ZynJam !

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

ZynJam !

Post by jonetsu »

.. or 'Zyn Gladiator'. Of some sort.

Just (re-) discovered the Zynaddsubfx synth recently, in its new 'fusion' incarnation that enables use via VST in Bitwig. Browsing the available sounds, this improvisation came to be, which is, synth-wise, 100% Zynaddsubfx. The new interface invites sound exploring and
tweaking, so some sounds were modified, although most are stock.

The result could be some synthpop, although the middle section makes sure to dispel this notion.

ZynJam !

Cheers.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: ZynJam !

Post by tavasti »

Great track, nice sounds, and melodies / riffs works!

1) I did not like part 2:02, for me it sounds too much like angry small dog. And for mainstream popular music, that part is too much different from rest? But sure, for not-so-mainstream, different structure is ok.
2) Maybe intro-part (first 50s) is bit too long

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: ZynJam !

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks. I agree. The intro is a bit too long. It's only but a jam after all, that I put up quickly just to show off the Zynaddsubfx synthesizer that I just got at that time. It will never go beyond that. If you want to take a listen to peices which might be more probable contenders to evolve into 'real pieces', may I suggest Buta, Sunyi, Aquaterra and Jumanmai, just to name these.

As for the 'little angry voices' or some such, the idea comes from the horns and the beat which are very straightforward. much like a gladiator marching somewhere. Then those voices would be the 'little guys' making an appearance. Now, are the 'little guys' against or supporting the Gladiator ? The story does not tell ! :)

Some of the links to the other pieces are in the signature, here are the others for convenience:

Sunyi
Aquaterra
Jumanmai

There's also jam12 (and also a few others) :

jam12

I make about 100 sketches a year. I only started to take this a bit more seriously as far as recording, getting proper tools, and learning about mixing, having a Soundcloud acocunt and all that a bit more than a year ago. I used to only give numbers to the pieces, so I decided to find titles instead.