I remade my first electronic song.

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dednikko
Established Member

I remade my first electronic song.

Post by dednikko »

This is probably the most "me" of all my work so far. It is a hybrid of EDM, Rock, Classical, and more.

I figured the best way to end my first album is with the beginning of my electronic music journey, which is exactly what brought me to Linux to begin with.

http://snd.sc/1cRGJas
Think like a gun.
SR
Established Member

Re: I remade my first electronic song.

Post by SR »

It's pretty cool. I like it.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

nice. I have some suggestions

-the song has a pretty vibrant structure but dynamically it's pretty flat (you can even tell this by looking at the waveform on sc). It'd help if you did things like
>manually edit velocities of your parts, esp the strings which sound rather unnatural (as a general rule, things get louder as they play higher notes). this tends to help make the composition breathe more/sound more human
>vary notelengths too (for example I was thinking the strings could have shorter note lengths in some parts like 0:43-1:05)
>automate different parameters like filter cutoff, mixer volume (again for breathing)
>it seems kind of like you have some sort of sidechain going on but it sounds a little weird. I recall reading in another thread that you were using an envelope follower instead, which could probably work too with a little more parameter tweaking. You also may want to try sidechaining everything, including the bass
>speaking of which the bass doesn't really seem to have sub content (ie 20-50hz) but that may be just my insufficient earbuds.
>you should compress everything individually too (re: dynamics)
>your drops have potential but right now they don't have as much oomph as they could. Consider filtering down/up on a drop or maybe soloing one part into the measure of the drop (i see you do this sometimes with the drums, in this case you could try to add a neat drumfill or something).

here are two very informative guides to EQ and compression:
http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thin ... q-tutorial
http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-co ... n-tutorial

those were my impressions anyway. overall nice job.
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

@SR, thank you! I hope it isn't something that is terribly easy to lump into one genre, and I'm glad you enjoy it.

@Tatch, THANK YOU. I think I knew most techniques in those articles, but have been so caught up in arrangement and sound creation that I didn't apply any of it. That was a huge help in getting my ears back in perspective. I did add quite a bit of tweaks to the tracks last night. There are still a few iffy bits, to be sure. I've added a bit of variety and depth, as well as cut down some of the stacked frequencies. I replaced the file at SC. If you listen now you will hear some proper sidechaining, a perhaps less harsh frequencies and stereo muddiness on the low end. I still need to get some more compression and final tweaks on some of the individual tracks, but I'm taking the day off =)
Think like a gun.