Sound Machine Project

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RedHughs
Established Member

Sound Machine Project

Post by RedHughs »

Hi all,

Nice to join the forum after having with Linux for a few months now.

I'm interested in creating a complex ambient sound texture based on playing multiple samples at different times driven by midi input. One effect I'm aiming for is to have a number samples and have a piece of one be played when I press one key on a midi keyboard and a piece of another be played when I press another key on the keyboard.

Currently, I've looked at LMMS, which has an instrument that lets me play a sample as an instrument, indeed stepping through the sample as I press keys. But the program doesn't let me "split" given keyboard so I can't divide my keyboard input between different tracks to get multiple stepping (which is what I'd like).

One way to get a split keyboard effect that I've considered but haven't tried is use QJackCtl to create several midithrough sources and midish to split and otherwise route midi messages. Then I can attach different midi sources to different tracks/instruments in LMMS.

The thing about this is midish does things with it's own particular programming language, which doesn't look hard but a standard language like python seems like it would be a more neat and sustainable solution. Unfortunately, mididings, a python extension for processing midi, won't compile on my system, as far as I can tell, because it was written 10 years ago and uses an out-of-date version of the Boost threading library.

Anyway, advice on any part of this plan would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Red
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Sound Machine Project

Post by Basslint »

I think this kind of things are best done in a modular environment like PureData or BespokeSynth :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
muzikermammoth
Established Member

Post by muzikermammoth »

If you're looking into playing samples, maybe look at qsynth to load up soundfiles. If you're ok with the command line, then maybe fluidsynth. These will help trigger samples, and you can have different samples react to different midi channel inputs.

But what it seems like you want is a sample synth with keyzones. I'm not sure whether this has it, but polyphone might help with creating soundfont libraries.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

LSP Multi-Sampler can do what you are imagining, I think: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&secti ... ampler_x48