Tunestorm: composition with a haiku, deadline January 15th

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Nachei
Established Member

Re: Tunestorm: composition with a haiku, deadline January 15

Post by Nachei »

Hey guys, happy new year to all. I'm back and almost done with my track (you know, 'you never finish a track, you just abandon it' lol)...

@i2productions,

Awesome! Thank you for your initiative, I love the site's grey theme. Find a few of my organizational rants about it below.

@ssj71,
I just finished (or gave up) doing a better mix of my entry for the podcast deadline last year. Back in the OSMP glory days they wanted everyone to submit before sharing, such that everyone hears all the pieces for the first time when they listen to the reveal show. Do you want that or should I just post the link now?
In my view, the easiest it gets is submitting the songs here without waiting for the deadline. Yeah, we could emulate the podcast by making a 'reveal post', but I'm not sure it would work as well. Anyways, if you prefer to wait, that is also alright with me: I appreciate the thrill of it, but I think, by the moment, submitting on-the-go makes rules clearer for everybody. We can start simple and then iterate from there.

I also propose maintaining this current edition fully here, to avoid confusion. Then, in the upcoming one, maybe we could move all the stuff to the new site http://uncompete.co.nf/, and use this forum for the announcements.

It would be nice that we had the transition figured out by January 16th, so that we can start the second uncompetition right away and things gather some momentum. Here is a bit of aloud thinking about how to organize submissions to the new site:

I envision the blog with a nice post per song submitted, containing a link or better some embedded player (it would make it more visually appealing), and a bunch of paragraphs of comments by each author. Ideally, the way I see it, each author should be granted a Wordpress guest account so they can write the post by themselves. This requires some exchange of information, which maybe could be done via PM in this forum -to avoid the risks and toils of email-.

No matter the option chosen, this is a bit of work, so, even though i2productions has very generously taken the step of starting things, I propose we make this task rotary -- it's a community effort. If this is the option adopted, I offer myself to be in charge of checking and granting permissions in the upcoming edition.

My knowledge of the technological options is limited, so please tell me what you think or if you have a better idea.

Thank you all guys for your interest and your effort, it is so cool that this thing goes on! :)
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I've recently signed up for soundcloud. I think a lot of us use that and its free. We could make a group for each tunestorm then have entrants just submit their track to it. Just an option. The blog could link to that group and announce new tunestorm rules and stuff. For that matter this seems like maybe we should start a new discussion board here with a thread for each tunestorm. That might increase the chances of new entrants stumbling upon it and be a little less overhead.

Oh ya:
https://soundcloud.com/ssj71/haikustorm2

Enjoy! (And uncompete).
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

@Nachei
I haven't really touched it since I signed up for it. If you OR anyone else for that matter, would like admin status for the page, just sign up for an account, PM me here with your user name and I'll add you to the admin list. If you've never used WordPress before it's mad easy to pick up and run with. I have some great ideas for it, just haven't had a lot of time to get it up and running. Barely had time to get a start on this months submission. I have the rough concept tracked, but still haven't selected a haiku to go over it, but I'll get it in before the deadline. I also have some good ideas for next months competition. Since another entity was the one that titled it Tunestorm, I don't think we should use this as a title after this month, but obviously keep the title of Uncompetition. Just my 2 cents, but seriously anyone that would like to get our future home looking and feeling nice, please let me know!
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Hey guys,

first thing first, the goodies:

http://alonetone.com/nachei/tracks/scar ... he-hillock

It's made with the glorious PupStudio 3.3., a flavor of Puppy Linux optimized for musicians, using Ardour 2, ZynaddSubFx, Hydrogen.

Gear: Compaq CQ50 laptop (2Ghz), Peavey Predator electric guitar, and the Samson G-Track, a USB microphone with a little mixer built in that allows recording voice and guitar at the same time, -a feature I don't usually use, because of the bleeding-.

@ssj71,

Very cool song. I love those 4 note chords. For the effects in the first part, if I'm not wrong, you are using a LFO and a harmonic generator, maybe? The second part has a very funky vibe, I like a lot the bass line, and also the way you deliver the melody. I assume the lyrics have haiku structure, I still haven't caught all of them :)

Re: mechanics of the uncompetition...

+1 vote for the Soundcloud idea. After writing down my ideas here, it occurred to me that it would be nice that the list of songs could be played in a row -just pressing play once and there you go, with the option of gathering more information about this or that track whenever you find them interesting. A Soundcloud group would allow that, and submission would be easy. In fact, FalTx mentioned that there is already a Soundcloud group created. I haven't checked it, maybe we could use it? Or is it better to make a brand new start?

