SOUL

SuperCollider, Pure Data, ChucK, CSound, Nyquist, Overtone, TidalCycles, Bipscript, oh my

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

SOUL

Post by Basslint »

Try in browser: https://soul.dev/playgrounds
Repository: https://github.com/soul-lang/SOUL
License: ISC (with EULA)

SOUL is a new audio programming language which focuses on performance. It seems to be developed by Julian Storer (author of Tracktion and JUCE) and Cesare Ferrari. It looks similar to shading languages like GLSL, and imperative rather than functional like FAUST or SuperCollider.

Has anybody tried it? I find it nice but I think the EULA might make it nonfree.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
d.healey
Established Member

Re: SOUL

Post by d.healey »

ISC is essentially the same as MIT so it should be free, I haven't read through the EULA yet though.

There are some other threads here about soul you might find.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

d.healey wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:44 pm ISC is essentially the same as MIT so it should be free, I haven't read through the EULA yet though.

There are some other threads here about soul you might find.
I know about the ISC license, it's the one used by LV2. That EULA though is full of legalese that might actually restrict some freedoms granted by the ISC license.

I wanted to inaugurate this board by the way, and since SOUL entered 1.0 a few days ago I thought it was the right occasion to make a thread about it :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

There EULA is confusing.
1.2. All of the Code, including the two JUCE modules, soul_core and soul_patch_loader, and the soul_patch API is governed by the permissive ISC License.
If this is true then most of their other EULA terms/restrictions are incompatible.

I've asked on the github page for clarity.

Edit: Never mind, I reread the EULA. I misunderstood an important part. The Code (source code) is licensed under the ISC, the Program (binaries) are restricted by the EULA. So the source is free software, the binaries are not.
David Healey
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

d.healey wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:45 pm Edit: Never mind, I reread the EULA. I misunderstood an important part. The Code (source code) is licensed under the ISC, the Program (binaries) are restricted by the EULA.
My main doubt is this: the EULA says "BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING OR USING THE SOUL SOFTWARE". Doesn't that also apply to the source code? So by downloading SOUL I am accepting, for example

Code: Select all

1.4 You may not create Applications directed toward Children, unless you fully comply with the COPPA rules, including without limitation obtaining verifiable parental consent, as further described in clause 10 below. You are responsible for any liabilities arising out of a violation of COPPA.
While I understand the intent, doesn't this violate the four freedoms?

And you are right, this would apply to JUCE as well.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Basslint wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm Doesn't that also apply to the source code? .
No, that's what I thought as well, but if you re-read the first paragraph you'll see a distinction is made between source code and binaries.
For the purposes of this Agreement, all SOUL code shall be described as the “Code” and binary executable and library files shall be described as the “Program” and the Code and Program may be described as the “Software.”
And then clause 1.2 that I posted above specifically says the Code is governed by the ISC License
David Healey