Insomnilund, my first album!

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zth
Established Member

Insomnilund, my first album!

Post by zth »

Hello!

I just wanted to show a little project I just finished; I call it Insomnilund, and it's a 8-track "album" made completely in Linux. It's all instrumentals, some simply acoustic and some hiphop-beat influenced tracks basically.
I used KXStudio distro, and Ardour3 svn as a DAW. I would be honored if you gave it a listen!

It's available through a number of sources and in a number of formats, I made a collective page for all of it on http://www.ironink.se/music.htm where links to both archives in various formats, and links to soundcloud+bandcamp, can be found!

Thank you for your time, and I would love any feedback anyone got, for the future!
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Insomnilund, my first album!

Post by Pablo »

Great!
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Hey dude! That kicks some serious ass ! 8)

Breeze is good but quiet... too quiet... is it going to be a boring album ?
Search and Repair the answer is no ! Nice voices introduction, reversed instrument and a break that breaks the ice !
The Last Time a bit too much alike previous track but still a nice evolution.
9 Lives time for an acoustic break but with a catchy riff and some perfectly dosed effects.
Who Stole My Stuff Yeah yeah that rocks ! Catchy breaks and riffs + some nice fx. Maybe the best track ! Dj Shadow couldn't do better !
Simply Let Go Time for a break after the "Who Stole My Stuff" monster track. Something feels unfinished in this one, don't know what or why.
G.B.C Back for good. Some dark electro goodness ! The intro is a killer. It nicely evolves to an almost movie soundtrack like kind of thing.
Flow Birds ? Really ? Well, OK let's go for a nice balad for a peaceful outro.

Very nice job ! I like the combination of quiet and more punchy tracks and the constant blur between high quality sounds and a lo-fi input that gives some kind of soul to the whole thing.
I'm curious to know how you balanced between Ardour and OpenOctave. Is it a combination of each on each track or a track by track approach ?
I bet you spent some hours on this... I think it was worth it ! Keep up.
| DoosC |
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

DoosC: Thank you so much for that :D Very nice list and feedback for my future! Especially the part about Dj Shadow, I'm still blushing over here :D
About OpenOctave and Ardour: What I usually do/what I did was start sequencing drums/add the first layers/fundament of the track inside Ardour3. I then usually went on and exported that to a .wav, put that in OpenOctave and composed strings to the song. Then I exported the strings and put them inside Ardour3 again for mixing etc, and just kept on going until I felt done with the song.

I indeed did spend alot of hours on this, but yeah, I feel it was worth it, especially personally to myself. Ment very much to me to actually finish something and put it up for people to hear!

Thanks again!