Where to start with absolute basics?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

blockflute
Established Member

Where to start with absolute basics?

Post by blockflute »

I'm interested in learning more about the whole business of music production (on linux, as that is what I use), but I know so little I don't even know where to begin.

I play a couple of woodwind instruments. I use LilyPond (sometimes with Frescobaldi) to occasionally edit/transpose scores. Thanks to the helpfulness of some kind members of this forum, I have Ardour/Jack running on my Debian box, and have been able to do some recording of myself and created mixed tracks using guitar backing from my brother (who lives in a different country). This is all great, but there is obviously a lot more one can do; my problem is that I barely even know what the so much more is, let alone find out how to do it.

I have some scores, for example, that have piano parts. It would be great to have some way of playing them via computer, and I think this can probably be done, but I don't know where to start. Midi I presume, but I know very little about it besides, more or less, what it is.

I've had a quick look at books to see if there is anything along the lines of "digital music for dummies" or similar, but haven't seen anything obvious, plus a lot of books are quite old. I've also tried some online material, but a lot of it isn't much more than product reviews with seller links, and much of the rest is too specialized to be a good introduction. I've had a look at howto/tips/tricks board on this forum but mostly the material there is in the too-specialized-for-me zone.

If anyone can recommend a good place to start, either printed or online, I would be most grateful. I don't think anything could be too simple!
d.healey
Established Member

Re: Where to start with absolute basics?

Post by d.healey »

Get yourself a copy of Musescore - https://musescore.org/en
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

blockflute wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:56 am If anyone can recommend a good place to start, either printed or online, I would be most grateful. I don't think anything could be too simple!
I would suggest to watch @unfa 's YT channel.

Since you are already using Ardour, a good staring point would be watching this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... EO-7tBsBsI

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

blockflute wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:56 am[...]
I have some scores, for example, that have piano parts. It would be great to have some way of playing them via computer,[...] Midi I presume [...]
I think that what you need is a good (Linux) VST for a Grand Piano and a Midi keyboard. You can buy a Midi keyboard second hand or at any (on line) music store. Depends on how good you can play if you want to buy an expensive one with many octaves or a mini version for just the basic stuff. I can't play if my life depended on it so I'm afraid I don't know which is a good free or paid piano VST. Let alone a Linux native piano VST. I only mess with hardware synths and VST synths. ;)

There's Midi in general and there's Midi on Linux (or Windows, or Android, or Apple, etc.). I don't know of a book about it. Not do I know of a (good) website or Youtube video.

It can be very simple though. Midi was invented in the early eighties for electronic instruments (read: synths and drum computers) to be connected to each-other. Before that only electronic instruments from the same manufacturer could be connected to each-other. Instruments that have a 5-pin DIN Midi connector can exchange info like: note on, note off, tempo (in BPM), etc. There is midi-out for sending e.g. note on and midi-in for receiving info like note-on.

Those were the days. You didn't have to know how it worked, you just connected a 5-pin DIN cable from IN to OUT on the the two machines.

Then came computers (read: the almighty Atari ST). They are digital, just like Midi. Computers could send midi info to a synth or drum computer (again: via 5-pin DIN cables) and therefore a computer could play/operate your electronic instrument. You didn't have to learn how to play, you let your Atari ST do that for you.

Later on USB cables replaced the 5-pin DIN cables. And there had to be "cables" that can convert between 5-pin DIN and USB (example Aliexpress, only 5 USD incl. shipping).

In my opinion that's all you need to know about Midi. But how does one "do Midi" on a computer? I can only tell how I do it. Let's assume that I want to play a VST of a Minimoog (a classic synth) with my hardware midi keyboard.

I use qjackctl for Midi connections on Linux. You say that you've got Jack activated, I presume that you use qjackctl too. First I connect the Midi keyboard to my computer with the Aliexpress cable. See photo below:

Then I look if it shows up in qjackctl as a device that can output a signal. I know it is cryptically called "CH345". See picture below. Yep. It can. The Aliexpress dongle can even be used for input.

I start my DAW (Qtractor, you use Ardour). In the screenshot above you see that it shows up as a device that can receive Midi input (it can also send output). I use the mouse to connect the Midi keyboard Midi OUT to Qtractor's MIDI IN. After that, in Qtractor, I create a Midi track and choose my favourite VST (i.e. the Minimoog) as a plugin for this Midi track. Then I press "play + record" to make a recording. I play the Midi keyboard and then I hear the Minimoog. I can see in the DAW (i.e. Qtractor) my played notes appear in the "piano roll".

The Midi track that I just recorded has only note information (no info about the Minimoog or any VST). That is: I can use it to play any instrument. It doesn't have to be the Minimoog. As a matter of fact I didn't even have to use a Midikeyboard to make a Midi track. I could have used the 'piano roll' and the mouse to input notes.

There are a lot of ways to "do Midi" and to connect a Midi keyboard to a VST. But this is the way I do it. You use Ardour so i'll be different, but I think the principle will be the same.