Speaking of brands, the same goes about the name of the new uncompetition. I2productions proposes ditching Tunestorm. I like the word Tunestorm, and my first thought was also using it as a homage to the OSMP... but maybe it is a bit of boy scout-ish thinking, and it is better to start a new 'product' from scratch, maintaining, agreed, the fundamental concept of un-competition. Personally, I would have a hard time finding something as catchy as Tunestorm, but maybe you already have some ideas, or we can always make a call to the collective intelligence and find a bunch of great new options, can't we? So I'm fine with both options, but I don't think I could provide an alternative name.

I also propose to reserve this thread from now on for music submissions only, and open a new one to discuss these organizational issues (for example all those ideas for future editions you mention, i2productions).
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

if I'm not wrong, you are using a LFO and a harmonic generator, maybe?
Thanks for the compliments. Its been nearly a year, but IIRC I made a custom patch in yoshimi with the pad synth. Kind of just tweaked till I had the sound I liked. I'm still not positive on how to use the pad synth :). The lyrics might not be EXACTLY Haiku. I realized later that I count "trapped" as 2 syllables. Is it? :/
Speaking of brands, the same goes about the name of the new uncompetition. I2productions proposes ditching Tunestorm. I like the word Tunestorm, and my first thought was also using it as a homage to the OSMP... but maybe it is a bit of boy scout-ish thinking, and it is better to start a new 'product' from scratch, maintaining, agreed, the fundamental concept of un-competition. Personally, I would have a hard time finding something as catchy as Tunestorm, but maybe you already have some ideas, or we can always make a call to the collective intelligence and find a bunch of great new options, can't we? So I'm fine with both options, but I don't think I could provide an alternative name.
I just IRC'd Pipemanmusic, the podcast creator and host. He would love for us to keep the Tunestorm title. I really like it too. Its like a brainstorm but with music. I think its a little less awkward sounding than un-competition. Also the term was originated by Unix Hag who is now deceased, so it would be homage to a former member of the community. Of course we should all come to a consensus.
In fact, FalTx mentioned that there is already a Soundcloud group created. I haven't checked it, maybe we could use it? Or is it better to make a brand new start?
I think it makes sense to make a group for each tunestorm so that the entries all stay organized. That way people can add late entries but they still fit in the right results. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of groups you can make.

*edit I just looked at it and unless someone has the mega-pro-sudo soundcloud account you are limited to the number of groups you can make. Perhaps the best thing is to make a compilation so that all entries can be heard together. I dunno.
I also propose to reserve this thread from now on for music submissions only, and open a new one to discuss these organizational issues (for example all those ideas for future editions you mention, i2productions).
Sounds good but I don't know where else to post. I still think we ought to make a new board for tunestorms with one thread for each competition, the top post being the announcement and details and discussion and submissions can follow. It makes the most organizational sense to me. I'm not sure how to contact an admin to discuss it.
*edit making a thread in the suggestion box.*
_ssj71

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Hey SSJ71,

I like a lot the way you've figured things out.
Re: name. +1 for keeping Tunestorm. I love knowing that we have Pipeman's blessings, and the origin with Unix Hag, mentioned in the podcast but which I had forgotten, is an additional bonus.

Re: Soundcloud. Thank you also for making clear the features of that service. I was looking forward to become a member but haven't done it yet. I also agree with your idea of making a 'compilation', the way I imagine it is just putting one-file-after-another via Audacity/Ardour and then uploading it. It takes a second, and such idea would allow the continuity of listening (and as bonus, it is gorgeously close to having a new podcast... )

I'd also like to apologize for what, on second thought, was maybe an excess of human, too human enthusiasm of my part. My idea of having things figured out to start the second edition right away in January 16th was way too premature. First we have to see if the whole initiative has quorum. 3 songs have been submitted so far. I'd set a minimum of at least 5 by Tuesday 15th to consider that the initiative raises enough interest to be continued. I don't know if you'll agree, but I think other considerations before that point is proven are just wishful fantasies.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I'd also like to apologize for what, on second thought, was maybe an excess of human, too human enthusiasm of my part. My idea of having things figured out to start the second edition right away in January 16th was way too premature. First we have to see if the whole initiative has quorum. 3 songs have been submitted so far. I'd set a minimum of at least 5 by Tuesday 15th to consider that the initiative raises enough interest to be continued. I don't know if you'll agree, but I think other considerations before that point is proven are just wishful fantasies.
The only reason I was able to submit was because I'd already recorded it for the previous deadline in 2012. It always takes me nearly a month to find time to record and finish a song. Enthusiasm is good, so no need to apologize, but I do think we need more exposure. Perhaps if everyone reading this thread (who agrees) could go give a vote on my comment in the suggestions forum then maybe the admins will give us a tunestorm forum and we can get more exposure and more interest. These things do take time of course, so maybe we can extend the deadline this time.

