The Silver Walks

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

The Silver Walks

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

Synth tests again, maybe something enjoyable here.

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/the-silver-walks

Comments welcome as always.

Best,

dp
briandc
Established Member

Re: The Silver Walks

Post by briandc »

I liked the whole piece. I liked the emotion in the first section, and the variations on the resolutions.
The final part has a very nice lead, and there's something in the sequenced voice that I really liked.
Personally, I think it merits a whole webpage of descriptions, pictures, colors.. much more than what Soundcloud has to offer in terms of page design.

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Very cool. I dig the way you put the sections together (both in this one and some of your others I've heard). Did you compose it as one piece?
listenable at c6a7.org
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

ufug wrote:Very cool. I dig the way you put the sections together (both in this one and some of your others I've heard). Did you compose it as one piece?
It's two different projects that ended up liking each other. Sometimes that happens around here.

Thanks for lending your ears ! :)

Best,

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

briandc wrote:I liked the whole piece. I liked the emotion in the first section, and the variations on the resolutions.
Thanks, Brian. Diva does inspire me. :)
The final part has a very nice lead, and there's something in the sequenced voice that I really liked.
That lead is played by two instances of discoDSP's Discovery Pro. With those beasts and the half-dozen synths from u-he - and even more from TAL and Redux - I think that part put my machine through some strenuous cycles.
Personally, I think it merits a whole webpage of descriptions, pictures, colors.. much more than what Soundcloud has to offer in terms of page design.
Well, now that SC has decided to blow off Groups they've given me reason to downgrade my subscription. The Groups worked well for a lot of niche and non-mainstream production - Csound, SuperCollider, RtCmix, etc - and I considered them an inducement towards my current sub. So maybe my stuff will end up where it can have a better presentation. Any suggestions ?

Best,

dp
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I haven't really explored any inroads, although an option might be something like Jamendo.
Personally, I think there's nothing quite like having one's own website, where you can do what you want, when you want, the way you want. Getting traffic is not as easy perhaps.. I guess it depends on who you want to reach. And, a website could be a place where a group could meet up with ideas to share... ?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

very much enjoyed that (as I said elsewhere).

It's interesting you say it started out as two separate entities that 'got to know each other'. I've had this happen on quite a few occasions. Indeed I maintain a dating service for them. I call it my 'Musical Bits Box' :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

davephillips wrote: Well, now that SC has decided to blow off Groups they've given me reason to downgrade my subscription.
That's news to me! I'm subbed to several groups, and they all seem to still be there.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

folderol wrote:It's interesting you say it started out as two separate entities that 'got to know each other'. I've had this happen on quite a few occasions. Indeed I maintain a dating service for them. I call it my 'Musical Bits Box' :lol:
I like it. Hmm, perhaps we could code up a "musical match-maker" app for lonely lobes of composition looking for musical soul-mates to hook up into possibly complete works ? :)

Thanks for checking out the track, Will. Best regards,

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

folderol wrote:
davephillips wrote: Well, now that SC has decided to blow off Groups they've given me reason to downgrade my subscription.
That's news to me! I'm subbed to several groups, and they all seem to still be there.
From a message received yesterday morning :
We’re constantly looking for ways to make it easier for you to share your work and connect with new fans. As well as adding new features and updates, we review existing features to see if they’re still beneficial to you.

As we dug into the best ways for creators to connect with fans, we found that Groups aren't helping creators find an audience as well as reposts, curated playlists, or track recommendations.

With that in mind, we’ve decided to phase out Groups on Monday, August 22nd to make room for future updates. Until then, you can collect, like or repost the tracks you would like to save, and connect with your fellow Group members.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on how we can continue to improve your experience on SoundCloud. Send your ideas and feedback by replying directly to this email.
So they'll keep the Groups until August 22.

Best,

dp
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Damn!
Personally I find reposts just about the most annoying thing going :(

Odd that I've not had this notification.

P.S.
I've also found their recommendations quite hopeless too.