Laptop audio/video 2 AvReceiver wifi/blutooth?

Beyond just audio!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

Laptop audio/video 2 AvReceiver wifi/blutooth?

Post by fretski »

During the day I do my music studying on my Asus-g73 laptop by the big TV and speaker set. I can connect the laptop HDMI to the amp but getting the Audacity guitar recording/monitoring output into the HDMI is a ROYAL PITA.

Ergo, I'm thinking of wireless but don't even know where to begin????

I don't think my Pioneer-vsx1019vh amp has blutooth or wifi of any sort, so I might have to buy some add-on hardware, maybe including the wifi router in the loop or just with transceivers.

Any suggestions?
Jaaxx
Established Member

Re: Laptop audio/video 2 AvReceiver wifi/blutooth?

Post by Jaaxx »

You will likely not be happy with the latency from any type of bluetooth/wireless adapter you might cobble together.

I'm not sure why you are having problems routing audio through the HDMI connection, but why not use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from your headphone jack to an input on the Pioneer?
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Jaaxx wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm You will likely not be happy with the latency from any type of bluetooth/wireless adapter you might cobble together.

I'm not sure why you are having problems routing audio through the HDMI connection, but why not use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from your headphone jack to an input on the Pioneer?
{I can't log in with my old (fretski) id}

The idea of HDMI was to minimize wiring, I would have expected it to carry the entire laptop to the big screen through the AvAmp. For example I can play a jam-track video in VLC on the laptop and at the same time monitor Audacity recording but the two will never go out via HDMI together, I don't think the OS (suse Linux or any other) is ready for that. Another MAJOR problem with every laptop I've had so far is the absolutely CRAP quality of the 1/8" laptop jacks (it's actually preventing me from buying another laptop). Meanwhile I'm recovering from triple-A surgery and guitar sessions have dropped to nil anyway for the summer due to other chores, I'll look for alternatives in the fall. If wifi has latency then that's out, needless to say, thanks for bringing it up.
Jaaxx
Established Member

Post by Jaaxx »

In the meantime, I would keep trying with methods to use the HDMI out. Also keep your eye open on Amazon Warehouse for a USB Sound Card if you're not happy with your laptop 1/8 port. You're really going to want a hard wired connection of some sort for your guitar signal.

My immediate solution would be to go ahead and use the headphone port and watch the video on your laptop screen. The HDMI should be possible as well, but will require a little research configuring Pulseaudio/ALSA/Jack.
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Jaaxx wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:48 pm In the meantime, I would keep trying with methods to use the HDMI out. Also keep your eye open on Amazon Warehouse for a USB Sound Card if you're not happy with your laptop 1/8 port. You're really going to want a hard wired connection of some sort for your guitar signal.

My immediate solution would be to go ahead and use the headphone port and watch the video on your laptop screen. The HDMI should be possible as well, but will require a little research configuring Pulseaudio/ALSA/Jack.
The reason I wanted to get guitar output from the laptop out through Audacity-Recording was that it was the only way I would get rid of latency and HORRIBlE (1/8" jacks) audio quality by using Jack.

I want to be able to practice with speakers OR with headphones. As far as speakers I got it solved: the guitar goes into the guitar amp and the jam-video goes via VLC on the laptop and HDMI to the AvAmp/TV. I need the big-screen TV because my jam-videos include a LOT of visual data like moving sheet music, etc. I need the AvAmp because the guitar amp sounds like shit in the case of anything other than guitar.

If I want to go headphones I need to bring the 2 headphone outputs into one, but one is stereo the other is mono. The only time I tried this with a Y it ended up not working too good.
Jaaxx
Established Member

Post by Jaaxx »

I guess I'm really, really not getting what you're trying to do then. Because every scenario I can think of is fairly straightforward.
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Jaaxx wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:08 am I guess I'm really, really not getting what you're trying to do then. Because every scenario I can think of is fairly straightforward.
That's partly my fault, the above is the basic objective, wireless IF possible. The wireless just didn't work out so I dumped it completely (not at all interested in spending hours on setup and minutes on music, but rather the other way around).