Anyone else planning on making a submission?
_ssj71

Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

sorry, if this is a dumb question but:

The song has to use a haiku? which is a japanese form of rhyme?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

yup. that simple! I know it's down to the wire, and I'm still really starting my song from scratch again today. I'll have something by tommorow, but it may not be as pretty as I'd like it!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

The song has to use a haiku? which is a japanese form of rhyme?
Ya. Just the lines need to have the form

Code: Select all

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables
you can use one if its appropriately licenced, or write your own. The whole point is to be creative.

I think I'm going to try to make a podcast out of all the submissions. I'll send it to PipeMan and he can publish it as another episode. I won't get around to it for a few days at least, so if you want to submit late, feel free to post the link! (Though you run the risk of being too late and not being in the show). i2productions, I look forward to your submission.

Also Holstein (a sometimes-co-host on the OSM podcast) made a submission:
http://holstein.bandcamp.com/track/haiku
_ssj71

i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Looks like I made it in under the wire. Not too bad for a few hours work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84658052/Akavir ... mpete).mp3

Ardour3,bass(w/guitarix processing),3 instances of Yoshimi,My own personally sampled Hydrogen drum kit(w/calf reverb), my stupid voice(with tap pitch shifter). Mastered with Jamin. (Total work time 6 hours with breaks, Ardour3 crashed once during that time[as I'm pressing CTL+S..lol] and booted right back up and kept right on a chuggin!)
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

@SSJ71,

Thank you for your offering to make a podcast out of this stuff, it will be fun! :)
These things do take time of course, so maybe we can extend the deadline this time.
Cool with me. More submissions. What would be a good new deadline? At random I'd say one more month, i.e. February 15th? It overlays with the RPM Challenge, if someone is going to participate, but the good thing is that one uncompetition can 'embed' the other: you can include in your RPM album a song that contains a haiku LOL.
Perhaps if everyone reading this thread (who agrees) could go give a vote on my comment in the suggestions forum then maybe the admins will give us a tunestorm forum and we can get more exposure and more interest.
'Giving a vote' means just posting at that thread saying one agrees, or maybe you mean some kind of 'thumbs up' option in this forum that I don't know of? I wanted to make sure I get it before doing anything about this.

@i2productions,

thank you for your Akavir-Haiku (I don't know what it means, but the word sounds nice). I have the riff in my head as I write these lines, and I thought it was very funny. I will comment further in another post, due to time constraints :), and the same goes for Holstein's piece (what a nice addition). Thank you all guys.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Akavir is my stage name, title is Haiku. Just thought I'd clear that up.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

At random I'd say one more month, i.e. February 15th?
I was thinking more like just a few days. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put it off, but I'm going to try to make the podcast this week. I can append someones work too as long as its soon.
'Giving a vote' means just posting at that thread saying one agrees, or maybe you mean some kind of 'thumbs up' option in this forum that I don't know of? I wanted to make sure I get it before doing anything about this.
yes I just meant go reply saying "yes I want that too" to show that there is at least some interest. If you have more reasons why there should be one above what I said add your arguments.
_ssj71

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

go reply saying "yes I want that too"
Done. Here is a link to the petition thread if someone else want to show adhesion: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 205#p36205

I've already PM'd you my song's wav, too. Thank you very much, it'll be cool to have that one podcast... :)

Now I want to generate a couple of paragraphs about the songs, in case someone care, you know opinion is like a*s, everybody has one :)

I2productions,

I agree, it is impressive getting so much done in so little time. The piece is interesting and nice to hear. I find a certain 'roughness' in the keyboard tracks, whose cause I don't know for sure: choice of the instrument? Maybe because the song does not have 'glue reverb'?

As a Hydrogen user, I envy your battery samplings: the instrument sounds really good, although for my taste maybe a bit too loud in the mix - or is it just the aforementioned lack of reverb?

I also like the choice of effect in the voice phrasing. Very funny, and the choice of the lyrics, talking about 'the beginning of time' results appropriately 'ethereal and metaphysical'. Maybe it is a bad moment to ask you to continue the song (I know I'm fed up with mine right now, and need it out of my sight for a long time), but if you ever decide to give it further development, please share it in these forums at some point :).

Regarding Holstein's contribution, so different, I have to say that I don't usually listen to that kind of music, so it took me a couple of listenings to 'enter'. In the first listening, I thought that the emphasis was mostly on sound quality and performance, both very good in my view, but that the song was kind of an impro. In further listening, however, I've realized that composition is in fact also very deliberate; I like the way in which the song kind of has a landscape of other 'zipped' instruments inside: during the intro, you imagine keyboards, and there are sections where the riffs make you think of guitars. The mind kind of completes the picture, like in those Zen pictures where a couple of lines are used to suggest a whole passage of nature, so it certainly conveys a 'haiku' feeling. All delivered with that serene, beautiful sound. Very nice.