USB Turntables and recording

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kyle_1974
Established Member

USB Turntables and recording

Post by kyle_1974 »

Hi

So I have another little problem…

I’ve had a Ion TTUSB05XL turntable for years for backing up records. No issues, it does the job great and I get great sound. It’s recognised as sound device PCM2900 input. However there’s no speakers on the unit so occasionally I would digitise a recording and then afterwards notice a problem and have to do the entire thing over. I don’t like switching the listen during recording on in audacity in case it causes me problems or glitches.

I bought another Ion turntable last year with inbuilt speakers thinking I’d be able to hear records as I was working from the unit but this time, the device is recognised as a digital stereo mic (?) and the connector rather than being USB even though it is says the connector is digital SPDIF. The recordings are now very dull and lifeless really and certainly nowhere near the quality of my old turntable.

Is there anything I can do to get the new turntable recognised in the way the old one was so I can digitise like I previously did please?

Thank you
Kyle
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: USB Turntables and recording

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

kyle_1974 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:33 am [...] The recordings are now very dull and lifeless really and certainly nowhere near the quality of my old turntable.
[...]
I'm afraid that's very subjective. Might be the quality of the turntable. Might be a setting in your recording software. Probably has nothing to do with Linux (or Linux audio).

If you're recording at 44.1 kHz sample rate and 16 bit Audio bit depth (i.e. CD audio quality) then it should not sound dull. S/PDIf (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) was meant to stream uncompressed CD digital audio (i.e. not digital to analog converted). So it should be all right.

Realize that turn tables nowadays are not meant for serious audio quality lovers. Turn tables in the 70's and 80's were. The resurgence of LP's has nothing to do with the alleged "warmth" of vinyl but with a fad. Millenials like the fact that an LP has a beautiful big record cover. Then they buy a cheap ass record player with an amplifier and speakers built in and listen to something that sounds even worse than a 128 kbps MP3 over a Bluetooth mono speaker. Millennials do not know how something can sound. USB record player manufacturers count on that.

Making a good sounding record player is much more complicated and expensive than making a CD player because of all the little intricate analog components. A CD player uses a chip: that's pretty darn cheap nowadays. If you want a good record player buy a Thorens with a good brand new element cartridge from a good brand recommended by an audiophile. And then you need a good amplifier, but those can be pretty cheap in thrift stores. I saw a Denon for 25 bucks a few weeks ago. I thanked God in the 80's for the CD.

I'm sorry, but I'd use the Pirate Bay do download a CD, SACD or Blue-ray rip of the records that you legally own. It's what I do (don't forget to take a VPN).
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Many thanks for this - I did wonder about the difference in the turntables, it looks like I will stick I with my original Ion unit then and just re-record if a glitch becomes apparent afterwards.

Is there any reason why one unit is identified as PCM2900 and the other is identified as a "Stereo Digital Microphone" with a different connection type even though they are both plugged in the same?

The items I am digitising have never been released on vinyl (some soundtracks etc, I have trawled through discogs and some other sites I use) so this is the only way I have to do it.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

kyle_1974 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:51 am Many thanks for this - I did wonder about the difference in the turntables, it looks like I will stick I with my original Ion unit then and just re-record if a glitch becomes apparent afterwards.

Is there any reason why one unit is identified as PCM2900 and the other is identified as a "Stereo Digital Microphone" with a different connection type even though they are both plugged in the same?

The items I am digitising have never been released on vinyl (some soundtracks etc, I have trawled through discogs and some other sites I use) so this is the only way I have to do it.
The turntables you have probably each contain a different chip to digitize the sound (link PCM2900). That's why your computer names 'm differently.

Good luck with conserving a piece of history. That's important! :)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

kyle_1974 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:33 am I don’t like switching the listen during recording on in audacity in case it causes me problems or glitches.
There should be no problem monitoring the recording through Audacity. Unless you have speakers really loud.
I've done it numerous times.
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

sunrat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:40 pm
kyle_1974 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:33 am I don’t like switching the listen during recording on in audacity in case it causes me problems or glitches.
There should be no problem monitoring the recording through Audacity. Unless you have speakers really loud.
I've done it numerous times.
Sometimes when I have listened back it has brought in a stutter or drag like a latency issue (my problems in this area and associated fixes have been discussed due to the radio stuff). So it's easier for me to just check after the recording is complete now. I do have a fairly high powered computer which is more frustrating.
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:30 pm
kyle_1974 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:51 am Many thanks for this - I did wonder about the difference in the turntables, it looks like I will stick I with my original Ion unit then and just re-record if a glitch becomes apparent afterwards.

