it was reassuring to hear some positive feedback!
wjl wrote: [snip] Have to practice on that guitar tho, which is fun when you have a condenser mic pointing at it ;-)
God, recording myself has been very humbling...
magicalex wrote:Nice job! Sounds like it could be a lost 80s superhero catoon theme. And I mean that in a good way.
Ha! Thanks! I did grow up watching cartoons in the 80s, so I guess it just rubbed off on me. :-) At least I'm in good company: remember Brian May's "Star Fleet"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7GFU5ncKhU
sadko4u wrote:Pretty accurate work with mixing. Not perfect but much better than my first mixes :).
Thanks! Any recommendations and criticisms would be appreciated! (Although I do understand that sometimes it is hard to put it in words, so it's OK if that is the case.)

And again, thanks all for your support! Maybe in another two months my second one will be out. :-)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

For a first song/mix, this is quite good. Would be interesting to hear something 10 songs from now :)

EDIT: But this is not your first recording at all. You actually have many years of experience. :)
Last edited by jonetsu on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

finotti wrote:
Ha! Thanks! I did grow up watching cartoons in the 80s, so I guess it just rubbed off on me. :-) At least I'm in good company: remember Brian May's "Star Fleet"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7GFU5ncKhU
I love the Starfleet Project, especially Van Halen's playing on Bluesbreaker.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Great work indeed! If this is first, wondering what it will be bit later!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

tavasti wrote:Great work indeed! If this is first, wondering what it will be bit later!
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!

If you haven't seen it, my second song is here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17080 Although I am not very happy with the mix. (It might have been a step back...) I will try to find some time to try to improve soon...