John Option - The source code of the music

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

massimobarbieri

John Option - The source code of the music

Post by massimobarbieri »

Hi!
A few months ago I started with a friend of mine a musical project that has particular similarities to the philosophy of free software. I would like to tell you about it in this post and I'd love to read your feedback.

With our band John Option we published our two singles: My monkey, You fill my soul. Of course the songs are published under the terms of the Creative Commons License (CC-BY-SA) and it's completely produced only with free software: Ardour, Hydrogen, Jack, Qsynth, CALF, and many other great free audio software that we used under a GNU/Linux system.

Here you can listen My monkey: http://youtu.be/GdsyGlPkfEg
Here you can listen You fill my soul: http://youtu.be/0hwTZgo808E

But with the project of John Option we have done a little more in the direction of freedom. As for the free software the source code is accessible for the users, we decided to do the same thing for our music. So we published the single recording tracks of the songs and the complete Ardour session. All this material is published in our official website[1] under the CC-BY-SA license so that anyone can use our tracks to produce a remix of our song or even a new song that have to be published under the same license.

You can find all about our project here: http://johnoption.org

I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is a fuel for us to continue.

Ciao,
Max-B
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: John Option - The source code of the music

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Cool music, very nice and tough mix, but I think there's too much saturation on vocals. Maybe I'll try to mix it my own way if I'll have time for that.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Good music, well produced. I like your idea of giving the source code out. There are many people interested in audio stuff who are looking for stuff to remix. They'll be happy.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

massimobarbieri

Post by massimobarbieri »

Hi!
Thanks a lot for your comments.
@Alex, if you try to remix, please let me know. I will love to listen it, and of course if you want you can publish every derivative work agree with the license CC-BY-SA.
@bluebell, I hope that there are people interested in our philosopy and I will be very happy to listen derivative works or remix of my music.
Ciao,
Max-B
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Nice to see someone else taking the concept of freedom to a full degree. I was wondering, do you consider your works to have a final state? Because I don't so I've chosen to put source files in a Git repository.
Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

Great project, I like and agree with your philosophy!
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge