For jam-track makers

Beyond just audio!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

merlyn
Established Member

Re: For jam-track makers

Post by merlyn »

Fmajor7add9 wrote:So what I'm playing all-the-time in DADGAD and call m11 is then a m7add11?
No it's a minor 11th as you thought. You can play the 3rd and 4th (11th) in a minor chord. R b3 5 b7 9 11.

'add' to me means 'skip over the chord tones in between'. So the chord in your username I would call Fmaj9. You don't need the 'add' because it has all the chord tones up to and including its name -- R 3 5 7 9

Fadd9 is R 3 5 9 and add9 chords are the sound of Every Breath You Take or Message In A Bottle by the Police. Contrast this with a dominant 9th R 3 5 b7 9 which is the sound of a James Brown vamp. :)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

my splendid harmonius artist name
my carefully nurtured avatar presence
my whole brand, really
completely shattered by stone cold reason and so called 'theory'

should've just been a power chord to begin with
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Given that no-one (well, a vanishingly small minority) is actually going to play your username I think you can keep it. :lol:
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

fretski wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:37 pm I've been tinkering with ideas, reference the learning/practicing of guitar chords. I really dig some of the jam-tracks i find on the net but would like to see a more effortless approach, effortless on the client side, not the creation side :D :D :D

https://tinyurl.com/y2saqhb6
I have no idea what was there, and have to say from reading this thread cannot understand what is point.

* If your problem is that you can't serve video files because of disk space / network band with limitations, how about uploading to youtube or some other public video service?
* if problem is some copyright problems with commercial stuff, what about making demo with some CC stuff, so that you can freely share it.

In this form this is annoying.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:20 am pop quiz :), two song progressions that tricks the diatonic expecting ear:
EbM7add9 - Gm11 Dm11 - Fm7 - AbM7/Bb
Bm7 - CM7 - Dm7 - CM7
CM7 = major seven (C E G B)
Cm7 = minor seven (C Eb G Bb)
First one is from Shanice - I Love Your Smile

Second is Prince - Money Don't Matter 2 Night
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

tavasti wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:12 pm
fretski wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:37 pm I've been tinkering with ideas, reference the learning/practicing of guitar chords. I really dig some of the jam-tracks i find on the net but would like to see a more effortless approach, effortless on the client side, not the creation side :D :D :D

https://tinyurl.com/y2saqhb6
I have no idea what was there
{/quote]

it was a youtube jam-video as edited by myself for my own use to serve as example for anyone interested in improved-service jam-videos.
and have to say from reading this thread cannot understand what is point.
The point (of the thread if that's what you mean) is MY point i.e. that I want and expect much more from jam videos than a picture with a musical track. At that level one might as well just stick with mps'3. I don't have the competence to make the musical content of jam-tracks but the rest should be like a dynamic cheatsheet. So I improve existing jam-videos for my own use by adding static and dynamic graphic content, added-value so to speak.
* If your problem is that you can't serve video files because of disk space / network band with limitations, how about uploading to youtube or some other public video service?
Youtube used to be OK and I do have an account but they in their wisdom kinda lost me when they decided to make video removal impossible. Now the video you want removed just goes invisible, not my cup of tea, nor do I want to dilute my video set there which is not just about music.
* if problem is some copyright problems with commercial stuff, what about making demo with some CC stuff, so that you can freely share it.

In this form this is annoying.
What's CC? I understand that a dead link can be annoying, my apologies. Actually for this kind of narrow-interest and essentially learning or training material about jam-videos (rather than those videos themselves), the best place for them would be on the forum hosting server but there, depending on the forum, usually total denial or very limited space is the rule.

The problem isn't so much the copyright, Nick Neblo's tracks I think are very liberally handled, the main problem is that my web server has limited space and even if it had unlimited space I would not want to spend eons trying to maintain thousands of files so there again there would be a countdown, maybe not as short as just a couple of days.
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

CC is probably https://creativecommons.org in this case

and it would be helpful not put your reply to quote inside the quote [brackets] :roll:
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 am CC is probably https://creativecommons.org in this case

and it would be helpful not put your reply to quote inside the quote [brackets] :roll:
10-4 on the CC, I know what Creative Commons is

Noted about the quotes, so how do I reply to itemized quotes as one would do on usenet? Just touching a web forum makes my blood boil :evil:

Tavasti: here's a really destroyed quality short video of the topic in general. It's small enough so I'll likely leave it up there at least for months to come, part of the ideas came for here, form merlyn I think

https://tinyurl.com/3cus5br6
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

D-Tuned wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 am how do I reply to itemized quotes as one would do on usenet? Just touching a web forum makes my blood boil :evil:
It looks like you did it correctly but had a typo where you had "{/quote]" instead of "[/quote]"
VirginiaGorman
Established Member

Post by VirginiaGorman »

Its amazing!
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

VirginiaGorman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:45 am Its amazing!
I hope you mean that, seeing that just home from Triple-A surgery
half of which was a horror-show I'm not at my bushiest bright :lol:
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

D-Tuned wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 am Tavasti: here's a really destroyed quality short video of the topic in general. It's small enough so I'll likely leave it up there at least for months to come, part of the ideas came for here, form merlyn I think

https://tinyurl.com/3cus5br6
That looks like great idea!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

I made two jamming videos earlier with moving chord displays
and have just managed to incorporate my own chord diagrams
into a Sonic-Visualiser output window. Earlier links were temporary
but now they're up on the tube for anyone wanting to try something
along these lines (I'll be happy to help out, some).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cERqVg5CgO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4niBH1Zxk

The one drawback of all jam-tracks is the lack of predictability
providing for chord anticipation. Both of these methods solve
that problem. The sonic vis one is real easy but the chords
have to sound 'distinct' or SV will misfigure them and placard with
all the wrong labels (which custom diagrams can nonetheless
cover).

I shudda put this into the "how2" forum but now it is where it is

There won't be any sound until I figure out a seamless way to
honor rights holders while limiting my publishing to CC-BY.
Dominique
Established Member

Post by Dominique »

A nice and useful exercise I made with chords is to play them in reverse quinte succession. In many musical style, maybe all, you will find progressions like V-I, II-V-I, VI-II-V-I, and so on. If you begin with the IV, it will give you: IV-VII-III-VI-II-V-I

You can harmonize it and play, as example in A-:
|:D- |G76 |Cmajor7 |Fmajor7 |B half diminished | E7b9 |A- |A- : |

I am a lazy bastard and I like these kind of exercise, that because it is an exercise and it sound as a song.

Also the best exercise I found for guitar practice are the one at the beginning of Juan Serrano - Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques.
It's flamenco for beginners and that's the best guitar technique I now, that because mediator picking learn us to push and pull strings in rhythm with one piece of plastic, classical picking technique learn us to pull the strings in rhythm with the 5 fingers, and flamenco picking technique is superior because it learn us to push and pull the strings in rhythm with the 5 fingers.

You must begun very slowly to be in rhythm, and accelerate as soon as you can. The most important is to be in rhythm, even when you miss a note, just continue in rhythm. Also, whatever picking technique you choose, it is a very good habit to play the rhythmic of all your song in arpegio (just play the chords in arpegio) with that picking technique, that because with time, it will naturally help you for both solo and rhythmic playing.

Maybe the most important for me: try to play everything in rhythm, no matter what rhythm you choose or can. That way, you will exercise the rhythm with all the other exercises. Again, I am a lazy bastard and if I can exercise several things with 1 exercise instead of 2 or 3 or 5, I will always choose to do it with 1.