audio routing from 1 player to 2 hardware output and 1 software input simultaneously ( manjaro KDE)

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

millodrums
Established Member

audio routing from 1 player to 2 hardware output and 1 software input simultaneously ( manjaro KDE)

Post by millodrums »

Hii, I am relatively new in jack audio.
I have jack interactive clients: qjackctl , carla and cadence installed.
Jackd was running fine. I can control audio in and out in qjackctl without problem. but it is bridging between jack, pulseaudio.
My goal is : able to control audio routing from player (vlc, smplayer) to system speaker, usb multimedia headphone speaker and jitsi meet on chrome session all 3 simultaneously. Best if i can with a shortcut or keyboard button turn on/ off each of them.. just like what i can do in voicemeeter banana.

Currently I have these issues:
1. I don't understand why qjackctl- graph only have 1 system duplex capture and 1 system duplex playback. I have hardware audio capture devices and 2 playback devices , why it does not show each devices so that user can route as wish ?
It still need to utilize pulseaudio to switch between hardware (as it in qjackctl there is only 1 duplex system capture and 1 playback).

what you guys used to switch on/off of an audio route path ?
Is there any plugin to control all these audio (pan left pan right, audio on/ off) ...etc.

Thx.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: audio routing from 1 player to 2 hardware output and 1 software input simultaneously ( manjaro KDE)

Post by sysrqer »

I think Jack can only use one output device at a time so you will only see the one that was set in qjackctl's preferences. I think pipewire would be much easier for you in this scenario, it allows you to use all available cards at once (and gives them appropriate names rather than 'system'). With pipewire's qjackctl's equivalent, qpwgraph I think you would be able to see all of the sources and route between them rather than only seeing one block of 'pulseaudio'.

I'm not sure about the shortcut keys to switch on/off routes, possibly carla could if you had a simple volume plugin which cuts the sound, you could then assign a key or midi controller to mute or enable a route.

If you continue with Jack then there are mixers, like jack mixer and non-mixer, where you could control panning and volume, as well as possibly assigning keys to mutes etc. I just had a look in jack mixer and each channel can be controlled by midi so you could use something to convert qwerty keys to midi messages. Midizap might be useful if you want to look into this approach.