The turntables you have probably each contain a different chip to digitize the sound (link PCM2900). That's why your computer names 'm differently.

Good luck with conserving a piece of history. That's important! :)
Thank you - I am annoyed that the difference between the two models is so vastly noticeable. (My eyes might not be pin sharp but my hearing is and I always have studio cans on).

Very annoying. Oh well. I will stick with the old way of doing it should any more vinyl come my way. Thank you.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

kyle_1974 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:42 pmSometimes when I have listened back it has brought in a stutter or drag like a latency issue...
May be a USB issue. I do analog TT (Audio-Technica LP5) > preamp with RIAA EQ > M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI sound card. Works well.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I believe to monitor this recording live would require using a different interface for the playback monitor. Unless specifically setup to resample I suspect the clocks drifting out of sync would cause the issues you describe.

There are differences in quality of the digital chips that can certainly cause some to sound much better than others. I would assume these turntables would also have a built in pre-amp which can also vary in quality.

I was given one of these once by someone who couldn't figure out how to use it. Nothing about these exude quality.

I haven't done a lot of recording from vinyl but when I do I use my old turntable from back in the day through a phono pre-amp and into my PCI or USB audio interface.
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

bluzee wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:25 am I believe to monitor this recording live would require using a different interface for the playback monitor. Unless specifically setup to resample I suspect the clocks drifting out of sync would cause the issues you describe.

There are differences in quality of the digital chips that can certainly cause some to sound much better than others. I would assume these turntables would also have a built in pre-amp which can also vary in quality.

I was given one of these once by someone who couldn't figure out how to use it. Nothing about these exude quality.

I haven't done a lot of recording from vinyl but when I do I use my old turntable from back in the day through a phono pre-amp and into my PCI or USB audio interface.
Aye - the original ion I was bought by an ex gf for me and the sound as I say is great, the new one is lacking. I think I will use the new one just for listening to bits and pieces and use the old one for digitising. I have only a few things that really that I need to do. Also because I have the mixers and interfaces set up for my radio stuff, I could just run the turntables (either one) through those and do it that way - I guess these devices are for people who don't have the set up's we have and just need to back up some old records for the PC or whatever. (As I say though, I really can't fault the first unit for sound quality).

I am still struggling with the SPDIF vs USB as above though even with the explanation above :(

EDIT: Sorry, a better phrasing for me would have been why it's recognised as a stereo microphone - that's what's throwing me a bit. I dual boot so I will see what Windows calls it out of interest.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

kyle_1974 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:34 am [...]
I am still struggling with the SPDIF vs USB as above though even with the explanation above :(
[...]
That's more of a thing for another forum, IMHO. Try a Wikipedia page. I've no idea what your background is. So you might be "fluent" in Math and Science (like me) and know what bitrate, sample rate etc. mean, you might not. In that last case I'm afraid I can't help you. But there must be lots of Facebook groups, forums and Wiki pages that can.

Good luck puzzling! :)
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

It's probably just a matter of what the usbid got entered as in list. The first time that chip showed up it was probably in someone's new microphone.
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:51 am
[...]
That's more of a thing for another forum, IMHO. Try a Wikipedia page. I've no idea what your background is. So you might be "fluent" in Math and Science (like me) and know what bitrate, sample rate etc. mean, you might not. In that last case I'm afraid I can't help you. But there must be lots of Facebook groups, forums and Wiki pages that can.

Thank you, I’ll have a look at the Linux Mint forum as well, more music/recording stuff and this is usually my first port of call 🙂
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

kyle_1974 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:33 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:51 am
[...]

Thank you, I’ll have a look at the Linux Mint forum as well, more music/recording stuff and this is usually my first port of call 🙂
In the Linux Mint forum they won'y have more knowledge about what excactly s/pdif is. They might how to use it. I meant: something like a Wiki about s/pdif. You know: general knowledge, not Linux specific. That might help you.
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Thank you, as it turns out, I found in PulseAudio Volume Control the ability to change it from SPDIF to Audio Codec Analogue Stereo.